Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best FPS level design

Arbiter

Scholar
Which levels do you consider best designed in the history of FPS?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Bluff Eversmoking in Unreal.
The Sword in Thief: The Dark Project
The Bank
and Life of the Party in Thief 2

Doom 2
had some good levels, especially in user made WADs like (IIRC) Hell Revealed 2 and Memento Mori II.

Last edited:

geno

Savant
Do fan maps count?
ad_terror1c.jpg

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's been a coon's age since I played Half-Life, but I remember We've Got Hostiles and Surface Tension being pretty great.

Arbiter

Scholar

Kitchen Utensil

It's been a while since I played it, but Painkiller has some nice maps as well.
I'd also recommend Exhumed/Powerslave (Playstation).

And of course the obvious stuff, Quake and Doom and mappacks/wads.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Unlike some I really love the vehicle levels in Half-Life 2, especially the boat. There's just something that's still neat and satisfying about getting on and off the boat to ensure progress, with the helicopter's siren blaring over you at times.

Doom 3's big hell level to kick off act three is a great change of pace in a game that's largely the same for 10+ hours.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein has that great level where you sneak into a rocket base and super Nazis parachite in while you climb the rocket platforms. In the end you commandeer the rocket and blast off. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood has a really cool level a little over halfway through where you row a boat up to an old European village and go through it normally fighting Nazis, then you have to go back through it as fire rains down from the sky, zeppelins crash and all the dead Nazis return as zombies.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
SWAT 3 and 4's later maps were awesome and punishing as hell. Some crazy level of planning really went into making them yuge but cohesive. Same with Rogue Spear and Raven Shield.

DemonKing

Arcane
Just replayed Surface Tension in Black Mesa and it is still awesome - so many different moving parts but it's a roller coaster ride from start to finish.

Lagi

Savant
Which levels do you consider best designed in the history of FPS?

Hell Forge has one of the best level I play (doom mod). First half of he maps are just ok, but the further I went the better they become. There are quite hard to find secrets (but all sensible hidden), that are very needed to progress the game (f.ex. scarce of ammo, or regeneration power up (stay whole level), that would allow you to go melee with monsters (because you heal back after fight)).

Multiplayer? Q2DM1 vel The Edge - my most played MP map not only in Q2 but thanks to community effort - in Q1 and Q3A as well. A shame Saber won't port it to Quake Champions because they haven't implemented water mechanics.

Singleplayer? Sever The Wicked (Ultimate Doom). Player start being put in deep ship, surrounded by dozens o monster. He needs to grab immortality ASAP, escape from surrounding and seek for cover in the basement of fortress before effects wears off. Then, he need to clear entire fortress and its surroundings to gain keys and access the final teleport on the last floor on the other side of the foss.

The beauty is, you can start clearing this levels with totally different order, starting with surroundings and enemies that are placed beyond the foss and then progressively conquer the basement etc. I like my scenario better since I'm always doing this map on Ultra-Violence so running from starting point to basement (the hidden room with chainsaw) triggers pretty big numbers of demons to fight each other.

Back in the day my entire gaming sessions consisted of doing StW over and over, just start Ultimate Doom, choose U-V difficulty, put idcleve4m3 and there you go, insanely fun map.

Last edited:

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
I'll throw in my recommendations for AD as well. Parts of HL1 are really good also.

For multiplayer, UT's Morpheus is tons of fun. Check out some of Hourences' maps for UT as well, they tend to be really high quality.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Worth mentioning is that HL level design is conceptually different from the level design in Quake games. Being a linear story shooter, HL has no secrets for example. HL is great, just saying. As said by HL devs, "... we treated the game as a technological gothic, with Black Mesa playing the role of the spooky old castle." and they are right. It's just different.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Are there any good map packs for Quake 2

I haven't heard of any. Probably not, Q1 is king in this regard. However, I did replay Q2 last year with Q2XP which offers a nice facelift

iNgPRJZ.jpg

7OMWxTK.jpg

BCxWAw5.jpg

wfnWekx.jpg

bybtgWB.jpg

MlhfjuR.jpg

Vanilla Q2 level design is still very good. Not that much different from vanilla Quake, if at all.

Arbiter

Scholar
Who is the person that "friended" all posts in this thread yesterday?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom