Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship Combat Beta Thread

Black Angel

Arcane
I.... can't understand how people miss a lot of rather obvious things in the UI. Maybe you guys are too old?

Deleted Member 22431

I.... can't understand how people miss a lot of rather obvious things in the UI. Maybe you guys are too old?
cRPG systems are opaque because you have to rely on conventions and you have to expect that the players will understand the conventions used and what they signal. It's not just a matter of putting the information in front of the player. The way you present it can alienate players if they are not intuitive enough. It is not just a matter of reading a system. It's an interactive game and you have to understand how to interact with the system properly. Also, the ageism in your post is truly disgusting.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Just now realized that you can upgrade the shields if you click on the small gear box in the inventory. Now I know how people who missed tagged skills feel.

Yeah I didnt know about this either. I clicked on the cog and it said I had the part, but I couldn't figure out what to do next, just assumed that maybe having the item in my inventory counted as the upgrade.

jackofshadows

Magister
Just now realized that you can upgrade the shields if you click on the small gear box in the inventory. Now I know how people who missed tagged skills feel.
I still don't know how to use this thing. I can see the options when I click on the icon, but I can't insert the piece of equipment that I bought--which is only one that works by the way (Mk1). When I place the thing on the inventory, the energy shield blinks, as if the part was already installed. Is that it?
Yes, first you have to buy a better MK2 component in the shop obviously, then while you have it in your inventory, click on small gear button on gadget and then select MK2 in a proper section. Confusing thing there is that "1" shows not the selected one but that which can be chosen. So check the description and better stats across.
MjwV1J5.png

Deleted Member 22431

Yes, first you have to buy a better MK2 component in the shop obviously, then while you have it in your inventory, click on small gear button on gadget and then select MK2 in a proper section. Confusing thing there is that "1" shows not the selected one but that which can be chosen. So check the description and better stats across.
So I could have bought this thing all this fucking time?

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I've been wondering, what does the Armor skill really do? The description implies our character moving more easily when wearing armors, but what does it really do during moment-to-moment gameplay?
Each level reduces the reaction, sneak and evasion penalty of each armor piece by 2. Light (shit) armor has no penalties, medium and heavy can have up to -30 or something like that.

Takamori

Learned
A question to the devs, since shields has this neat upgrade system, will we be able to mods or upgrade weapons?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I've been wondering, what does the Armor skill really do? The description implies our character moving more easily when wearing armors, but what does it really do during moment-to-moment gameplay?

Each level reduces the reaction, sneak and evasion penalty of each armor piece by 2. Light (shit) armor has no penalties, medium and heavy can have up to -30 or something like that.

And initiative as well.

I still don't know how to use this thing. I can see the options when I click on the icon, but I can't insert the piece of equipment that I bought--which is only one that works by the way (Mk1). When I place the thing on the inventory, the energy shield blinks, as if the part was already installed. Is that it?

Yeah, this screen needs a bit of improvement, especially:

- Different look for each upgrade.
- The installed upgrade should be highlighted with a border and grayed out in the 3 options below.
- A HUGE art pass.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
is it possible to add the option of text scaling plox?

Possible, I assume yes, but it's not something easy as that would affect lots of things in the interface behavior. It's something left to be done when there are less urgent tasks, as it would mean weeks of work tweaking the interfaces so that everything works correctly.

thesecret1

Arcane
Is it possible to make a viable build with PER as dump stat? Or is high PER basically mandatory in order to hit anything at all?

Deleted Member 22431

From steam:

Тварь 12 hours ago

About DR, evasion penalty and heavy armor.
So far I've finished the game with 2 melee tanks. A 10 STR tank and a 10 CON tank. 10 STR tank had 20 armor handling. He could stack up to ~11 ranged DR with -10 and -2 AP penalty or ~10 DR without penalty. So you pay 2 AP and give enemies +10 THC for 1 DR. Is it a good trade? Against "Aimed: Center Mass" - no, plain and simple. I'd say it's a bad trade overall.
On the other hand, 10+ DR is mighty good against graze attacks. Top-tier firearms with penetration graze you for 0 damage. Very good against SMG. Combine 10 DR with lvl 2 distortion field, Tough Bas-rd perk and high grade smoke - and you become a __I^+^^\===_. (tank)
One notable thing is that you can stack insane Melee DR via the heaviest Riot armor. But I doubt it'll be useful in the game. Remember your tank builds from AoD? Agathoth squashed them like cockroaches no matter the armor. Same logic here - 10 str opponents with kinetic hammer do 24-30 damage with a strong attack, even more on crit. And something tells me there will be even scarier abominations lurking in the ship's core...

My point is: 30-40 penalty armor is highly situational in this demo, even for 10 str armor juggernauts. 20 penalty armor is good for those builds.

Elhoim said:
1) The progression is heavily accelerated, especially with the stakes going higher in each fight, so there's not much room for experimentation. In the full game, the curve will be flatter, and the ammo more scarce, forcing weapon variation a bit more. And also don't only focus too much on the skill levels, since the effect is lower than in AoD and weapons are usable with lower skill. Many players use a back-up weapon like a shotgun or melee when using rifles, for example.

2) Armor alone won't carry character survivability on its own, it needs support from feats and gadgets. Not saying the balance is perfect, of course. We are still balancing skill gain a bit and armor progression.

Deleted Member 22431

A question to the devs, since shields has this neat upgrade system, will we be able to mods or upgrade weapons?

Vince [developer] 16 Apr @ 4:20pm

No. We planned to make them moddable (like that scene in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly when Tuco builds a revolver from parts) but we didn't have the resources.

Crafting made sense in AoD as forging a mace or even a sword using a crude forge is much easier than making a submachine gun from scratch. So upgrade (swapping parts) was the only option but it would have taken too long.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I turn it on at the end of my first turn, when there are still many enemies taking potshots at me. They usually deplete or almost deplete it in that time, saving me a lot of HP, and you can turn it off for free if it survived

Right, that's what I did in a fight when you get distortion shield. I think you can't change shield in fight right? Then it's bad to use fist shield.

Takamori

Learned
Ah yes like to report a bug: If you buy the Combat Reflexes from Sarah, the machine that install the implants don't recognize it. But if you get the drop from Carter encounter the machine will detect it.

Deleted Member 22431

Elhoim [developer] 18 Apr @ 11:16am

Currently we don't have any code to add abilities outside the equipment. But every point of unspent AP x 2 gets added to the reaction chance.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ah yes like to report a bug: If you buy the Combat Reflexes from Sarah, the machine that install the implants don't recognize it. But if you get the drop from Carter encounter the machine will detect it.
That's an upgrade, not the base implant. They all look the same now but it will change.

Deleted Member 22431

Sarah only sells the upgrades of the implants.

M. AQVILA

Arcane
Can you guys please disable quick save during combat? I've already mistakenly quick saved twice just when I die or am about to die.

You'd think I would be smart enough to learn not to rely on quick save after the first mistake, but it took me the second time before I wised up.

Takamori

Learned
That's an upgrade, not the base implant. They all look the same now but it will change.
God damn it, I already feel retarded for missing the shield upgrades lmao. Thanks for the tip

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also - I found out yesterday, that two-handed weapon's full reach not so useful like it was in AoD - you presumably using it to not waste 1 AP, BUT! if target is in cover, it get its bonuses untill you come close. So it only useful in the open.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom