Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Machocruz

Arcane
I remember loving Chrono Cross at the time, but now all I remember is the production values (absolute beautiful world and music, some cool character designs from a Record of Lodoss War artist).

And that's pretty much the story of all PS1 JRPGs and Square games except FFT. I tell myself yeah this is great at the time, but then when I'm done I hardly ever think of them again. Maybe I'll get the soundtrack if its exceptional. But that's not a sign of a great play experience. Meanwhile games like X-Com, FFT, Dark Souls, Deus Ex, JA2 get multiple plays and stay on my mind.

Even Vagrant Story was once mighty in my eyes. I swore for years it was one of the best PS1 games and the best thing Square ever did, but having played it again recently, I realized it was the mood and music, not the play, that carried it. I didn't get very far this time around. That rhythm combo shit can take a hike, along with block pushing, and managing RISK doesn't pay interesting dividends. Extract the writing, art direction, sound and weapon affinity/engineering concept and roll them into a good action combat model, and I think you could have a great ARPG out of it.

FXII got a pass at the time because a single player MMO was something I wanted then. I liked the world, felt vast in scope and more alive/bustling than any JRPG up to that point. Dungeons were evocative of Vagrant Story, a plus. Speaking of dungeons, combined with the breadth of the bestiary, enemy layout, and the randomness of some monster appearances, there was a sense that you could run into something you didn't expect; this was something that the soon to be released Oblivion would completely lack, while it was one of the greatest strengths of its predecessor. Enemy designs were some of the best iterations in the entire series. A lot to like but also some major WTF fumbles.

I don't even think about the other FFs after 5, and none of them before it. It's the apex of traditional FF imo and I've had an itchin' to replay it for a while but can never find the time. Well once in a while I think about FFX and how much of an atrocious intolerable beach-bum faggot character Wakka is.

JDR13

Arcane
Chrono Cross was artful you goddamn heretics.
Yes but art alone does not make a good game.
Chrono Cross has great art and music with good combat. That's clearly a winner.

If CC was so clearly a winner it have would have been rereleased by now.
Like FF12? :smug:

Not sure what your point is supposed to be there. FF12 has been rereleased, so yes.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
wow, didn't know Varg was such a cuck.

Crazy that he got infected with identity politics.

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
who is varg vaghever

Lead singer of a metal band called Berzum. Famous for killing the lead singer of another band because he's psycho and thought the guy was plotting to kill him for basically no reason. He made videos about paganism on YouTube for a while after he got out of prison but eventually got banned for being alt-right

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I'm sure he also has an account here. Everyone is a suspect.

XS3Hf4z.png

I didn't have much hope for this but everything I have heard has made me want to avoid this game. Now it is a sequel instead of a remake? The continuity in the 7 universe is shit. I know I haven't played it so I am clueless but the rumors of that mediocre movie being tied into all this makes it rub me the wrong way. I still hate that this has been split into separate games too. Plus who the fuck misses world maps? Is it just me?

JDR13

Arcane
I didn't have much hope for this but everything I have heard has made me want to avoid this game. Now it is a sequel instead of a remake? The continuity in the 7 universe is shit. I know I haven't played it so I am clueless but the rumors of that mediocre movie being tied into all this makes it rub me the wrong way. I still hate that this has been split into separate games too. Plus who the fuck misses world maps? Is it just me?

It's a remake not a sequel. I agree it sucks that they chose to split it up. There's no reason they couldn't have made it one long game.

Psquit

Arcane
Unpopular opinion coming through. FF7 is pure incline up to the revisit of the Shinra mansion, then it's a slow steady decline with some bumps of incline. Like Cloud beating the shit out of Aerith.

aris

Arcane
FF9 wasn't so much a return to form as a faceplanted attempt at such. It was basically this in video game form:

VAeA885.jpg

The artstyle is retarded bobble heads, and please tell me more about how this abomination was woven into the intricate story:

vpOzdyk.png
I think FF9 is superior to all the NES/SNES final fantasies it payed homage to. Granted, I haven't played all of them, but I have played 3, 4 and 6 (6 is good, but not nearly as good as people with rose tinted nostalgia glasses claim, I played it for the first time about a year ago).

Nahel

Arcane
Yep she is not even that thin...Its just an ideal version of a women. Which is much easier to achieve than the counterpart for men, who have to combine muscle training and great genetics...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Black metal musician, Church burner and killer. A real loser.

Yeah I feel bad now for writing my initial message, it read as if I thought he was great or something. He's scum of the lowest order. He uses his family to justify himself changing, but ignores the fact that he forever denied this possible experience to the person he killed.

Anyway no need to talk more about Varg in a FF7 thread, I just felt really ashamed about the way I phrased my initial response. It was more about the surprise of someone like him parroting "representation" bullshit.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yep she is not even that thin...Its just an ideal version of a women. Which is much easier to achieve than the counterpart for men, who have to combine muscle training and great genetics...

Also FF7's Cloud is literally a perfect-looking man, well JAPAN's idea of a perfect looking man, mind you, but the intent is the same. He is just as impossibly attainable as any of the game's women.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't know what's the argument. Fantasy Art and fiction represents unrealistic things like monsters, people with magic powers, dreamy landscapes, unpractical and cool architecture, ultra-buff men with no body fat and girls with amazing curves and no body fat. Since almost 3 thousand years ago in The Illiad.

There is no point in arguing with whales and imps with inferiority complex. Their opinions should just be deleted and our free time better expended enjoying unrealistic art or discussing interesting things about it. If they want to feel better about themselves just go get healthy food and lift some weights.

Fucking scum ruining fun and healthy enjoyment.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's practically impossible to look like another human being, period. You can't change your skin to whatever you want, you'd have to do some insane shit to alter your bone structure to make yourself even a tiny bit taller, you'd need major plastic surgery to change things like eyes, nose, jaw, etc.

It is, however, relatively fucking easy to look different than you are now for most people, with diet + exercise. And I do mean relatively because even that shit is pretty fucking hard. Genetics do play a role. No excuse for those fuckers on scooters though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom