Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

David Brevik

Arbiter

Scholar
Why hasn't David Brevik produced anything notable after the Hellgate London failure? No publisher willing to sponsor a Diablo clone now that Blizzard has been past its prime for years?

Sentinel

Arcane
Because he's not the genius people make him out to be. Half the decisions that made OG Diablo a success were Blizzard's ideas that he was reluctant to implement.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Maybe Diablo was the only good idea he's ever had? He admits to being a terrible businessman, so I'm sure that factors in to the dearth of projects with his name attached.

He should team up with Richard Garriott - maybe the two of them can do something worthwhile if they put their heads together.

Why hasn't David Brevik produced anything notable after the Hellgate London failure? No publisher willing to sponsor a Diablo clone now that Blizzard has been past its prime for years?
Because he shot up some people in an island and he's locked up now.

J/k, but Hellgate being as unremarkable as it was, and the market being so saturated with ARPGs and specifically Diablo clones, I don't see his name as bringing any appeal to any title.

Doma

Augur
Maybe Diablo was the only good idea he's ever had? He admits to being a terrible businessman, so I'm sure that factors in to the dearth of projects with his name attached.

He should team up with Richard Garriott - maybe the two of them can do something worthwhile if they put their heads together.

Like Garriot, Breivik is a great programmer. And yeah, they made some good games back in the day.

That said. People get older. They don't stay hitmakers. Look at The Outer Worlds.

Hits come from the perfect storm based on the time it was made and the people that made it.

It has been 20 years. Just because David can code does not mean that there are anything that says he would make anything good ever again.

Arbiter

Scholar
Because he shot up some people in an island and he's locked up now.

J/k, but Hellgate being as unremarkable as it was, and the market being so saturated with ARPGs and specifically Diablo clones, I don't see his name as bringing any appeal to any title.

It's disappointing that devs who left Blizzard saw little success outside of that company. There was some magic at old Blizzard that is now missing.

It's disappointing that devs who left Blizzard saw little success outside of that company. There was some magic at old Blizzard that is now missing.
It was a sum of the parts, really, just like Bullfrog, where the rest of the team moderated Molyneux's impulses to go full retard, or old Lucasfilm, where George Lucas had people keeping him in the straight and narrow.

The same could be said for Black Isle (and to an extent, Troika), Ion Storm, Origin (see Richard Garriot and Warren Spector, although Spectir was involved in more good games after Origin), and many others.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Because only nerds actually cares about names behind games.

Two friends of mine have been playing Diablo non-stop for the last 20 years (I'm not joking, they play Diablo 1 for a couple of years, than switch to 2 for another year or so, then restart 3 and when they finish it they go back to 1) and they have never even heard the name "David Brevik".

Only degenerates who care enough about this world to create an account on a forum actually pay attention to names.

Arbiter

Scholar

Two friends of mine have been playing Diablo non-stop for the last 20 years (I'm not joking, they play Diablo 1 for a couple of years, than switch to 2 for another year or so, then restart 3 and when they finish it they go back to 1) and they have never even heard the name "David Brevik".

Only degenerates who care enough about this world to create an account on a forum actually pay attention to names.

It's not about names, it's about skills demonstrated in past projects. Would you rather hire a person with a track record or someone inexperienced to design a new game?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

It's not about names, it's about skills demonstrated in past projects. Would you rather hire a person with a track record or someone inexperienced to design a new game?
I love Brevik but, given how "fast" today's world moves, having released your last hit 20 years ago doesn't exactly give you an impressive track record (at least in the eyes of someone who has the only goal of making money). After Diablo 2 he only worked on shitty free-to-play with microtransactions mmorpgs or very minor projects.

Normies do care about and really pay attention to names and brands like Blizzard though. Even though they have no idea or interest about people's names like you said.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Because he's not the genius people make him out to be. Half the decisions that made OG Diablo a success were Blizzard's ideas that he was reluctant to implement.
THIS. He's not a genius, dude was making a roguelike with fancy graphics, then was forced to make it real-time. He was not a visionary director, he was the code monkey.

Also, he's dishonest as fuck, every single interview or presentation he does he gloats about inventing Action RPGs, about how magical it was to see a warrior hit a skeleton in real-time... Diablo began development in 1995, Ultima 8 came out in 1994, FFS. It's a shitty game but it's an ULTIMA, it was on the cover of every game magazine. Not to mention all the previous action-RPGs, like Prophecy, The Summoning and Veil of Darkness.

Dunno why anyone expects anything of him.

Arbiter

Scholar
THIS. He's not a genius, dude was making a roguelike with fancy graphics, then was forced to make it real-time. He was not a visionary director, he was the code monkey.

Also, he's dishonest as fuck, every single interview or presentation he does he gloats about inventing Action RPGs, about how magical it was to see a warrior hit a skeleton in real-time... Diablo began development in 1995, Ultima 8 came out in 1994, FFS. It's a shitty game but it's an ULTIMA, it was on the cover of every game magazine. Not to mention all the previous action-RPGs, like Prophecy, The Summoning and Veil of Darkness.

He was in charge of Diablo 2 and that was a huge success. Some gamers claim it was the last truly great Blizzard game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
He was in charge of Diablo 2 and that was a huge success. Some gamers claim it was the last truly great Blizzard game.
He was ONE of the people in charge, in a team of 40+ developers, who last made a hit almost 20 years ago. That's not a great pitch.

Besides, if Kickstarter proved one thing is that giving a few thousand dollars to nobodies with a cool idea wields far better results than giving millions to famous developers of old.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

Normies do care about and really pay attention to names and brands like Blizzard though. Even though they have no idea or interest about people's names like you said.
Yes, because brands names are continuously thrown at them, even if just by the intro/loading screen of a game. It's honestly sad that publicity actually works.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

Warcraft III was still a smash out of the park.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Marvel: Heroes was fun for what it was (a light ARPG with heavy monetization) before he left. Since then, he's mostly been doing his one-man game, It Lurks Below.

Arbiter

Scholar

Warcraft III was still a smash out of the park.

I personally liked WarCraft 3, but many Blizzard fans considered it a step down from StarCraft. The RPS concept that Blizzard promoted was also largely abandoned in favour of a more traditional RTS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom