Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gates of Integrity is a Bard's Tale homage 31 years in the making

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Gates of Integrity

A couple of weeks ago, user CryptRat spotted a new RPG on itch.io called Gates of Integrity. It's a faithful homage to the original Bard's Tale trilogy created by a German fellow who calls himself Tarjan. I don't always post about this sort of thing, but this game has a particularly interesting story behind it. Namely, that it's been in development on various platforms for the past 31 years, which puts Grimoire to shame. That's worth a shoutout. Here are some screenshots and details:

Can you save Anroburg from the evil mage Thargorim?
Create your party, level up, crawl through mad dungeons and avoid death traps - like you did in the late 80s.

Gates Of Integrity is a humble tribute to the original Bard's Tale 1, released in 1985 for all then-popular homecomputers. I played the Amstrad CPC version and I was instantly sold to the world of computer role playing games. So I decided to give it a try and recreate the Bard's Tale-ish atmosphere in an own game. This was in 1989. Well, it have been over 30 years but here we are... If you are interested in the different versions I did (but never completed), you might want to take a look here:
https://tarjan.itch.io/gates-of-integrity/devlog/138008/5-versions-in-30-years

The levelling is easier than with the original Bard's Tale, but beware: It is really, really oldschool. You can save your game, but only in the guild. The interface is keyboard-driven as it was back in the 80s. And you might loose quite a few heroes on your first steps into the unknown.
The story is my own, as are all maps and dungeons. You will hear some atmospheric sound tracks from Derek Fiechter while you are playing. Most of the monsters, spells and classes are very AD&D / Bard's Tale-ish to capture the spirit of the original Bard's Tale.

I hope you like it! If you played Bard's Tale (or the Devil Whiskey), you will feel at home instantly.​

Gates of Integrity is available for free on itch.io or directly from its official website, though we encourage you to kick the developer a few dollars if you appreciate these sorts of games.

tindrli

Arcane
i must admit that i never saw this type of rat
OklOCgB.jpg

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The title is really bad, and could only have been coughed up by a Euro. But otherwise, looks cool and will play.

mondblut

Arcane
I find it peculiar that there are so many BT clones out there, it's not like the original is a terribly good game.

Of all staple classic RPGs BT probably has the least subsystems, on par with likewise much-parroted early Wizardry. No overworld, no combat screen, no moving enemies - just corridors and random encounters with a picture and text-based combat.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
"we encourage you to kick the developer a few dollars if you appreciate these sorts of games."

I'm old and daft: how do we do that?

RuySan

Augur
What's up with that green? Are they that big fans of geneforge?

Devil whiskey looks a lot better than this, and it's almost 20 years old

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom