Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does CD Projekt underpay and abuse its developers?

Lambach

Arcane
Yeah, go work for that developer that has no crunch and lots of open jobs and no competition to get them.

You. Don't. Need. To. Work. For. A. Game. Dev. Company.

Seriously, what the flying fuck? How is this so goddamn difficult? You don't like how the vidya industry operates? Don't participate. Get a job developing software for some boring company that doesn't produce your favorite toys instead, I know for a fact there are always plenty of openings. Stop being a goddamn 30+ year old child.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe we should start with not being exploited no matter what you want to work? Advocating for terrible working conditions in whatever sector is insanity.

Codex Year of the Donut
Maybe we should start with not being exploited no matter what you want to work? Advocating for terrible working conditions in whatever sector is insanity.
This is like telling an abusive husband to quit abusing his wife when we're telling her to leave the husband.
"but she can't because he makes the money!"
that's your argument.

Lacrymas

Arcane
This is like telling an abusive husband to quit abusing his wife when we're telling her to leave the husband.
"but she can't because he makes the money!"
that's your argument.

No, you are defending the husband's right to abuse his wife, then blame the wife for staying because she has no other choice.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Can you even lead a normal conversation?!?
Alphabet people.

OIP.DlDt0h5WgRwXHnSB4Nw_NAHaKM

Lambach

Arcane

I'm not advocating for them. I'm saying that you'll never fix them as long as you keep playing ball and taking the abuse like a little bitch because working in game dev is your d r e a m

If you're a software dev worth a shit, you have options, you have leverage. Use it. People working low-skill jobs are the ones in real trouble, but they don't bitch, whine and moan anywhere nearly as much as game devs. That's why I'm not shitting on Amazon warehouse workers who complain about being abused, but also why I will never miss an opportunity to dunk on game devs who do the same.

DeepOcean

Arcane

I'm not advocating for them. I'm saying that you'll never fix them as long as you keep playing ball and taking the abuse like a little bitch because working in game dev is your d r e a m

If you're a software dev worth a shit, you have options, you have leverage. Use it. People working low-skill jobs are the ones in real trouble, but they don't bitch, whine and moan anywhere nearly as much as game devs. That's why I'm not shitting on Amazon warehouse workers who complain about being abused, but also why I will never miss an opportunity to dunk on game devs who do the same.
This is so funny, there are areas on tech where companies are pleading for you to work with them, because the shortage of labor (at least before coronachan), while other areas like videogames, developers are treated like workhorses soon to go to the soap factory and those doofus tolerate that shit for some reason. People should do a bit of research before seeking a career path, the worse thing you can do, is this attitude "I will have someone to pay for mah dreams.", then this someone dictate the rules and surprise, surprise, those rules work for them not for you. Even worse, the retards push for unionizing, unions amd regulation are only useful to give jobs for indians and chinese, they surely love western unions they are the best at protecting their jobs.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Some of those women are mothers, and the ones who put up with it for their childrens sake are the best mothers on the planet. Sorry mang.
And this excuses the husband's behavior or those who defend him? I don't see what you are saying here.

Semiurge

Cipher
Something's seriously wrong with the western game development if employees must be exploited (yeah, right) in order to deliver a graphically polished product like Witcher 3. But I guess teaming up with Doritos and blowing half of the budget on marketing is more important.

Cael

Arcane

This is so funny, there are areas on tech where companies are pleading for you to work with them, because the shortage of labor (at least before coronachan), while other areas like videogames, developers are treated like workhorses soon to go to the soap factory and those doofus tolerate that shit for some reason. People should do a bit of research before seeking a career path, the worse thing you can do, is this attitude "I will have someone to pay for mah dreams.", then this someone dictate the rules and surprise, surprise, those rules work for them not for you. Even worse, the retards push for unionizing, unions amd regulation are only useful to give jobs for indians and chinese, they surely love western unions they are the best at protecting their jobs.
I think it has nothing to do with career paths. I posit it has more to do with the fact that it is dramaqueens who want to be game developers while the engineering types are more geared towards being pragmatic over "muh dreamz!!!!" It is a personality issue.

Delterius

Arcane
must be exploited (yeah, right)
The Witcher Company pays in polish wages (how's that not exploitation) and they also came out with a press release where they are happy and proud to be a 100 hour week west asian sweatshop. Same thing happens at Blizzard, BioWare and Rockstar.

Not all these companies deliver. After all, once the project managers leave the company and talent commits suicide you can't just overwork to super polish a game into success.

jf8350143

Liturgist
No RPG in recent years has even half of its budget.

You're telling me that pretty much no-name Russians (and Larian too) can get 2 mln on Kickstarter easily but games with big publishers behind them don't have even twice as much?

Sorry, didn't notice I left a 0 out, it's 80 million not 8. On the other hand, we didn't even get many rpgs made with 4 million budget in the past 5 years anyway. The big publishers has pretty much abandoned the RPG genre.

Danikas

Arcane
The Witcher Company pays in polish wages (how's that not exploitation)
"CD Projekt Red employees earn an average of $103 345, ranging from $86 587 at the 25th percentile to $117 266 at the 75th percentile, with top earners (the top 10%) earning more than $134 416. Compensation is derived from fewer than 20 profiles, including base salary, equity and bonus."

Typical polish wages :lol:

Wunderbar

Arcane
The Witcher Company pays in polish wages (how's that not exploitation)
"CD Projekt Red employees earn an average of $103 345, ranging from $86 587 at the 25th percentile to $117 266 at the 75th percentile, with top earners (the top 10%) earning more than $134 416. Compensation is derived from fewer than 20 profiles, including base salary, equity and bonus."
Typical polish wages :lol:
they've started paying more after suffering a brain drain.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
You're telling me that pretty much no-name Russians (and Larian too) can get 2 mln on Kickstarter easily but games with big publishers behind them don't have even twice as much?
No name russians = far better choice than current day Bioware, EA etc, and Larian demonstrated how versatile they were with DD alone (also Swen is smart, and knows any RPG with a mere hint of something Ultima is an untapped vein :lol:)

A lot of companies in Europe are just creating names for themselves now in general - can really see it in game design. CDPR highlighted the fall of the Iron Curtian in Poland as the main reason for their momentum. The rest of Poland is a good example of this now as a whole. Very interesting, and good for competition now that its not 100% American dominated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom