Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

I just do Izalith before I do Tomb Of Giants, to get Sunlight Maggot. Problem solved.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The skull lantern is clearly the superior way of going through the tomb, everything else is for degenerates. Fungus spells are for weaklings and you need to be out of your mind to put a giant maggot around your head.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
yes because holding a magic rotten mummified head in your hand makes you look like a sane person. either LIGHT or be a man and challenge the darkness. also i'll never give up on my shield. i may be a pro and don't even need it, but no respectable DS knight goes out without a shield

Latelistener

Arcane
What's the deal with DS2? I heard it had troubles during development and my friend keep saying me to stay the fuck out and don't touch this shit, but sometimes I see different opinions about it.

Also, is it better to play original or SOTFS?

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
What's the deal with DS2? I heard it had troubles during development and my friend keep saying me to stay the fuck out and don't touch this shit, but sometimes I see different opinions about it.

It seems some people really like it. Personally I couldn't stand it more than 60 minutes. Controls, downgrade of graphics (how could it even happen?), clunkyness (if people say that DS1 is clunky they must never have tried out DS2), etc. It does seem to have some stuff going on for it that are cool, but overall I couldn't find it enjoyable.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

I would play SotFS, but only because you can still get multiplayer action.

The game deserves a chance: it's not as inspired as DS1, but it still is a perfectly fine action rpg (whatever that means). You have to suffer through some ugly areas, uninspired bosses and bullshit decisions, but there are some high moments and, particularly, dlc areas are on par with the best content of the first game (except for a couple of optional fights).

DS2 does some things worse than DS1 and some things better. Overall it's a very good game. And significantly bigger than DS1. Nowdays I prefer to replay 2 over 1 because of better multiplayer and build variety.

it's not as inspired as DS1, but it still is a perfectly fine action rpg

I'd say it's a better action RPG than 1. There's a nicer variety of viable builds and stat system is better thought out (in before whining about Adaptability). It's really only the first half of DS1 that I would call better than DS2 because of the way exploration works, but you can only play it so many times before that gets old too.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, decided to go 50 faith, just for the novelty of it. I'm stuck in the painted world and since i'm autistic about losing souls and had like 60000 with me and kept dying like a retard i figured i'd just dunk them on levels and fuck it. Wanted to try to keep it low but i'm getting tons of souls without even trying. Almost level 70 and haven't even killed Stanley and Oliver yet. Fug.

Curratum

I beat DS2 and DS3 twice each, but I frankly could not force myself to finish DS1.

I think I gave up near the top of Sen's Fortress. It was mostly the controls, the hideous input lag / discrepancy between input and onscreen animation and the general clunkiness of absolutely everything.

Will I fare any better if I buy the Remaster of 1? Bear in mind I play on mouse and keyboard and I played old DS1 with the mousefix or whatever it was called mod.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
playing DS with m&K and complaining about clunkiness ....

btw in DS the pace is slower and more akin to a monster hunter game than a super fast action. also you cant dodgespam like in 3. maybe buying a controller and gitting gud will solve your issues

Curratum

btw in DS the pace is slower and more akin to a monster hunter game than a super fast action. also you cant dodgespam like in 3. maybe buying a controller and gitting gud will solve your issues

DS2 and 3 are absolutely fine with mouse and keyboard. I have a controller, but I only use it for fighting games.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

DS2 and 3 are absolutely fine with mouse and keyboard. I have a controller, but I only use it for fighting games.
ok your choice, but keep in mind the game was designed to be played with a controller. playing with keyboard will will make the experience worse .
also what type of character were you playing? maybe since the game is slower than ds3 wich you like playing a fast roll light char with a fast swinging weapon will make things go smoother

Curratum

ok your choice, but keep in mind the game was designed to be played with a controller. playing with keyboard will will make the experience worse .
also what type of character were you playing? maybe since the game is slower than ds3 wich you like playing a fast roll light char with a fast swinging weapon will make things go smoother

I played the easiest possible meta build for 1 that I found online, something like a fast short sword and a shield. I played 3 once through with the Lothric longsword and once with the claymore. 2 was once with the Heide knight sword and once with power-stanced greatswords. It's definitely not be being used to faster / more or whatever.

1 just has horrible, horrible controls in the original release and I was asking whether they are the same in the remaster.

Also, the chief reason I play with mouse is that I want to be able to turn the camera around in a fraction of a second, something that you simply can't do on controller.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

I played the easiest possible meta build for 1 that I found online, something like a fast short sword and a shield. I played 3 once through with the Lothric longsword and once with the claymore. 2 was once with the Heide knight sword and once with power-stanced greatswords. It's definitely not be being used to faster / more or whatever.

1 just has horrible, horrible controls in the original release and I was asking whether they are the same in the remaster.

Also, the chief reason I play with mouse is that I want to be able to turn the camera around in a fraction of a second, something that you simply can't do on controller.
idk what to say. never had a problem with controls in ds1. zero input lag or whatever. some weapons have lenghtier swing animation but that's all. to my knowlodge they didnt change anything about controls in remaster, just redid lighting and some QOL stuff

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did have a friend that had the input lag issue, but, as far as I know, it is very very rare. And it was because From Soft was a newbie at PC stuff.
I suggest you give it another shot. Try the remaster if you haven't changed your hardware configuration. It has most issues solved.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I beat DS2 and DS3 twice each, but I frankly could not force myself to finish DS1.

I think I gave up near the top of Sen's Fortress. It was mostly the controls, the hideous input lag / discrepancy between input and onscreen animation and the general clunkiness of absolutely everything.

Will I fare any better if I buy the Remaster of 1? Bear in mind I play on mouse and keyboard and I played old DS1 with the mousefix or whatever it was called mod.

I guess it depends on which DS you start with. I started with DS1, didn't play 2 and went straight to 3. When I came back to DS2, I felt the control were absolutely horrible and couldn't finish it. I can understand why someone wouldn't like DS1 control coming from DS3. That being said, from DS2 I can't really; but to each his own.

praetor

Arcane
DS2 has the best gameplay and balance in the series (not counting BB), by quite a wide margin. it has its issues (lots of non-DLC levels are bland, boring, short or all of the above, soulMemory is a travesty, adaptability is a nice idea executed very poorly), but at least it's not the boring, derivative, monotonous piece of shit that is DS3 (yes, i'm being too harsh. DS3 is still a fine game, it's still better than most if not all "Soulslikes". but compared to what came before and after? bleh)

i've also watched a couple of streams by that dude that's doing that insane DS2 mod and... if he finishes it, it'll take DS2 to a whole other level and even closer to DS1 (still not surpassing it. DS1 is one of those "magical" games that's somehow better than the sum of its parts. DS2 is the opposite). but at his current pace and with the volume of work he's set out for himself (he's not only redoing the graphics and some areas redecoration... he's tweaking the moveset of every friggin weapon in the game to get rid of that stupid windup they implemented only in DS2 for some stupid reason), it will be a looooooooong ass time before he's done

I'd say it's a better action RPG than 1. There's a nicer variety of viable builds and stat system is better thought out (in before whining about Adaptability). It's really only the first half of DS1 that I would call better than DS2 because of the way exploration works, but you can only play it so many times before that gets old too.

DS2 doesn't have builds. XP is inflated to the point where by mid game you are near the soft cap for every stat. Armor is effectively cosmetic. Magic sucks by end game (all DLC areas esp). You have 4 ring slots and rings were overall nerfed heavily so there's very little noticeable difference in choice. Basically all there is in DS2 is picking a weapon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom