Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

XCOM: Chimera Squad - humans and aliens team up

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, that's what I got from a cursory glance at the thread. Regardless, if it's not about fighting for muh diversity against evil human xenophobes now, it will be.

Could be. I mean if this is part of Xcom canon, you have to wonder how Xcom 3 will play out.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Also, weren't these aliens mass-produced? Shouldn't they have issues such as limited lifespan and sterility (other than the improved sectoids, at best)? Advent guys were actual humans with alien parts added in, but everything else was kept as they were. You can't say the same about mutons and others.
Iirc both human advents and the alien advents are made in vats using genetic material harvested from subjugated human population. So the sectoids, vipers, mutons etc aren't actually that, they're sectoid-human hybrids etc. Sterility sure seems like it would be an issue, but this game apparently takes place only a few years after the end of xcom2, so limited lifespan doesn't seem like it would be a big deal (yet).

Mazisky

Magister
I would not consider this game canon for the Xcom timeline. Firaxis said it's on the Xcom 2 universe just to try getting bigger value by associating it with the franchise: marketing stuff.

Just ignore the lore of this game when Xcom 3 will come.

frajaq

Erudite
I would not consider this game canon for the Xcom timeline. Firaxis said it's on the Xcom 2 universe just to try getting bigger value by associating it with the franchise: marketing stuff.

Just ignore the lore of this game when Xcom 3 will come.
What if I just ignore XCOM 3 too?

I thought codexers would be veterans in ignoring canon sequels by now after Fallout 3/4

Silva

Arcane
Silva are you seriously saying the figure on the left is "cartoony"? I don't know what the one on the right is from but the left one is just a normal character with funky haircut.
Not just the hair, his body is too horizontal, almost like an oversized dwarf. It IS stylized to some degree and not trying to be purely naturalistic IMO. I think games like SWAT 2 or Commandos went for more naturalistic gfx, for eg.

I don't know what "body is too horizontal" means but UFO came in 1994, back then characters in videogames werem't necessarily cartoony, they just comprised of a handful of pixel that's all. Even hyper-realistic simulations of police procedures had characters like this:

Police-Quest-2-Copy-Protection-298x350.jpg

These are kindda stylized not because Police Quest is a cartoony game but because fotorealistic graphics wasn't possible back then. The vibe, the writing, the general feel of the game had nothing to do with cartoony.

On the other hand something like Day of the Tenctacle was very clearly cartoony. The characters weren't fotorealistic either but they were intentoinaly goofy, plus the sounds, the music, the writing, everything was designed to be over the top to a very hilarious effect.

Nothing about the actual game of UFO is cartoony. There's nothing bright or cheery or bubbly about it. The sounds, music, lighting, writing, terror missions where technologically superior aliens are brutally massacring civilians...all that is intended to produce a feeling of doom and despair.

That's why it always pisses me off when idiots who never actually played these games just google a few screenshots and parade it on the interwebz as a proof of UFO being cartoony.

This is so fucking stupid.

Police Quest, 1992, two years before X-COM.

PQ%2B1%2B-%2BPost%2B2%2B-%2B1.png

2.png

X-COM, 1994. It's fucking cartoony, and it's a fucking deliberate choice.

xcom-ufo-defense.jpg

28-xcom417.png

ESWAT, a Sega Genesis game from 1990.

tumblr_pi1it6RbyD1roqda3o1_640.gifv

You're talking about PC games from the 1980s and pretending that something from 1994 faces the same changes. Also, X-COM is totally fucking bright, it's so bright and colorful I'm starting to think maybe you've never seen the fucking game. Of the three games in this post it's the brightest most colorful of the bunch. You might also not know this but in reality when you blow something up, a skull mushroom cloud doesn't appear.
Yeah, this.

Even Jagged Aliance 2 had bodies which respected human proportion. UFO ones looked like they came from a Super Mario or Donkey Kong game, you know all flattened as if some boulder fell on their heads. If that is not cartoony I don't know what it is.

(that has nothing to do with the game quality, UFO is arguably the GOAT in the genre to this day)

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
I was always defending Firaxis from you haters since I consider Xcom 2 + Wotc a masterpiece and one of my favourite modern games.

But I really can't get over this game, only watching the trailer hurts me so much, this happen when you let a young american developer take the lead of direction.

Only reason i can think of this Spin-off existence, is to draw in kids and a wider audience into the franchise, so they will buy Xcom 3 too.

I really, really wish that Xcom 3 will get a more serious tone, just like Blizzard showed with Diablo IV.

Jinn

Arcane
Eh, at first glance I wasn't too impressed with what I was seeing here, but after watching the gameplay trailer on the steam page, I'm actually kind of intrigued. I like a fair amount of what I'm seeing here.

Also, it's weird they used that neon pink kind of aesthetic with the game art when it's really not particularly present in the actual game itself. Misleading aesthetic choice.

Mazisky

Magister
Eh, at first glance I wasn't too impressed with what I was seeing here, but after watching the gameplay trailer on the steam page, I'm actually kind of intrigued. I like a fair amount of what I'm seeing here.

Also, it's weird they used that neon pink kind of aesthetic with the game art when it's really not particularly present in the actual game itself. Misleading aesthetic choice.

Yeah, the actual game is Xcom 2 engine and recycled assets, which is fair considering it's a small game.

Tytus

Arcane

Yeah, the actual game is Xcom 2 engine and recycled assets, which is fair considering it's a small game.

Also you can grab it for only 10$.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I was always defending Firaxis from you haters since I consider Xcom 2 + Wotc a masterpiece and one of my favourite modern games.

But I really can't get over this game, only watching the trailer hurts me so much, this happen when you let a young american developer take the lead of direction.

Only reason i can think of this Spin-off existence, is to draw in kids and a wider audience into the franchise, so they will buy Xcom 3 too.

I really, really wish that Xcom 3 will get a more serious tone, just like Blizzard showed with Diablo IV.
Xcom 2 needs lots of mods to be playable. I bet this Chimera game will be more fun when compared to Xcom 2 modless.

Mazisky

Magister

Xcom 2 needs lots of mods to be playable. I bet this Chimera game will be more fun when compared to Xcom 2 modless.

Modders will port classes, maps, items and other stuff from Chimera to Xcom2 since they share the engine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Watch the Agent Profile for Cherub, one of the playable Agents in XCOM: Chimera Squad. Subscribe to the XCOM channel for more gameplay videos and upcoming profiles on new agents: http://2kgam.es/XCOMYT

Cherub was among a batch of clones that had received ADVENT training but not yet undergone ADVENT indoctrination by the end of the war. He was found alive in an ADVENT lab, then transferred to a detention center for extensive testing. When the tests confirmed he had no ADVENT sympathies, he was enlisted by XCOM on a trial basis.

Cherub’s positive attitude and enthusiasm have been helping lift the morale of those around him ever since. His efforts to support his squadmates and improve their dispositions have proven his dedication on multiple occasions.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron

Say what you want about the game, but with practically no marketing effort on Firaxis's part the game is likely to sell well through the power of snek tiddies. Someone over there is going to get a pay rise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom