Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship Combat Beta Thread

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Just completed the demo, looks like i skipped the last fight and i didn't save because i wasn't sure if it was a new arena ... :negative:
The energy rifle made it worthwile to have even an under-levelled rifle secondary skill.

It's very good but shields and camo devices are overpowered, each very tough fights features the next gen shield.
The fight after visiting the bar was the most difficult had to restart 2/3 times and saved when when i only had the bar recruit dying.

Mostly, what makes fights harder is not having a say in your companion's builds.
- SMG are kings but you need every bit of THC you can get
- Pistols are good to debuf enemies and finish enemies off, Billy did well, finally.
- I want to like rifles (i always have a sniper in a team when i can) but it's really not very good until you get that energy rifle, it's probably going to be better in the main game when you don't always start so close, also, i didn't play a fully developed/specialized sniper (stopped after 5/6 fights) all the way though.
- You should add some difficulty settings in the final release, otherwise, the retards steam people are going to sink the game's ratings (option : one easy "fix" could be an extra free special feat for the easy mode, beginner's Luck : +10 THC +10 Evade +10 HP)

Combat is really good, the little writing there is doesn't disappoint but i'll add my voice for a larger font/UI as i like to play far away from the screen.

I'm going to try a different build soon, probably a shotgun or a full sniper (i'm a masochist sometimes).

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The burst fire 9mm rifle isn't too shabby. Lower AP to shoot regularly than the other rifles, too.

I'm wondering if dropping 2.5 grand on the fancy rifle is worth it, or if I should just cross my fingers and hope for a good rifle to appear in one of the upcoming battles.

Deleted Member 22431

The burst fire 9mm rifle isn't too shabby. Lower AP to shoot regularly than the other rifles, too.
The question was whether relying on aimed attacks with long riffles was a viable strategy.

Shadenuat

Arcane
there will be a snipo rifle in battles. with <change description> and unique name.
Johny still has better damage though, higher is only energy rifle.
I prefer to first buy Colt for billy though and SMG for blonde princess

SMG are kings but you need every bit of THC you can get
try multi headed shotguns with +6 ap and +50 crit on kill perks.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
there will be a snipo rifle in battles. with <change description> and unique name.

I'll hold out for the sniper rifle then, and if it underwhelms I'll get the johny rifle. Bullets already cost a tonne, I don't want to find out the price of energy ammunition.

Billy had an unfortunate accident, so pistols are not a thing in my current play-through.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
are they like long term investment?

I guess they are for one-shot builds, with that feat that gives +4 AP atthe start,plus maybe that one gives +6AP on kill.
So fight ends before it even starts.

I still don't get it the function of the toggle reaction button.

Wait whaere it is? It's bad as melee vs shield that damage you on attack.

Shadenuat

Arcane
are they like long term investment?

I guess they are for one-shot builds, with that feat that gives +4 AP atthe start,plus maybe that one gives +6AP on kill.
So fight ends before it even starts.
other weapons at their best can go for 3 enemies/turn, so killing one for err 26 ap is not actually good.

just add like 2 extra damage on bolter/betsy and add kalashnikov to main shop. will help.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Your reaction is a bit low here, but I hereby confirm your membership of CLUB MC HAMMER
:salute:
Jokes aside, seems that reaction bonus from True Grit feat isn't working. 15 from Lone wolf, 20 from Gladiator and that's it.
It working nicely, just in combat.
LBzxSm1.png

Tigranes

Arcane
It just means "Don't use this weapon for reaction attacks".
But why? So that the other weapon is your choice of reaction?

It's very useful.

E.g. X weapon is your secondary, so half the time your reaction shots are just waste of time missing because your skill isn't good enough. And then it's a shotgun so now you have no ammo on your turn ever. Turning it off means your reaction shots use your pistol (great), then you can always turn to your shotgun when you need for a shot you can line up (great).

Also if you put energy cells in a weapon yeah you dont want to waste that.

Deleted Member 22431

Vault Dweller said:
  • Different weapons require different tactics, feats, and gear. If your melee fighter blindly charges at five enemies with machine guns, don't be surprised if they promptly turn your character into Swiss cheese. You need high Evasion, boosted by a Distortion Field generator, you need smoke grenades (ranged penalty is much higher than melee penalty) and ideally thermal vision goggles. They can't hit what they can't see. Keep in mind that your rangers might find themselves on the receiving end one day.

• Even within the same class, different weapons are designed for different things. Long barrel pistols are designed for range and marksmanship. Revolvers for speed and reaction fire. Multi-barrel pistols are for double shots. So using a multi-barrel pistol in single-fire mode over some range would be a mistake whereas using it to deal with people who tend to get in your face would be a perfectly fine choice.

Vault Dweller

Bladed weapons, e.g., knifes, are designed for what?

Blunt weapons are designed for what?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller

Bladed weapons, e.g., knifes, are designed for what?

Blunt weapons are designed for what?

Knives: Focus on aimed and Interrupt
"Swords" (Machete and chopper): Focus on grazes and interrupt.
Axes: Focus on penetration and criticals.

Blunt Weapons: High Damage, Knockdown and stagger. 1H has a bit more THC, 2H more graze.

Bladed has more THC than Blunt, but lower damage.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

I'll hold out for the sniper rifle then, and if it underwhelms I'll get the johny rifle. Bullets already cost a tonne, I don't want to find out the price of energy ammunition.

Billy had an unfortunate accident, so pistols are not a thing in my current play-through.

There's another pistol guy later in the game(IIRC before the Carter fight).

Trash Player

Scholar
Anyone (who beat the demo or close to it) wants to do me a favor and help this guy?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/648410/discussions/0/3581993464537854486/

Weapons:
The starting hammer is really bad compared to the blade. That makes blades much more efficient (since it's better at the beginning, I find it easier to beat opponents with a blade even when I put a point in blunt weapons). So it's difficult to assess the actual effectiveness of these weapons.
Ranged weapons feel too weak. Shotguns can be used at point-blank, but if you try to play a sniper, you're going to be hit by a lot of attacks of opportunity.
Obviously blunt is very valid and the starting 'hammer' is more than enough to beat the first 3 fights, but I have a feeling he wouldn't believe me if I tell him. Ranged isn't weak either, shotguns aren't limited to point blank, etc.
You give new players pipe guns and expect them to have a different opinion? They will have to go through a few builds for just the first 3 fights. The starting blunt weapon is worse than the bladed one in terms of what you need at that point. Remember players will evaluate with only limited information gained from play, while you have a database to fall back to.

Deleted Member 22431

You give new players pipe guns and expect them to have a different opinion? They will have to go through a few builds for just the first 3 fights. The starting blunt weapon is worse than the bladed one in terms of what you need at that point. Remember players will evaluate with only limited information gained from play, while you have a database to fall back to.
You have plenty of weapons and ammo to choose from. The first fights are easy. If the player doesn't learn after failing a few times, he will never learn because he doesn't want to understand the intricacies of the system.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
You give new players pipe guns and expect them to have a different opinion? They will have to go through a few builds for just the first 3 fights.
The first 3 fights are very easy, equivalent of a tutorial. The first guy is there for target practice, then you have a weak melee mob, then you have a single guy with an energy shield. You can easily beat all 3 fights with the starting weapon (without switching to a better one).

The starting blunt weapon is worse than the bladed one in terms of what you need at that point.
The prevailing opinion among the testers was that blunt was better and they kept asking for bleeding for bladed to make it as good as blunt.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is the money meant to be super tight? Do we get cash from winning fights? Because the only source of income I've noticed after four fights is selling unneeded goods.

Shadenuat

Arcane
the first fights can be as easy as left clicking enemies with club/shotgun/bursting them or as rolling face on keyboard running around for 5 turns with pipe guns missing 49% of 95% of the time.

so tbh I don't entirely disagree with statement about peashooter beginnings.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I found that money starts to pile up after the first fights. I had the same impression at first that ammo would be very scarce, but that isn't the case.

As for blunt vs blades, I stuck with a blade all the way through that costed one less ap. Besides, the charger trait allowed me to chase riflemen and hit them with a flurry on the first turn. Either they died or became pretty much useless since all they could do on their next turn was run away (with the added risk of triggering a reaction and dying) and take a single shot before their inevitable demise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom