Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
DLPB is a huge faggot and he got what he deserved. Dude has refused to be a team player and has done everything he can to split the community in the past because he's a total control freak. The simple fact is he violated the GPL and people have good reason to dislike him.

Terra

Cipher
This is why you stay well away from anything with a GPL license attached to it.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The Reunion Mod is now back and GPL compliant http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.0

If you're like me and wanted to try out the better translation from the Reunion but couldn't stand playing without the better graphical updates available with the 7th Heaven Mod manager there is now a nice mod compilation on Nexus Mods that is compatible with the Reunion. I just started a playthrough with it and the choice of mods is pretty good. https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7/mods/15

Doktor Best

Arcane
I always wanted to play the hard type mod together with retranslation. Is this possible by now?

Archwizard Hank

Learned
This observation is no doubt stale and moldy by now, but to me, the greatest loss in the transition to the remake is the ability to rename all the playable characters

nybGdeF.png

Perkel

Arcane
It is funny how my opinion changed over the years when it comes to FF games. First FF7 was the best, Then FF8, Then FF6 and finally i arrived at FF9. And i played FF8 first, FF7, FF9 and FF6 in that order.

Codex Year of the Donut
In modder drama, the Reunion mod (best known for its FF7 retranslation) got taken down because a rival modder went apeshit because according to him DLPB violated GPL.
Due to DLPB's uhm not really being the type of person to take crap, this ended up with multiple pages of angry shouting at each other and armchair lawering (including apparently the involvement of a real lawyer with a possible lawsuit being discussed). Also the ephiphany that GLP3 inherently sucks.

But what, what you may ask is this grave violation of coding that has occured that justified everyone going apeshit and lawering up?

2. 2 random ass calls to a dll.

Modders, man. Modders.
He's not wrong, that's (most likely by the common interpretation) a license violation.
GPL is viral, by linking against it you are subject to the terms of the GPL.

Melcar

Arcane
Most of the drama fro GPL comes from people not understanding exactly what the license entails. So yes, just like with any license, if you use it you are bound to its terms.

Duraframe300

Arcane
In modder drama, the Reunion mod (best known for its FF7 retranslation) got taken down because a rival modder went apeshit because according to him DLPB violated GPL.
Due to DLPB's uhm not really being the type of person to take crap, this ended up with multiple pages of angry shouting at each other and armchair lawering (including apparently the involvement of a real lawyer with a possible lawsuit being discussed). Also the ephiphany that GLP3 inherently sucks.

But what, what you may ask is this grave violation of coding that has occured that justified everyone going apeshit and lawering up?

Modders, man. Modders.
He's not wrong, that's (most likely by the common interpretation) a license violation.

It wasn't nearly as black and white a situation as that. What it came down to was just the interpretation of the wording of the GLP3 and how its applied (There was never any actual lack of credit). I'd personally argue DLPB was in the right as well. That's why I mentioned armchair lawering. Because it came literary down to that.

In short much, much ado about nothing. Especially nothing, because again those specific 2 calls. Anyway, calls were removed, mod is up again.

Codex Year of the Donut

Modders, man. Modders.

It wasn't nearly as black and white a situation as that. What it came down to was just the interpretation of the wording of the GLP3 and how its applied (There was never any actual lack of credit). I'd personally argue DLPB was in the right as well. That's why I mentioned armchair lawering. Because it came literary down to that.

In short much, much ado about nothing. Especially nothing, because again those specific 2 calls. Anyway, calls were removed, mod is up again.
Linking against a GPL project means you must release your project under the GPL.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Linking against a GPL project means you must release your project under the GPL.

If there's ever legal precedent for 2 random ass draw calls to be enough to claim this you would literary destroy the entire closed source market. Would result in the biggest legal fuckeroo in computing history.

Not gonna happen.

Codex Year of the Donut

If there's ever legal precedent for 2 random ass draw calls to be enough to claim this you would literary destroy the entire closed source market. Would result in the biggest legal fuckeroo in computing history.

Not gonna happen.
It doesn't matter how small the violation was, the license was violated.
Don't like it? Don't use their software.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Not gonna happen.
It doesn't matter how small the violation was, the license was violated.
Don't like it? Don't use their software.

Its not his software. Furthermore its a dll DLPB modified and improved himself (and is given credit for it by the current team working on it). The guy who came after DLPB did diddely squat in comparison.

And yes, it does matter. Thats the whole reason for a shitton of discussions in the open source community. Especially for it having any chance to stand up in court.
The moment this would be claimed ANY closed source software would be fair game. Because most have at least a couple (way more than 2) uses for 7zip, ffmepg or whateveryoucanthinkoff in it. They include the licenses, yes.(So does/did DLPB) But they're still all closed source

If randos could enforce that shit legally on that level all hell would break loose.

Codex Year of the Donut
Because most have at least a couple (way more than 2) uses for 7zip, ffmepg or whateveryoucanthinkoff in it.
Neither of those are released under the GPL, they're released under the LGPL which has a linking exception specifically for this purpose.
Please stop, you're making a fool of yourself.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Because most have at least a couple (way more than 2) uses for 7zip, ffmepg or whateveryoucanthinkoff in it.
Neither of those are released under the GPL, they're released under the LGPL which has a linking exception specifically for this purpose.
Please stop, you're making a fool of yourself.
True (writing at 12 pm let's you go to the easiest examples even when wrong).

Point still stands, because its way more. Would not hold up in court, is still highly debated.

https://softwareengineering.stackex...c-linking-rule-apply-to-interpreted-languages

However, this is questionable from legal point of view. In the only case that actually went to court regarding dynamic linking — Galoob v. Nintendo — Court of Appeals ruled that derivative work "must incorporate a portion of the copyrighted work in some form". Which is not the case with dynamic linking.

That whole thread is now 8 years old, but I'm just using it as an example of the whole debate. Unless of course there's been a recent legal development or outright precedent that clears the whole thing up and actually makes it black and white. If there is I fully submit, if there isn't, not gonna change my opinion.

But again, whole thing's over anyway, so I leave with that.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Some remade original fields, kinda amazed somone bothers:

Plus some nice character remodels:
h-1677.jpg

Charachter models are ugly and I have no idea why you'd pair those shiny new backgrounds with models in the original artstyle. An artstyle that:

A: Is just a carry over from the initial N64 prototypes.
B: Clashes with loads of the FMV cutscenes in the game itself. Which probably Square themselves weren't happy with considering they did much smoother and closer transistions in VIII and IX.

Edit: Also why are the screenshots stretched of all things?

Jason Liang

Arcane
Poor Tifa didn't do anything to deserve this but youtube recommended this for me so

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom