Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WHAT IS THE COOLEST GAME EVER?

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Surely Wipeout 2097?

It's literally Wipeout with more tracks.

Anyway, yea, I always preferred it to F-Zero as you had to take so much extra care with handling. You see people playing F-Zero and just bumping off the sides of the tracks like it's nothing, whereas hitting track edges in wipeout completely fucks up your momentum. The skill ceilling is just mountains higher

Parsifarka

Arcane
Daredevil Donut Lad obviously
donut-lad.png

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Anyway, yea, I always preferred it to F-Zero as you had to take so much extra care with handling. You see people playing F-Zero and just bumping off the sides of the tracks like it's nothing, whereas hitting track edges in wipeout completely fucks up your momentum. The skill ceilling is just mountains higher
The trade off in F-zero is health you'll keep of the edge if you want to survive and get good times, I don't see how losing speed in a game about speed is appealing at all it seems like petty sadism besides being way less cool, which wipeout also loses at with its generic futuristic look.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Wipeout is plagued by sun flared white looking crap starting with 3 that's what I call generic, before that it loses to f-zero in sense of speed.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
F-Zero is so easy that it's not satisfying in the slightest to play it well. That's also why it can be so much faster.

Edit - I think it's also worth mentioning that Wipeout goes some way towards actually simulating a hovercraft, you actually have to learn to work with the gravity field around your vehicle

Last edited:

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
At lower skill levels staying alive in F-zero X is a challenge the trade off between between speed and dying is real, in GX that maybe true for the courses but there was a campaign hard enough the game was disliked for it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why are you idiots arguing about tightly balanced gameplay and accuracy of hovercraft simulation. None of that has anything to do with the rule of muthafuckin cool.

Modron

Arcane
Can we agree that a game where you can fire an autocannon sending 10 10kt nuclear shells downrange every second is automatically the coolest game ever?

Highly civilised Gentlemen like myself do not fetishise destruction and violence, you subhuman pig.

Coolest game right here.

Dream_Daddy_Steam_header.jpg
Dream Daddy was the first game strong enough to dethrone PUBG from steam's number one sale spot for multiple weeks.

DemonKing

Arcane
Masturbation. That's a game right?

Single player only though...

Even though it's not quite a top shelf game, Doom Eternal is pretty cool when you're blazing away with big guns and glory killing demons to a heavy metal soundtrack. Then you have to do jumping puzzles...

Archwizard Hank

Learned
You guys keep citing Cool Spot as the coolest of the cool, but you're overlooking the seminal 90s radicool gnarly mega tubular fever nightmare

ToeJam_%26_Earl.png

JAMMIN'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom