Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

rogueknight333

Arbiter
The honest appraisal is that they released NWN with essentially zero changes beyond a beamdog logo.

If only. Had there actually been zero changes beyond a new logo I would not have to spend so much time troubleshooting all the new bugs Beamdog introduced.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
We'll never know because the Beamdog hate here prevents an honest appraisal.

You could always, you know, play the EE yourself and come up with your own opinion, like your so-called "haters" have.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You could always, you know, play the EE yourself and come up with your own opinion, like your so-called "haters" have.

I will someday. I obviously meant it's impossible to know before playing yourself. Not calling anyone a hater either, it might be total trash. I have no idea, that's the point.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I will someday. I obviously meant it's impossible to know before playing yourself. Not calling anyone a hater either, it might be total trash. I have no idea, that's the point.

It's not trash let alone total trash. It's just that it's not there yet. And it might take years before it is, if it ever does get there. For example, Baldur's Gate: EE still has bugs that weren't in the originals, and it came out almost 8 years ago. It's an ongoing process, and a slow one, for various reasons.

I don't play MP, so I don't care, but NWN:EE has made MP better for those that do. It probably works on more current gen PCs than Diamond does, too, but it depends on individual setups. At this point, we have two versions of NWN which aren't satisfactory for many players.

It's also caused some headaches for module builders because now they need to ensure module-compatibility over two versions (+ ongoing patches which with Beamdog just go on and on).

NWN:EE gave us DoD:EE (which I promoted) and caused Savant to overhaul Aielund Saga. Judging by posts on the Vault, it's also caused a fair bit of enthusiasm but also some butthurt in the community, too.

It's 50/50 right now, I'd say. Neither here nor there, six and one half dozen.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It's certainly not worth whatever Beamdog charges for it.

It's worth it if you want to play MP (many do), want to support Ossian ('Dex likes Ossian) or want the few enhancements that it currently brings. There are a few genuine (though minor) enhancements that have been made, but it's also caused bugs in community-made modules, and isn't compatible with some of my fave technical mods (which are much more valuable to me than Beamdog's enhancements).

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It's certainly not worth whatever Beamdog charges for it.

It's worth it if you want to play MP (many do), want to support Ossian ('Dex likes Ossian) or want the few enhancements that it currently brings. There are a few genuine (though minor) enhancements that have been made, but it's also caused bugs in community-made modules, and isn't compatible with some of my fave technical mods (which are much more valuable to me than Beamdog's enhancements).

Fifteen bucks for just the base game, FIFTY for all the DLC is outrageous.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

It depends on whether you play MP or not, don't you think? There are many MP players that play every day in DM'ed worlds/PWs. Aurora MP is srs business.

That Furiae faggotry isn't worth a dime, though.

_V_

Scholar
Also, is the Shifter prestige class actually worth it?
In addition to what rogueknight said:
Developing a Shifter will usually net you a gimmicky melee character. Splash in monk levels for the wis AC bonus and dump the physical stats since you'll always adopt those stats of the form you shift into.
When you finally get to dragon form (around lvl 36, IIRC; Ailund Saga is the only module I know of where you reach that level naturally) you'll be quite powerful. But for the most part in most modules until then a straight forward melee type will be at least as powerful and a lot less finnicky.
And you'd not play as a caster. (Eventhough some forms have special abilities.)
All that said, my shifter char will always have a special place in my heart.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Are all the bugs people complain about rooted in mods and fan modules? Because I'd never use those.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Are all the bugs people complain about rooted in mods and fan modules? Because I'd never use those.

In that case, I do not see why you need to bother about NWN at all. The toolset and the modules produced by it, as well as the game's exceptional multi-player capabilities, are the only things that make NWN interesting. The OCs by themselves make for a decidedly second-rate (on a generous assessment) RPG.

Most reported bugs appear to have cropped up in fan-made modules, because those are the main things that people who actually care about NWN are going to be playing. Nevertheless, a few bugs have been reported in the official content as well.

$15 for the base game (probably less if you wait for a sale) actually seems pretty reasonable. A bit more than the pocket change GOG charged for NWN Diamond on sales, but not really that much more. Somewhere on the planet there are probably gamers poor enough to actually be hurt by the slight price increase, rather than just object to it on principle, but I am doubtful there are that many of them. And you do not have to bother with any DLC you are not interested in. If a company is going to be making EEs at all it obviously has to charge enough for them to make at least some profit. Perhaps EEs should not in fact be made, but that is a different argument.

To be fair to Beamdog, they do face a tricky dilemma. If they make too few changes to a game they are attempting to enhance, people will complain they are not getting their money's worth. If they make too many changes, then people will complain that the original experience that made the game special in the first place has been ruined. In addition, every change made increases the chance new bugs will be introduced. Although the inherent difficulty of navigating between those two hazards could also be used as an argument that EEs, if they are going to be made, really ought to be entrusted to hands more competent than Beamdog's appear to be.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

It depends on whether you play MP or not, don't you think? There are many MP players that play every day in DM'ed worlds/PWs. Aurora MP is srs business.

That Furiae faggotry isn't worth a dime, though.

You don't allow direct messages so I have to do this I am sorry :/ I am doing a mod for JA2 that just adds a few new maps. Arulco in my opinion can use some new encounters. Would you like to help with enemy soldier placment? I know this is just wishful thinking but I could also implement a new solldier based on you.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
In that case, I do not see why you need to bother about NWN at all. The toolset and the modules produced by it, as well as the game's exceptional multi-player capabilities, are the only things that make NWN interesting. The OCs by themselves make for a decidedly second-rate (on a generous assessment) RPG.

Most reported bugs appear to have cropped up in fan-made modules, because those are the main things that people who actually care about NWN are going to be playing. Nevertheless, a few bugs have been reported in the official content as well.

The main campaign was always super meh but I disagree the others are worthless. Also I want to play the newer ones, because I (shocker) love CRPGs and want to check them out. Anyway, judgments about taste aside... thanks for your input.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
https://steamcommunity.com/app/704450/discussions/0/1742268488172466776/?ctp=2

upload_2020-6-7_23-59-29.png

:lol::lol::lol:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Wtf is NWN renderer and why did they try to rewrite it? The game is and was ugly, rewriting renderer won't make it look pretty.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I have to wonder which would have been more easier, re-writing the ancient renderer or "plugging" in an existing modern renderer to NWN. Or was the codebase too messy anyway I wonder.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Does Beamdog have any plans to do NWN2? I played it about half way through years ago, and I've been trying to get into it (it has lots of good things about it) but I can't get over the awful control setup (e.g. the fact that you can't invert mouse in all 3 modes and numerous other little niggles like that).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wtf is NWN renderer and why did they try to rewrite it? The game is and was ugly, rewriting renderer won't make it look pretty.
I would've personally cursed them with small pox had they tried to change my beloved blockiness. I don't care about the EE and have no intention of buying it, but that blasphemous outrage can't be overlooked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom