Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Load times in Unity RPGs

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm glad there are fixes for some people, but the best solution would be if the devs optimize their shit. I haven't had FPS issues with the PoEs, but Deadfire's loading times were unbearable. That's actually the thing that made me consider an SSD, the desire to finish a game this century.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Edit: I forgot to mention that I also used the "Swapchain Management" option in Special K's Control Panel:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. And just to be clear: my sole residual issue is micro-stuttering every 30-45 secs. Everything else runs smoothly.

Lacrymas

Arcane
new rule:
people who use spinning rust disks aren't allowed to complain about load times
I only have this problem with recent Unity games. Since I mostly play games from at least 10+ years ago or indie stuff like AoD, UnderRail, ToME, CoQ and so on, it never bothered me enough to get one. But I received a gift card and decided to get with the times in preparation for Kingmaker 2. But like I said, this is conspicuously only a problem with Unity games. PoE, Tranny had terrible loading times too, Kingmaker sorta. Other recent-ish games either have only a single loading screen (AoW3 for example) or load a huge area which doesn't have loading screens every 10 seconds (D:OS). But both AoW3 and D:OS load very fast either way.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Bloody entitled millennials!

:rpgcodex:

Try playing RPGs on a C64 with a single 5 1/4" floppy drive some time! Going from the world map to a city map could easily take 1 minute+ and you had to physically flip the disc over on top of it. Nothing worse than waiting for the world map to load and then realizing you forgot to buy something in the city and have to repeat the whole painful process.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Try playing RPGs on a C64 with a single 5 1/4" floppy drive some time! Going from the world map to a city map could easily take 1 minute+ and you had to physically flip the disc over on top of it. Nothing worse than waiting for the world map to load and then realizing you forgot to buy something in the city and have to repeat the whole painful process.
Ok, there were floppys, then cds, then dvds... The cycles is repeating and turning round 'n' round. When will this endless cycle end once and for all?

Lacrymas

Arcane
I have never used the CD/DVD reader on my current PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom