Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry You can get Wizardry 8 for US$1 right now

MegaRhettButler

Literate
One of my favorite youtubers, Sseth Tzeentach, just put up a review of Wizardry 8. It looks pretty cool and he included a discount code in the pinned comment. You can grab the GOG version for US$1 using his link, if you're interested. I already snagged a copy. For a buck why not?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
How do you guys get past the horribly slow, repetitive combat, and the constant respawning?

Zimlab
Wizfast + low framerate fix (patches section)
You'll also need fastanim (it's somewhere, i just don't have the link at hand)
Put them in the game directory then run them > max speed, don't be shy

Or there is a fastcombat mod combining them (maybe not the low frame rate thing) in the Wizardry 8 enhancements thread.

The combat is great, if you don't like it, don't play it, there a lot of it.
Later, you get teleport devices and portal spells (on multiple characters).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Wiz8fast: http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/index.htm
"Greatly reduces the time it takes for monsters to move from one position to another while engaged thus greatly reducing the length of battles."

and

Faster combat
  • All monster animations speed increased
  • Velocity of all conventional projectiles greatly increased
  • Rockets fly twice as fast
  • Poison Spit and Stinger Thorn sped up, as they are extensively used by monsters encountered in large groups
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/wizardry-8-enhancements-a-call-to-arms.79581/

^faster combat can be downloaded as a standalone component, I haven't tired the full mod.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I have no idea what I'm doing :M:M:M

dream-team.png

Vatnik Wumao
Its perfectly enjoyable if you know what you're getting into. But its design was already dated when it was just released. And there are a number of difficulty spikes that can make the combat particularly obnoxious.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So you need mods to fix this game and make it playable (i.e. enjoyable)?

Dude, it was released 20 years ago and didn't need 2 years of patching to be playable nor enjoyable.
Maybe you noticed most of the games from that era need some tweaks to run smoothly on recent computers.

It's still the best blobber of all times...

Zibniyat

Arcane
Well I bought it, I mean for $1 it's worth to have it even if it were the worst game of all time, since GOG offers those additional extras that you can browse even if you will never play it... There are many games I purchased for their soundtracks only for example, or have listened to their soundtracks for years before actually playing them (The Witcher 2 for example).

Morkar Left

Its perfectly enjoyable if you know what you're getting into. But its design was already dated when it was just released. And there are a number of difficulty spikes that can make the combat particularly obnoxious.

The only thing that frustrated me was the constant respawns. Otherwise damn awesome game.

Morkar Left

The only thing that frustrated me was the constant respawns. Otherwise damn awesome game.

Level-scaled re-spawns.

Yeah but the respawning was far worse here. Or at least with that amount of enemies.

Arbiter

Scholar

Level-scaled re-spawns.

Yeah but the respawning was far worse here. Or at least with that amount of enemies.

Are there any patches/mods that mitigate that? I would love to replay Wiz 8 once I finish my Wiz 7 playthrough.

Morkar Left

Not that I know but would love to have such a mod actually, too.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Level-scaled re-spawns.

It's not entirely true because each area has a pre-defined level scale, like 5-9 for Arnika road for example (it's not the right number but probably close enough) so they scale up to the point you out-level the area.

Are there any patches/mods that mitigate that? I would love to replay Wiz 8 once I finish my Wiz 7 playthrough.

Honestly, once you know the game, it's not so much of a problem, you get a couple of hybrid classes and a mage to get some portals so you avoid most of the backtracking, chameleon and run/hide for the rest works quite well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom