Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry You can get Wizardry 8 for US$1 right now

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I wonder why both M&M series and Wizardry added sci fi elements to a fantasy setting. Which copied which?

They probably had the same inspiration sources, sci-fi & fantasy novels, weird movies from the 70s & 80s as well as comics like Metal Hurlant.

I wonder why both M&M series and Wizardry added sci fi elements to a fantasy setting. Which copied which?

The first Ultima titles did that too back in the early '80s.

Yup, science-fantasy was common back then. Things like Metamorphosis Alpha were published in the mid 70s.

xuerebx

Erudite
Thanks for the link I guess... cause I actually bought it. Although I don't think I can stand that sort of combat system, but it was only €0.96!

Is this game really good?

Black Angel

Arcane
While at it, I'm just gonna add Wizardy 6+7 into my GOG account, which also happened to $1. Who knows, maybe one of these days I would finally click with a blobber. Tried to get into Grimwah the other day by trying to read the manuals first, but unfortunately I think simply trying to read it while not playing the game at the same time is the wrong way to do it.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Its perfectly enjoyable if you know what you're getting into. But its design was already dated when it was just released. And there are a number of difficulty spikes that can make the combat particularly obnoxious.

The only thing that frustrated me was the constant respawns. Otherwise damn awesome game.

Level-scaled re-spawns.
When I first played it I had to completely avoid the swamp because I rested a lot in that area testing something out and every time I would go through it there would be too many enemies to handle. I think I remember enemies despawning in an area eventually but getting the portal skills was a life saver

xuerebx

Erudite
Will try it out with the mods mentioned then :)
You should just try Grimoire man. It's a much better start off point. No one should go straight wizardry 8, you're missing out on 7 games worth of assumed knowledge

Although I'm sure you're right (in the sense that for most games and movies, starting from the beginning nearly always leads to a more fulfilling experience) there is no way I have time to to through the whole series, especially when at first glance it doesn't seem to be the usual style of game for me. With that said, if I really enjoy W8 I will consider going back to earlier games.

As a side note, anyone notice that when playing on newer machines anything you have open when launching the game (e.g. Firefox) resizes to a smaller box? Might need to adjust some compatibility settings.

Vatnik Wumao
Its perfectly enjoyable if you know what you're getting into. But its design was already dated when it was just released. And there are a number of difficulty spikes that can make the combat particularly obnoxious.

The only thing that frustrated me was the constant respawns. Otherwise damn awesome game.

Level-scaled re-spawns.
When I first played it I had to completely avoid the swamp because I rested a lot in that area testing something out and every time I would go through it there would be too many enemies to handle. I think I remember enemies despawning in an area eventually but getting the portal skills was a life saver

Oh man, the swamp. That brings nightmares back. Hated that area.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Peak blobber design, although I agree that the respawns are a bit too much sometimes (fucking plants). I also usually get bored with the game towards the end (basically reaching Rapax castle). It'd be interesting to see where this sub-genre would go if it wasn't completely abandonded for years...

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yup, science-fantasy was common back then. Things like Metamorphosis Alpha were published in the mid 70s.
Metamorphosis Alpha was straight science-fiction, in a malfunctioning colony ship lost for generations. You might be thinking of Tekumel: Empire of the Petal Throne, which mixed fantasy with a science-fiction background taking place in our distant future, where players might uncover highly advanced technological remnants of the past. This is similar to Dave Arneson's Blackmoor setting, which included such elements as the Temple of the Frog (genetic engineering by aliens) and the City of the Gods (an immense crashed alien spaceship).

MegaRhettButler

Literate
You should just try Grimoire man. It's a much better start off point. No one should go straight wizardry 8, you're missing out on 7 games worth of assumed knowledge

You totally blew my mind just now. I thought this was a troll post until I looked it up and saw he actually released it. He actually released Grimoire and he was right about ITZ... Cleve Blakemore, once a figure of fun, really has been vindicated in many ways. I wouldn't be surprised now to discover published research showing he really is part Neanderthal and actually has bones stronger than titanium or whatever the fuck it was he used to talk about.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I wouldn't be surprised now to discover published research showing he really is part Neanderthal and actually has bones stronger than titanium
Why would you doubt this? He craves perfection, in a way that only a Neanderthal could. The proof is in the product

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Holy shit, level scalling can BAD in this game. I've tried 2 person run and I have Metallic Slimes in the starting dungeon.
My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Holy shit, level scalling can BAD in this game. I've tried 2 person run and I have Metallic Slimes in the starting dungeon.
My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined

They're the highest level monster in that dungeon, level scaling has a different limit for each area.
With a regular full party, you don't get them until you come back later or you grind way too much.

Old Hans

Arcane
One of my favorite youtubers, Sseth Tzeentach, just put up a review of Wizardry 8. It looks pretty cool and he included a discount code in the pinned comment. You can grab the GOG version for US$1 using his link, if you're interested. I already snagged a copy. For a buck why not?

Even better, you can get it for free if you pirate it.
dont copy that floppy
steve-brule-gif-2.gif

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Sseth is losing his Ashkenazi Jewish verbal IQ review powers.
They aren't as good as they used to be.

JDR13

Arcane

Although I'm sure you're right (in the sense that for most games and movies, starting from the beginning nearly always leads to a more fulfilling experience) there is no way I have time to to through the whole series, especially when at first glance it doesn't seem to be the usual style of game for me. With that said, if I really enjoy W8 I will consider going back to earlier games.

As a side note, anyone notice that when playing on newer machines anything you have open when launching the game (e.g. Firefox) resizes to a smaller box? Might need to adjust some compatibility settings.

None of the games prior to Wizardry 6 have anything to do with Wiz 6-8 anyways.

I played through Wiz 8 without ever having finished any of the older titles, and I had a blast. It's my favorite turn-based blobber. I tried going back and playing Wiz 6 & 7, but they're tough to get into without nostalgia goggles.

xuerebx

Erudite
Well I've watched a number of videos in the past 2 days and I'm pretty stoked to play it after I finish the current games I'm playing. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the insane number of combat encounters I'll face which every video mentions that it gets tiring especially towards the end of the game. Nonetheless the combat system is now looking very interesting to me so I'd like to try it out.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Metamorphosis Alpha was straight science-fiction, in a malfunctioning colony ship lost for generations.

It's certainly not 'straight' SF, it has fucking faeries and unicorns in it. It's just that these things were explained differently (radiation leakage from the ship's reactor causing mutations).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom