Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie VAPORUM - Steampunk Dungeon Crawler

Sinatar

Arbiter
Moving around is very important but you can't just endlessly circle enemies, they can attack to the sides, behind and in AOE's so you have to learn each enemy types attack patterns and act accordingly.

As far as dungeon master style real time blobbers go, this has some of the most interesting combat.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Moving around is very important but you can't just endlessly circle enemies, they can attack to the sides, behind and in AOE's so you have to learn each enemy types attack patterns and act accordingly.

As far as dungeon master style real time blobbers go, this has some of the most interesting combat.

Definitely not your standard enemies. Some enemies have AOE, but mostly only bosses can have special attacks like attacking sides or pulling you towards them so far.

I just got to the poison gas level boss and so far its the only one that can attack to the side. The disco dance floor is mostly still on, though i am liking the game nevertheless

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I found this game to be surprisingly good and intriguing. The combat was very entertaining, and the overall world was better steampunk style than something like rapture, despite the similarities.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
alright, i am almost finished with it. really fun game, but pretty short. i think i can finish it this week, even tomorrow if i have time.

pretty much the moral of the story is

don't stick your dick in crazy

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
finally beat it. the final boss become manageable after i remember you can pause the game lol. it's decent challenge on normal. took me about 15 hours. it's not a huge game, but i like the density, dungeons and aesthethics are nice, but kinda lacking in soundtrack. combat is okay and dungeon itself is pretty well done.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That said, it does seem to be aiming for a more "grid-based System Shock 2" feel rather than any of the classical blobbers.

cLw9b.gif

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
That said, it does seem to be aiming for a more "grid-based System Shock 2" feel rather than any of the classical blobbers.

cLw9b.gif

Don't get your hope up, that's not a very apt description in my book, so if you expect something to that effect you will be sorely disappointed, it's a Steampunk Dungeon Master
yes, the only thing it took from system shock is the "shit happened here, everyone seem to be dead, you're alone and you have to figure wtf happened trough journal / audio recording" there isn't really open-ended ness, most of it are linear and there is very little element interactions outside of the puzzles.

not that the game is bad, but it's not system shock

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I like blobber combat when I don't feel like I'm fucking with a clunky menu while the enemies rape me. I watched some videos and combat seems good, exploration described above sounds good... I bought it. Thanks bros! :salute:

Piotrovitz

Savant
I'm hesitant to buy this - what's the overall Dex verdict on this one?

Had an awesome time with LoG (especially 2), so if this is in any way similar, I'm in.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Had an awesome time with LoG (especially 2), so if this is in any way similar, I'm in.

As I said way back when Vaporum was released: It's the best game in this genre since Legend of Grimrock 2, but there's still a noticeable gap in quality between Vaporum and LoG2. It's not bad, but it's not great either. Note that I played before a game-enhancing patch was installed, so my info may be outdated.

A prequel is also in development, it may be a good idea to hold off until that is released.

V_K

Arcane

My big pet peeve with Vaporum are insta-death pits. Fail to get a minor puzzle right on the first try - tough luck bitch, reload time. Very annoying, especially if you're scatterbrained like me and keep forgetting to quicksave.

Nyast

Cipher
I think it's one of the best Grimrock-inspired games, if not the best. Its main drawback is that it's even less RPG focused than Grimrock ( only one character ) but it's very polished ( the visuals are better and more varied than Grimrock ), combat is more interesting ( due to the monster tactics ) and the dungeon design / puzzles are pretty good. Definitely worth a buy especially at a discount if you liked Grimrock.

Ivan

Arcane
Picked this up on sale since I had a Grimrock itch

Vaporum follows in Grimrock's footsteps and features strong atmosphere, great sound design, fun loot to find, and enemies with differing patterns to learn and master. Many of its puzzles are of the sliding box variety, which can get a bit old/tiresome. Also, you can feel the budget of the game when you try to unequip items, they all take the same form of the lootbag. I'm hoping this is something they can change in the sequel. It would be cool to include puzzles where you're required to think about what item to use in specific slots or alcoves.

As said before, itemization is strong, bolstered by the simple skill tree. By the game's end I was only able to fully max out 2 trees, so specializing is quite fun. In sum, I had a great time and it renewed my craving for more of these dungeon crawlers. It's actually made me excited to dig into my GOG library to play some of the classics before my time.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Wanted to do second run of LoG2, but bought this on gog out of curiosity - holy fuck, this game is awesome : |

Not knowing what to expect, I started on Hard diff and will leave Brutal maybe for another run.
Haven't finished the first floor yet, but I can already tell that combat feels a bit harder than in LoG - the square dance is way more difficult, not sure if it's due to better AI, or just quicker mobs.

I think I'll go for dual wield combat build, but I'm not sure whether to roll with blunts or swords. From what I read somewhere, blunts are better against mechanical mobs, and swords against organic ones. I'd rather go with swords, but don't want to fuck myself over in case it turns out that organic mobs are like 10x rarer than mech ones.

Any spoiler-free advice would be cool - I just don't have time to fuck around anymore and restart each game dozen times before I settle down with satisfying build. The noose of adult's life responsibilities is tightening :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom