Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XCOM: Chimera Squad - humans and aliens team up

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://xcom.com

https://af.gog.com/game/xcom_chimera_squad?as=1649904300

Surprise!

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/882100/view/2225283351318434572

XCOM: Chimera Squad, all-new story in the XCOM universe, launches April 24

Welcome to City 31, the epicenter of XCOM: Chimera Squad -- a new game set in the XCOM universe.

Five years after the events of XCOM 2, humanity has driven back the Overlords and reclaimed Earth. Now humans and former alien soldiers work and live together as they strive to forge a civilization of cooperation and coexistence.

City 31, the setting for XCOM: Chimera Squad, has become a model of peace in the post-invasion world; however, not all who dwell here support interspecies alliance. Enter Chimera Squad, an elite force of human and alien agents who must work together to identify and thwart the hidden threats that seek to upend this fragile peace in City 31.

Each agent in Chimera Squad has their own story, unique set of skills and motivations driving them, all of which you’ll learn in XCOM: Chimera Squad as you uncover conspiracies, breach enemy strongholds and work to keep City 31 from descending into chaos. The future of City 31 depends on you.

Features:
  • Unique Alien and Human Agents: Each of the 11 agents have their own distinct personality and tactical abilities, including species-specific attacks like the Viper’s tongue pull.
  • Specialized and Complementary Classes: Execute devastating combos by teaming the right agents and utilizing cooperative actions. The difference between mission success and failure can depend wholly on team composition.
  • Re-Envisioned Tactical Combat: Missions are structured as a series of discrete, explosive encounters, keeping the action intense and unpredictable.
  • Breach Mode: Shape the battlefield to your advantage with a new combat phase that injects your squad right into action. Strategically assign your agents to different entry points and coordinate their assault with a range of Breach-specific skills.
  • Interleaved Turns: An automatic initiative system slots individual agents and enemies into an alternating turn order, creating new strategic possibilities based on what unit is queued to act next—and what unit is at the greatest risk when they do.
  • Suspenseful Strategy Layer: Outside of combat, manage the operations of a high-tech HQ, where you must prioritize competing tasks, investigations, and agent assignments in the face of a ticking clock: the constantly rising unrest in the city’s various districts, driving City 31 closer and closer to total anarchy.
Be sure to follow the XCOM: Chimera Squad community hub and add the game to your wishlist here on Steam. Follow the XCOM social channels below to keep up to date with all things XCOM. You can play XCOM: Chimera Squad when it launches here on Steam on April 24, 2020.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Funny: As RPGs such as Wasteland 3 switch to XCOM-style squad-based turn order, this game is switching to initiative-based turn order.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Wonder his team is working on a new IP instead of XCOM 3.

Also this reminds me of that Divinity Fallen Heroes probably was called Divinity Apocalypse Squad at some point.

Mazisky

Magister
I think this game is set to introduce Xcom 3: Apocalypse which will be revealed later this year. That's my guess

Edit: i noticed now that this game has been made by a different smaller team while the main Xcom team is working on a full title, which points to my quote above.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, tiresome diversity schtick is tiresome - but the gameplay does look quite interesting. Will they be able to pull it off? Let's see!

Codex Year of the Donut
City 31, the setting for XCOM: Chimera Squad, has become a model of peace in the post-invasion world; however, not all who dwell here support interspecies alliance. Enter Chimera Squad, an elite force of human and alien agents who must work together to identify and thwart the hidden threats that seek to upend this fragile peace in City 31.
XCOM: Thought crimes edition

Falksi

Arcane
Interesting that they've chosen to take this approach with some of the dullest aliens in the entire series history.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really don't like the switch to named story characters that force a restart on death.
The pre-mission planning stage could be interesting though.
OMG, it looks like the initiative system is a round robin by default, inspired by D:OS2. Why???
Regarding diversity, having aliens to play with sounds cool, even though it doesn't make a lot of sense (unless they were "enslaved" by the Elders?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
WCCFxcomchimerasquad1.jpg

:prosper:

lightbane

Arcane
:abyssgazer:
This is literally XCOM: Diversity Squad. What the fuck...
I know it's a low price, but it does look like shit and recycled assets everywhere. At least this cashgrab looks better than RE3, and doesn't seem to have DRM or be stuck in Epic.

Codex Year of the Donut
Funny: As RPGs such as Wasteland 3 switch to XCOM-style squad-based turn order, this game is switching to initiative-based turn order.
Squad-based turn order helps speed up combat and makes enemy turns feel less 'intrusive'. I'd like to see an RPG that uses both initiative and squad-based combat depending on how many enemies you're fighting. Bonus points for asynchronous enemy turns.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah this stinks. XCOM is one of the biggest IPs in the industry, you don't "announce" a new XCOM game like this.

Plus -50% for a pre-purchase? Yeah, no. Not before other suckers ITT buy and feedback it.

Empary

Scholar
So XCOM 3 will be apocalypse "remake"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom