Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For those who gave up on Arcanum to early, a tip

Snufkin

Augur
Start game with character named "Pistol" ( I recommend human, escaped lunatic background). Put two points into smithy discipline, one point into melee skill and unlock agility of fire. Because of that chosen name (Pistol) when you spawn in game look around for fabric discards box. It's hidden a bit to the north when you spawn. It will contain Iron Ore, Steel and Fine Hilt and Guard. Take them and craft Balanced sword. Now cast agility of fire twice and put point into melee. Now you can start cleaning crash site and cave. When you level up twice put 2 points into melee. When possible craft two charged rings. Now you can level up and explore game with no problems and put points where you want. It's probably best to pump strenght to 20.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
You don't really need anything other than balanced sword since even Virgil can wreck everything with it. I think the easiest play-through would be a lot of companions with a lot of balanced swords.

Snufkin

Augur
To be honest , main reason is that i discovered this name trick today by accident. Was hoping to get parts for fine revolver and got ones for balanced sword. Also watching some lets plays on youtube was pretty painful, so yeah i think it's good trick for those who want breezy start.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Start game with character named "Pistol" ( I recommend human, escaped lunatic background). Put two points into smithy discipline, one point into melee skill and unlock agility of fire. Because of that chosen name (Pistol) when you spawn in game look around for fabric discards box. It's hidden a bit to the north when you spawn. It will contain Iron Ore, Steel and Fine Hilt and Guard. Take them and craft Balanced sword. Now cast agility of fire twice and put point into melee. Now you can start cleaning crash site and cave. When you level up twice put 2 points into melee. When possible craft two charged rings. Now you can level up and explore game with no problems and put points where you want. It's probably best to pump strenght to 20.

Or ... You could grab a real gun, put the barrel in your mouth and pull the trigger.

It's even easier.

Erebus

Arcane
Tip. Be mage. Cast harm. Repeat.

Also get Summon Ogre as soon as you can, because summoned ogres are killing machines.

Get Teleportation as soon as you can, unless you want to spend actual hours just walking from place to place.

And get Invisibility as soon as you can, unless you enjoy Arcanum's dungeon. (If you do enjoy Arcanum's dungeons, then seek help.)

Egosphere

Arcane
If you're playing with a firearm build, use a fate point to steal the hand-cannon from the halfling who loiters around Tarant's centre (between the main retail district and Bates' mansion). It's the best firearm you can get early on.
If you're playing melee, you can steal the sword of Baltar from Lianna del Par in Dernholm, but it has a high minimum strength requirement. Better yet, buy the schematic for pyrotechnic axe and craft it as early as you can. Deals massive damage and does not take damage when fighting the stone golems in the mines.

If the mines are too hard, just run past the enemies. On the last level (with the endless traps), find some of the spot trap scrolls that are scattered about. Use one, then immediately go into turn based combat mode. This way the scroll will last for ages, and you can complete the level without much hassle.

jackofshadows

Magister
Use one, then immediately go into turn based combat mode. This way the scroll will last for ages, and you can complete the level without much hassle.
If you're suggesting to abuse, better yet just to set fast turn based mode and walk around freely - that way you'll trigger any trap only if literally click on it. It's possible to run through all that trap corridor w/o using scroll at all thus it can be sold instead. Although I prefer not to abuse anything and just to come to BMC a bit later, after some preparations.

Egosphere

Arcane
Use one, then immediately go into turn based combat mode. This way the scroll will last for ages, and you can complete the level without much hassle.
If you're suggesting to abuse, better yet just to set fast turn based mode and walk around freely - that way you'll trigger any trap only if literally click on it. It's possible to run through all that trap corridor w/o using scroll at all thus it can be sold instead. Although I prefer not to abuse anything and just to come to BMC a bit later, after some preparations.
Well, if you use the slow turn based combat mode you're not, strictly speaking, 'abusing' the system. You're using a scroll to spot the traps, and you'll still be walking around normally, sidestepping the traps as they pop up. The only thing this changes is that, since the game has 0 balancing, the scroll will work for a LOT longer in turn based mode than it would in real time, giving you enough time to traverse the tunnels with only 1 scroll.

jackofshadows

Magister
You're using the fact that in one game's mode scroll lasts way longer, thus letting you to cover a greater dintance. I'd say it is abuse, just a very minor one.

It's a thin line. Some players might say using pyroaxe is abuse because it's broken as fuck (I wouln't go that far, just prefer not to use it though).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
With an investment of just 1 point in Explosives, you can craft Molotov Cocktails from rags (easily found in random rubbish bins) and fuel (fairly cheap to purchase), and these are extremely effective against the tougher enemy groups early in the game.

In the long run, it's easiest, though perhaps boring, to choose melee builds with dodge and aim to reach both strength and dexterity of 20 for the extra bonuses. :M

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Because of that chosen name (Pistol) when you spawn in game look around for fabric discards box. It's hidden a bit to the north when you spawn.

Did try this on gog version but couldn't find that box, well still hitting like a truck with bare hands so I'm just rolling with it.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
With an investment of just 1 point in Explosives, you can craft Molotov Cocktails from rags (easily found in random rubbish bins) and fuel (fairly cheap to purchase), and these are extremely effective against the tougher enemy groups early in the game.

In the long run, it's easiest, though perhaps boring, to choose melee builds with dodge and aim to reach both strength and dexterity of 20 for the extra bonuses. :M
I wouldn't recommend leaning too much on technology, if it's your first playthrough it's best to have Vergil and his heal skill on hand, for that trap-filled hall of black mountain mines. You could buy healing salves, but those are finite.

If it's not your first playthrough, leaning on technology is a great idea. Tinkering with guns, bombs and robots made the combat legitimately fun. It's like a more OTT version of Fallout 1's combat

I will most likely just wait until someone remakes/remasters the game so it's actually good.
Unless they fuck up the parts that already are, that is.

It is actually good. Just get those balanced swords and start whacking everything.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
I started and was trying to romance that high and mighty chick. Turns out I need 11 charisma & should be handsome, that fckn btch only goes out with Chads! Uninstalled.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
I will most likely just wait until someone remakes/remasters the game so it's actually good.
Unless they fuck up the parts that already are, that is.

Why you dont like Arcanum?
Shallow reasons, actually:
  • Abysmal combat (gun mechanics is insultingly shit for a game trying to portray fantasy world undergoing industrial revolution,
    TB+RTWP is awful and half baked,
    thrown explosives are cheesy)
  • Karma/alignment meters (hate this shit, its mere existence is around -1.5 to -2.5pts hit on a 10pt scale for me).
  • Graphics (looks like someone tried to do Fallout at higher res but ended up with offputtingly sterile looking environments and sprites)
    granted, I've seen some cool looking screenies of elven lands and shit like that, but the game is front-loaded with balnd and boring,
    and not even justified bvland and boring as...
  • ...Tarant is flat as fuck, completely ruining any impression of faux-Victorian city it tried to make,
    compare and contrast *any* depiction of XIX century London to understand the magnitude of this failure.
    Sorry, can't fap to this.
Yeah, if I managed to persevere through my initial disgust and disappointment I might end up loving the game, but so far I've always lost my interest early.

Except for guns being lame all of the others become barely noticeable later in the game:
-TB/RT - it's just like M&M, real time for thrash, turn based for everything else
-Karma - it's barley noticeable in the game, you get good karma for playing the game normally and evil karma for acting like a psycho
-Graphics - it's an acquired taste
Tarant - you leave this shithole behind to get to actually interesting locations
The problem with Arcanum is that everything makes and impression that knight in shining armor is a think of the past, but in the actual game whacking people with swords (not even balanced ones) is the best and most reliable solution.
The game deserves a chance because it's more than the main gimmick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom