Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Fellowship Saga looks like Wizardry 8 with the 5E OGL ruleset

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Almkaz Games; The Fellowship Saga

RPGs based on the 5th Edition OGL ruleset are starting to become more common. Last week LESS T_T spotted what I believe may be the first 5E OGL blobber, a mysterious title called The Fellowship Saga. Very little information is available about the game or its developer Almkaz Games. We couldn't find an official website or any social media channels. However, one of our users was able to find a 20 minute gameplay video hidden away on YouTube, and I guess that's all you really need. It reveals a game with non-grid-based exploration and a combat system seemingly inspired by Wizardry 8. So here's that along with the brief description from its Steam page.

Unlikely Heros
In the kingdom of Falone, you control a party of adventurers who suddenly find themselves in an epic struggle for control of the crown.

Key Features
  • Turn-Based Combat: Accessible, Familiar, Tense, and full of choices by using the system from the 5th edition of the world's most popular RPG.
  • Party-based: Teamwork and synergies necessary by creating and managing a party of 5 adventurers.
  • First-person: Accessible first-person gameplay provides up-close action and full controller support.
  • Tailor to your playstyle: 12 Classes and nine races provide a wide range of customization and flexibility - and extended by one level of subclassing.
  • Exploration: Visit wilderness, towns, caverns, and dungeons while completing quests and defeating a wide range of creatures.

I should also mention that the video's description uses the term "blobber", which strongly suggests that the developer reads this website. Come on dude, show yourself! The Fellowship Saga is apparently coming out on November 17th, so I guess we'll know more sooner or later.

aratuk

Cipher
Oh come on, Infinishill! How much is [anonymous] paying you to promote this? You are some kind of an apologetic lawyer of modern RPG failures. Literary no one gives a fuck about this pretentious abomination and you constantly spamming about this shit.

Judaism!

Edit: This comment has been mostly copied & pasted from recent comments on other posts by other users, but I have no doubt that the sentiments expressed are equally applicable here.

Last edited:

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the game looks kinda cool. I've never played an RPG in a midget setting before.

7s2v.gif

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dunno, maybe I'm too old but the video seemed very bland and generic, no personality. I'm slightly put off by the "pastoral" soundtrack too, turning it off would improve the experience actually. And what has it to do with blobbers???

Just fired up Gothic 1 to see if I'm just having a bad day... but no, it's really just that bland.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Game looks like ass but the pitch is really nice. I have grown Stockholm Syndrome over 5e after making a few dozen characters for friends in IRL rounds. The super lenient multi classing rules coupled with a balance that severily reduces the power of multiclassing, keeping them in line with single classes makes for a very interesting mix. You can fuse basically any classes for a new twist if you know what you are doing, while being unlikely to break the game one way or the other.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The UI looks like we haven't made much progress since Gothic 1, transparent elements are always a reliable sign of artistic illiteracy, but....well, it's a turn based blobber so sign me in.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The UI looks like we haven't made much progress since Gothic 1, transparent elements are always a reliable sign of artistic illiteracy, but....well, it's a turn based blobber so sign me in.

Hm, I don't find any problems with the UI of Gothic 1. In fact, I quite like it.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The player creates and directs a party of characters who move and fight as one unit, in first person perspective.

Makes sense according to the "extended" blobber definition then. I've never played freeform 3D blobbers before so I was expecting a Grimrock/EoB style "stepped" 3D.

Since the codex is the AUTHORITATIVE SOURCE, how accurate is the description here?

https://www.giantbomb.com/blobber/3015-8752/

Blobber is a slang term that is used loosely to refer to first-person party-based RPGs in which the player controlled party is not represented as a distinct visual entity in the game world. As such, the game must stay in first-person view at all times within the game world (so that the camera can never be pointed at the party). Functionally, this means that the player's party always stays together and moves and acts as a single unit. No member of the party can be separated spacially from the rest, so, for instance, one party member cannot be commanded to walk down a hallway while the rest of the party waits behind. Thus, the party only has physical presence within the game world in the forms of walking around (i.e. having legs), swinging weapons or casting spells (i.e. having arms), and staying glued together as a solitary mass (i.e. being a blob). This artifice came to be called "a blob with arms and legs" and games that used it were in turn called "blobbers".

Blobbers originated as much out of technological limitation as intentional design in the early 1980s. Computers of that era were very limited in how much they could visually represent on screen, so maintaining a first-person view at all times was used to avoid the need to draw and animate the player's party characters on screen. As a result, scarce computer resources and screen real estate could be dedicated to showing just NPCs and the environment of the game world (which was still far from fully achievable). The necessity of using first-person view in blobbers was also desireable for closely imitating the experience of playing Dungeons & Dragons in which a Dungeon Master tells players about their perception of the game world in second person and the player issues their actions in first person. In early computer RPGs such as blobbers, D&D was nearly always the overwhelmingly dominant source of inspiration, so any method of better simulating the D&D experience was seen as a prime objective.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Thus, the party only has physical presence within the game world in the forms of walking around (i.e. having legs), swinging weapons or casting spells (i.e. having arms), and staying glued together as a solitary mass (i.e. being a blob). This artifice came to be called "a blob with arms and legs" and games that used it were in turn called "blobbers".
Accurate in general, but Dungeon Master in 1987 not only had front/back party ranks but also left/right party columns and allowed for the facing of individual party members to be changed via the upper-right corner of the screen:

x4thzy.bmp

Almkaz

Almkaz Games
Developer
Hello! I am the developer for this game and really appreciate everyone's feedback. Years ago I had the pleasure of working on Wizardry 8 - they were such a talented team! TFS will for sure not be a AAA title as it's just myself developing it - my hope is to make a blobber where the player explores open wilderness areas and real towns, and not just dungeons. I definitely am illiterate from a graphic design point of view and eventually want to get a contractor to help re-skin the UI when the time is right. LOL to the 'midget' post - one look with a fresh perspective and the blob was indeed at eye level with a door handle! Changed the high of the camera that day and it looks so much better. In any event, I am humbled that there was a post here about TFS - I am the farthest thing you will see from a perfect game developer but am motivated to create the best game I can.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom