Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Rpgs similar to Dragon Age 2

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Rpgs similar to Dragon Age 2

Planescape: Torment, actually.

No, really.

Both had a streamlined Action-RPG approach to combat, incorporated elements from visual novels (with acknowledged jRPG influences in both cases), and featured quests that continually recycled a limited number of environments.

It's a small scale story about a man and his family finding their way to improve their livelihood within a city. So pretty much, I'm looking for another small scale rpg, it doesn't have to be about family but it should be something not overly long or bloated, not about saving the world or beating a big bad or an epic story.

Try the Sims Medieval:

jackofshadows

Magister
Also I'm rolling without a tank because Avelline is annoying, so that's surely part of it.
Yeah, roleplay and powerplay stack together very poorly. I was rolling with Wynne in DA:O on a nightmare almost all along since she's OP as fuck, otherwise I'd simply kill her in that tower.

Codex Year of the Donut
UilQPZF.png

They intended to make her an ugly and annoying dyke, so if you think of it in terms of execution she's the most well done character ever.
I guess I'm the only one who actually liked her?
Felt like a kid sister. :M

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
bioware really dropped the ball with DA2 romances. Your only picks are a disease riddled whore and a pedobait lesbian.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not really relevant, but it occurs to me that Bioware romances tend to present a darker, edgier personality (Viconia, Morrigan, Isabel) and a sweet personality (Aerie, Leliana, Merrill), except the dark personalities have a core sweetness and vulnerability and the sweet personalities have a concealed ruthlessness (with the possible exception of Aerie, I don't really know a lot about her).

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Not really relevant, but it occurs to me that Bioware romances tend to present a darker, edgier personality (Viconia, Morrigan, Isabel) and a sweet personality (Aerie, Leliana, Merrill), except the dark personalities have a core sweetness and vulnerability and the sweet personalities have a concealed ruthlessness (with the possible exception of Aerie, I don't really know a lot about her).

Aerie is pure cuteness and I melt every time she lands a critical strike. :love: The closest thing she does to being ruthless is snark at Edwin when he complains about being turned into a woman.

Merrill is not sweet, she dabbles with demons and this habit is revealed pretty early into the game.

Aerie is pure cuteness and I melt every time she lands a critical strike. :love: The closest thing she does to being ruthless is snark at Edwin when he complains about being turned into a woman.

Merrill is not sweet, she dabbles with demons and this habit is revealed pretty early into the game.

She's also cheerful, helpful, and the most consistently altruistic person in the party aside from a good Hawke. Her infernal predilections only surface in specific circumstances, but it is evident she is capable of the same kind of pitilessness as say a hardened Leliana and will betray innocents if it helps her realize her goals (not really in any other circumstance though, any other time she wants to help them).

Last edited:

Lilliput McHammersmith

You guys are retarded. The magic abilities in DA2 are freaking great. I wonder if everyone here played as a warrior (which definitely isn't as fun). Sure, DA2 isn't as deep as BG2 or NWN in terms of magic, but the magic is still super fun.

Pull of the Abyss + Fist of the Maker + Fireball.

Maybe it's slightly popamole (that combination) but it is so much *fun*. I really enjoyed the story and I was immensely disappointed in DA:I because it was retarded with the Power requirements.

Plus, the Companion influence mechanic was really cool. The only other game to do something like that is Tyranny. (Tyranny did it better, IMO). But that you could unlock different skill trees depending on how much they liked or disliked you is really cool.

The wave spawns were stupid, I'll give you that, but the boss fights were pretty memorable, at least for me. I still remember fighting the snake-staff elf dude and it's been years since I played it. I did recently acquire the DLC and I am planning on another playthrough. Plus the plotline with Hawke's mom was some good and dark stuff, almost as good as the Erl's son plotline in the first one.

Plus, Varric. You can't go wrong with him.

Plus, the Companion influence mechanic was really cool. The only other game to do something like that is Tyranny. (Tyranny did it better, IMO). But that you could unlock different skill trees depending on how much they liked or disliked you is really cool.

The other game that did was Planescape: Torment. :M

There's a mod you can use for Torment to see Influence with companions measured from 1 to 20. Although not strictly graded in terms of rivalry vs. friendship, the effect is the same: the nearer you get to 1, the more you start provoking rivalry-like outcomes and responses (such as companions fighting the Nameless One or running off). The nearer you get to 20, the more yous tart provoking friendly-like outcomes and responses. Whether you approach a character like Ignus as a friend or rival also changes his disposition toward you.

The concept that either rivalry or friendship can bind a companion to you is an Avellonian idea.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
You guys are retarded. The magic abilities in DA2 are freaking great. I wonder if everyone here played as a warrior (which definitely isn't as fun). Sure, DA2 isn't as deep as BG2 or NWN in terms of magic, but the magic is still super fun.

Maybe it's slightly popamole (that combination) but it is so much *fun*. I really enjoyed the story and I was immensely disappointed in DA:I because it was retarded with the Power requirements.

The wave spawns were stupid, I'll give you that, but the boss fights were pretty memorable, at least for me. I still remember fighting the snake-staff elf dude and it's been years since I played it. I did recently acquire the DLC and I am planning on another playthrough. Plus the plotline with Hawke's mom was some good and dark stuff, almost as good as the Erl's son plotline in the first one.

I played as both mage and warrior, warrior 2 hander is more fun. the problem isn't that the mage has no fun abilities but that the spell selection was severely reduced to create needless :littlemissfun:between the classes.

Lilliput McHammersmith

The other game that did was Planescape: Torment. :M

There's a mod you can use for Torment to see Influence with companions measured from 1 to 20. Although not strictly graded in terms of rivalry vs. friendship, the effect is the same: the nearer you get to 1, the more you start provoking rivalry-like outcomes and responses (light companions fighting the Nameless One or running off). The nearer you get to 20, the more yous tart provoking friendly-like outcomes and responses.

Oh that's dope. I honestly didn't know that. Well maybe I did, they stand with you based on how you treated them at the Fortress of Regrets, right?

KOTOR 2 also had the influence and it could affect gameplay (like if they could become a Jedi), but not to the same extent as Tyranny and DA2

Lilliput McHammersmith

I played as both mage and warrior, warrior 2 hander is more fun. the problem isn't that the mage has no fun abilities but that the spell selection was severely reduced to create needless :littlemissfun:between the classes.
Maybe as compared to a true D&D game, but when I played it (which was quite some time ago, and before I played BG/NWN/PST/etc) I didn't feel that the spell selection was limited. I thought it had a decent spell progression. It is true that you could only max out two trees IIRC, but it didn't bother me at the time. I have played many deeper games since then, so maybe my opinion will change on that front, but I doubt I would find it any less fun.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Yeah, the friendship/rivalry mechanic was cool, but I enjoyed it more for its plot implications than for the skills/combat ones (it was impossible for me to care about combat in this game). In every other game (DA:O included), you only have one "right" way to interact with your companions: you need to be kind to them and always agree with their bullshit. In DA2, you could build different types of relationships and that was 10/10 to me.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Yeah, the friendship/rivalry mechanic was cool, but I enjoyed it more for its plot implications than for the skills/combat ones (it was impossible for me to care about combat in this game). In every other game (DA:O included), you only have one "right" way to interact with your companions: you need to be kind to them and always agree with their bullshit. In DA2, you could build different types of relationships and that was 10/10 to me.

Yeah it was why I rated it higher than DA:O at the time that I played it. But I am a total companion-fag (which is why I loved PS:T to death, and why I still haven't played all of Fallout 1).

I'm not sure how I would rate the two games now, I would have to play them again and see where I'm at, but I love the companion interaction in this game, as well as KOTOR 2 and Tyranny. I wish more games with companions had this sort of interaction with them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Well Merrill rejects the whole concept of demons, rather than wanting to work with demons. Just heard her dialogue about "demons" being an invention of the human chantry. It's a somewhat interesting bit of characterization. I forget where she ends up though.

If you're playing on non-retardo difficulty then you're controlling them all anyway. I've always made my character in party RPGs based on which companions I want to take, more than anything. I'm playing a 2-handed warrior this time around but I'm controlling Merrill just as much as my main character, if not more. I also wouldn't really differentiate them an incredible amount. I'm playing on hard and have to do some placement/mob management, and Hawke's zooming slashes, group attacks, single target focused attacks and "rage" powers to get health back are mostly the same type of thing. Anders is the different one, with his focus on healing, paralyzing, haste, etc.

alyvain

Learned
Well, I've played DA Inquisition a few days ago (the quarantine makes me do such things) and I have to say that in DA2 they at least tried to do something new with story structure, companions, etc. Pretty much all of it ended miserably, of course, and DA2 is so underdeveloped that it is practically a japanese loli, but given the 100-hours of pure absolute genericness of Inquisition, you can't help but view this game more favourably than in 2011.

Still, the fact that there are people in this thread who liked DA2 makes me uncomfortable. I wonder if in 2030 people would consider this game a minor classic. Let's hope not...

sullynathan

Arcane
Still, the fact that there are people in this thread who liked DA2 makes me uncomfortable. I wonder if in 2030 people would consider this game a minor classic. Let's hope not...
Only time will tell. There are probably articles telling us how good it is

alyvain

Learned

There are such articles on everything including Fallout 3. It means nothing. I'm not sure what constitutes public opinion on a game (except for RPGCodex TOP, of course) but clearly the articles aren't that important.

Lilliput McHammersmith

There are such articles on everything including Fallout 3. It means nothing. I'm not sure what constitutes public opinion on a game (except for RPGCodex TOP, of course) but clearly the articles aren't that important.

I mean, there are people who love Fallout 3. It has a 76% positive rating on Steam, and a 4/5 on GOG. I agree it's hard to get a general consensus, but that seems to line up with most opinions I have seen of FO3 (outside of the Codex, of course). For most people, it's a decent game, not great, but not bad either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom