Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry What is the best mainline Wizardry game?

What is the best Wizardry game?

• Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord

• Wizardry II: The Knight of Diamonds

• Wizardry III: Legacy of Llylgamyn

• Wizardry IV: The Return of Werdna

• Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom

• Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge

• Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant

• Wizardry 8

Results are only viewable after voting.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Legacy of Llylgamyn is underrated AF. It rebalances and perfects the system from the first game, while adding new weapons and enemies. It's easily the best game in the original trilogy.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
6, 1 and 5 are all solid. 4 is special. 2 is too short. 7 is too long. 3 is too unbalanced.
And I see Lady Error hasn't voted yet, as there are no votes for 7.

Reality

Learned
I can't go for 3 because riddle boss vaguely annoys me.(The Priests of Fung are the true final boss I guess) So it's a toss up between 1 and 5 for me.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
6, 1 and 5 are all solid. 4 is special. 2 is too short. 7 is too long. 3 is too unbalanced.
How is 7 too long? The game is only too long if it's uneven in quality, especially if later parts are unfinished or less interesting to play. Do you really think that's the case here?

I voted 7 but to be honest i only played 7, 8 and tried 6 for a moment or two. I know, those parts are popamole compared to first 5.

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
Man my favorite will always be Wizardry 7, first one i played was wizardry 1 for the nes i rented it fro a grocery store way way back in the days. but i would have to say the wizardry series is one of the best man!

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
How is 7 too long? The game is only too long if it's uneven in quality, especially if later parts are unfinished or less interesting to play. Do you really think that's the case here?

I voted 7 but to be honest i only played 7, 8 and tried 6 for a moment or two. I know, those parts are popamole compared to first 5.
The best rpgs for computers have been the ones that were to long...wizardry 7, mm6, ultima 6 and 7, omg must i go on? those are games i would put up against any game now a days poe, poe2 and so on.

Reality

Learned
I would never try to fight things like wiz 6 Tyrannosaurs or the last two Gorrors in 7 - but just getting to the normal endgame levels doesn't feel like too much

I think that the main game and "medium" optional content like the 4 Isle of Dead Bosses in 6 and the weaker 3 Gorrors are okay lengthwise, although maybe areas with robot random encounters grind on a little too.

In terms of raw map square Wiz 7 isn't a slouch

Here's a "all area interconnected map"

https://www.oldgames.sk/images/oldgames/rpg/Wizardry.7/Map/Wizardry7-Mapd.png

I can't find a wizard 6 map shown the same way but the total of the big areas - Castle + Mines + Pyramid + River Styx + Isle of the dead + Forest - and adding the small areas like Hazard + Swamp + Isle of the Damned + Temple of Ramm adds up to a lot smaller game.

My guess would be about 5/8 of the raw overworld of Wiz 7 (not counting ANY of the indoor areas in Wiz 7 shown on the right of this picture at all)

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
I would never try to fight things like wiz 6 Tyrannosaurs or the last two Gorrors in 7 - but just getting to the normal endgame levels doesn't feel like too much

I think that the main game and "medium" optional content like the 4 Isle of Dead Bosses in 6 and the weaker 3 Gorrors are okay lengthwise, although maybe areas with robot random encounters grind on a little too.

In terms of raw map square Wiz 7 isn't a slouch

Here's a "all area interconnected map"

https://www.oldgames.sk/images/oldgames/rpg/Wizardry.7/Map/Wizardry7-Mapd.png

I can't find a wizard 6 map shown the same way but the total of the big areas - Castle + Mines + Pyramid + River Styx + Isle of the dead + Forest - and adding the small areas like Hazard + Swamp + Isle of the Damned + Temple of Ramm adds up to a lot smaller game.

My guess would be about 5/8 of the raw overworld of Wiz 7 (not counting ANY of the indoor areas in Wiz 7 shown on the right of this picture at all)
May I ask why you wouldnt fight them? i mean rexx in wiz7 was bad ass i had fun, Godzilla in 7 was even harder but i loved the fight. Heck man i thought the harder fights were the savant troopers with there para spears 75% it sucks when all your tanks are para'd and mages up front and no magic power to cast spells lol

Last edited:

fishdoggames

Ellis Studios
Developer
If 6 and 7 are the best I imagine how bad the other ones are.
Oh no the others are good too, I loved 1 and 5 i played 2 and 3 on nes so i could not vouch for them on pc. but 6 and 7 opened up a whole other can of worms lol

newtmonkey

Arcane
I'm torn between Wiz 1 and Wiz 5, but decided to go with Wiz 5 for its expanded gameplay mechanics and lack of "filler" floors. Having said that, I think I enjoyed Wiz 1 slightly more.

Ysaye

Arbiter
For those that voted for Wiz 6, why did you vote that over Wiz 7? Note it is not a criticism, there are things I like better in 6 (and I have ultimately voted for Wiz 1), but just would love to hear an argument....

octavius

Arcane
Patron

It's too long because all the wandering NPC parties are dead halfway through the game. And if the encounter rate was halved it would have improved considerably. Fighting the same limited types of encounters combined with no random loot means the game drags on too long for my taste.
But it does have some late game fun in the form of the Gorrors, though.

Last edited:

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Much better.

Wizardry 6 is a fine game, but 7 is shit. I half-believe it's some sort of inside joke on this forum to pretend to like Wizardry 7, I don't see how someone could enjoy that bloated autistic mess.

Early Wizardries are fast-paced and straightforward, some of the most tense games I've played; while Wizardry 8 manages to turn Wiz7's systems into something actually enjoyable, replaces dice rolls with point buy (as befits a game where you're not supposed to permanently lose party members), and is generally much less of a save scumming simulator than the previous two titles.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Much better.

Wizardry 6 is a fine game, but 7 is shit. I half-believe it's some sort of inside joke on this forum to pretend to like Wizardry 7, I don't see how someone could enjoy that bloated autistic mess.

Early Wizardries are fast-paced and straightforward, some of the most tense games I've played; while Wizardry 8 manages to turn Wiz7's systems into something actually enjoyable, replaces dice rolls with point buy (as befits a game where you're not supposed to permanently lose party members), and is generally much less of a save scumming simulator than the previous two titles.
Two edgelords exchanging thoughts. Usual day at the Codex.

Incendax

Augur
Wizardry 6 is excellent and has good pacing. But it definitely lacks some advances that came in 7.
Wizardry 7 is probably the best combination of world building and exploration. My vote for best overall, even with some flaws.
Wizardry 8 starts out great and everyone remembers that part fondly, but the second half is basically empty and unfinished.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom