Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGCodex lost it's prestige & I blame Witcher 3

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The generational switch on codex is very real and I guess the popularity of witcher is as good example for it as any.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Muh gameplay, the thread.

OP is probably still unaware there are two major aspects to games - 1) the writing, 2) the mechanics. I have breaking news - some people actually do consider the story, characters, vibe and aesthetics important for their enjoyment. Shocking I know.

Yes I wish TW3 was better mechanically. I've been ranting about its catastrophic itemization and meagre chardev on this forum for years. But I'd rather play a game where the mechanics are acceptable at best but characters look, talk and behave like real adults than mechanically savvy autism concentrates like Nintendo games or most jRPGs with writing and aesthetics aimed at mentally handicapped pre-schooler Teletubbies fans.

Sorry gameplay fags, too old for this shit, by about 30 years:

jrpgdemo.jpg

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Codex consistently voted Planescape Torment the best RPG ever and you don't think this place is filled with storyfags?

Pretty much this.
It's interesting that OP as failed to realize that this site has been a den of storyfags since it's early days (back then it was even more of a Black Isle/Troika fan club really) despite claiming he's been lurking here since '07.

OP is probably still unaware there are two major aspects to games - 1) the writing, 2) the mechanics.

Actually the 2 most important aspects to a game are: 1) Gameplay; 2) Content (quests, level design, exploration).
But then again this coming from a guy that would rather play Call of Duty to Doom if it had a ''mature'' story. So it's not surprising you are this wrong.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Actually the 2 most important aspects to a game are: 1) Gameplay; 2) Content (quests, level design, exploration).

Dude, quests = writing. Exploration = world design and world design = mechanics.

You've made an utter eintopf here. You don't know what you're talking about.

But then again this coming from a guy that would rather play Call of Duty to Doom

I have never played either and never will. I don't play FPS. Again, you're mixing shit up willy nilly. We're talking about RPGs here.

Btw yes, I'd MUCH rather play Witcher 3 than some retarded Zelda, that's a total no-brainer for me.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
A game where your gameplay consists of following lines, lines on your map, lines on your horse, lines on the ground, lines in the air... a game where the rpg mechanics doesn't matter, where combat is brain dead, a game where nothing requires any thought, a condescending game that insults your intelligence as it babies you.

Yeah but the awesome button activates Witcher senses so you can SEE said lines. Now THAT's roleplaying!

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
quests = writing

Not really.
The writing part of the quest gives the context why are doing that and how it fits with the ovarall story.
But when you are designing the quest - making the level, placing the obstacles and interactables, thinking about ways to solve that quest, how/what to challenge the player and the pacing of this whole adventure - the storyfaggotry doesn't play much part in it.
And by the way, when I said quests I was refering to the main game activities.

world design = mechanics

Don't mix things up.
Mechanics are part of the gameplay. And level design is it's own thing.
Gameplay and Content need to complement each other and designed with the other part in mind, but still one is not the other nor is designed like the other.

I have never played either and never will. I don't play FPS. Again, you're mixing shit up willy nilly. We're talking about RPGs here.

The point of the statement was rather clear.
That you think consider ''games'' with more emphasis on the non-game aspects better games than those that do the oposite.
I mean you said it yourself several times.

Last edited:

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
It dropped to 40th in the thread with downvotes. For comparison, while there was some shuffling in the top 10, none of them left that group.

Edit: The TRVE Codex Top 101 49

1ENnmzk.png

Even after receiving the second and third most downvotes, respectively, Morrowind and Baldur's Gate 2 did not budge from their positions, which really shows the gulf between the top 10 and everything else.
All is not lost afterall.

---------

If Witcher 3 had writing as good as planescape I can atleast accept it for the story faggotary. But you wankers who like it, like it for the presentation and mah! Emotions. Not for meaningful writing so FCK off! The writing is for emotions than anything intellectual. So fck off with your fallacy.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The first similar thread I recall must date back to 2004 or something. Someone should find all those ancient threads and post them in a list.

Last edited:

bat_boro

Arcane
Now, I go look at the Top 101 PC RPG list. I see Gothic two places below the Witcher 3. I see Witcher 3 among the top being recognized as a modern classic. A game where your gameplay consists of following lines, lines on your map, lines on your horse, lines on the ground, lines in the air... a game where the rpg mechanics doesn't matter, where combat is brain dead, a game where nothing requires any thought, a condescending game that insults your intelligence as it babies you. This is what I see above Gothic. A pathetic game balanced so poorly that you would think the guy who designed it has mental issues. A game for a child, by a child. Maybe written & presented well but nevertheless treats you as a child even in it's main narrative.

Can confirm this, I've been replaying this since I wanted something that I can switch my mind off while doing and I've been deliberately avoiding spending any points in abilities. I beat the OC + HoS and I'm now level 40-something in BoW with 40 attributes points still unspent. Playing on Blood and Broken Bones btw

Funposter

Arcane
WITCHER 3 IS BAD BECAUSE IT'S POPULAR AND PEOPLE ON REDDIT LIKE IT StOP LIKING POPULAR THINGS ARGH REEEEEEEEEEEE

Witcher 3 isn't a bad game. It's quite a lot of fun in my opinion, but if it belongs anywhere in a list of top 100 RPGs, it's probably closer to the middle than the top, and that's without even getting into semantic arguments over whether or not it really qualifies as an RPG in the first place. It has more in common with Grand Theft Auto V than it does with a lot of the games in the Codex top 10.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Saying Bloodlines isn't a storyfag RPG is a real stretch. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with storyfag RPGs.

Edit: nvm, the above comment was deleted.

Delterius

Arcane

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My mother in law plays Witcher 3.

My mother beat Silent Hill 2 on hard so not sure this means much. However it's also true Witcher 3 is made for the "quick farting around after work" market, so it makes sense older people less into HARDKOREZ GAMENG might dump time into it. Tuck the kids into bed, load it up, see some fun story moments, check off some quest markers, then go to bed yourself. That's what they copied from Bethesda more than anything, open world aside.

Saduj

Arcane
Decline is signified by the trend in forum discussion shifting from discussion of games to discussion of why other people are wrong to like games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom