Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Colony Ship Interview at RPGWatch

Black Angel

Arcane
Why are you so insecure when someone bring up age jokes on the Codex, bro?
I'm not and I'm not that old, but it must be the second time in a week that you tried to explain something based on old age. Aren't you too obsessed about this topic?
someone's getting too old for a shit.
4th time.
Someone's getting senile
:troll:

Deleted Member 22431

I suppose you read Kant in German ? And the Greek philosopher in ancient Greek ? Oh, you chose easy mode ?
Why? Are you assuming that some words can't be translated and that language is some mysterious force that requires some special logic?

Trashos

Arcane
Translations are usually terrible. A lot is lost in the translation. Not to mention how often translators change meanings on purpose due to their personal agenda or even because they have to diverge from previous translations, so that they do not look like copycats. Most of the times, of course, they are just incompetent (not all of them, obviously), and generally quality translation is exceptionally hard.

Politician, we have discussed before on the issue of difficulty levels, and I remember you saying that an RPG becomes easy once someone eventually learns the systems. To which I argued that in such a case we need one difficulty level while learning the systems and another one for being seriously challenged after we learn the systems.

I am not arguing that it is impossible to make a challenging game without difficulty levels, but I do not necessarily consider them decline. I am thinking of Civ IV for example, how on earth would I start with that game if the only available difficulty was Deity?

So it is not that clear cut.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
By the way, it would be really great to have multiple difficulty levels all called "Hard" but with different descriptions. "In this version of Hard difficulty, enemies have 25% less health and experience rewards are 25% greater." "In this version of Hard difficulty, enemies have half their usual health, experience rewards are doubled, and player-character attacks that would otherwise miss always at least graze their target."

I do not think that giving higher rewards in higher difficulties makes sense. It is supposed to be tough, and giving higher rewards beats the purpose. Playing higher difficulties is its own reward, and some proof is the fact that many players feel too insulted to play lower difficulties.
I'm trying to decide whether this reaction means I succeeded or failed at satire.

Calm

Novice
By the way, it would be really great to have multiple difficulty levels all called "Hard" but with different descriptions. "In this version of Hard difficulty, enemies have 25% less health and experience rewards are 25% greater." "In this version of Hard difficulty, enemies have half their usual health, experience rewards are doubled, and player-character attacks that would otherwise miss always at least graze their target."

Hard --> Harder --> Harderer --> Hardest --> Hardestest.

Reminds me of that trivia about astronauts and ‘condom’ sizes.

Could be apocryphal. But nonetheless you asked for it Goral:

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/03/nasa-condom

https://www.chron.com/news/strange-...ers-forced-astronauts-to-disclose-5343939.php

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/fb-5427339/HOW-ASTRONAUTS-TOILET.html

https://www.foxnews.com/science/nasa-diapers-forced-men-to-make-big-revelation

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
What about going the opposite way? Just switch the labels so Easy actually has all the hard-mode settings and 'Hard' is basically game-journalist level.

It'd be a bad experience for those who are honest with themselves and go for easy. Or select easy because "they play for the story"
Difficulty levels should never exist in the first place.

Think about this in any other medium and you say how stupid it is. Hey, guys, are you reading Kant easy retard edition?

It's decline.
Books are the same as games eh? Storyfag confirmed.

Momock

Augur

I do not think that giving higher rewards in higher difficulties makes sense. It is supposed to be tough, and giving higher rewards beats the purpose. Playing higher difficulties is its own reward, and some proof is the fact that many players feel too insulted to play lower difficulties.
I'm trying to decide whether this reaction means I succeeded or failed at satire.
Either way, Trashos failed at reading since in your example the extra XP is paired with easier ennemies.

Au Ellai

Educated
To which I argued that in such a case we need one difficulty level while learning the systems and another one for being seriously challenged after we learn the systems.

I've always been against difficulty settings, I figure a game should be played at the difficulty the developer intended and that's that, but I've never quite thought about this angle before, and I think I'm changing my mind a bit as this makes total sense. It's console faggotry, but the Final Fantasy 7 remake effectively does this. Once you've finished and leveled fully and gotten all your skills and equipment and know how to use them, it unlocks hard mode in which you have to flex the combat system and actually know what you're doing, creating a challenge for people who've learned how to use the systems effectively, as opposed to normal mode which is a roflstomp once you know what you're doing.

I'm still solidly against easy difficulties though. It takes extra dev time to create and balance which takes away development from the actual game just to please a few journalists. Outside of like Aurora 4x or something, it's not like there are any games out there where 99.99% of the population couldn't get through on whatever the "normal" difficulty is just fine by putting in the tiniest amount of effort.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What about going the opposite way? Just switch the labels so Easy actually has all the hard-mode settings and 'Hard' is basically game-journalist level.
This was my thinking as well:
Impossible: Only a chosen one can succeed on this difficulty! All enemies deal half damage, players deal double
Expert: A true expert will still find challenge here. -25% damage for enemies, +25% for players
Normal: At this skill level, you will face many hardships. No modifiers

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Think about this in any other medium and you say how stupid it is. Hey, guys, are you reading Kant easy retard edition?

51AeKsADeRL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
And here is hard mode:
Kritik_der_reinen_vernunft_erstausgabe.jpg

At least for those of us who aren't fluent in German and Gothic letters.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

Hard --> Harder --> Harderer --> Hardest --> Hardestest.

Reminds me of that trivia about astronauts and ‘condom’ sizes.
https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilear...most_nasa_astronauts_would_only_choose_large/

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Hey, guys, are you reading Kant easy retard edition?
You mean like Schopenhauer?
Missed the Kant post. I first read Kant in an annotated, abridged translation where three times a week a professor spent 90 minutes explaining and explicating the text. Next I read a translated version with a lengthy introduction, in a seminar in which we met with a professor for two-hour sessions twice weekly. Is there really some giant inclined population out there reading Kant in the original German without any introduction or instruction??

(I have some funny stories about when the world’s “second greatest Hegel scholar” came from Germany to teach us a summer seminar; too off topic,
but he was awesome. The tooltips and tutorial were much better than the game!)

Dragon

Augur
Conclusion (after reading Kant again ?) : some sort of difficulty settings are relevant, whatever some extremists are saying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom