Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If you could mod Underrail what would you add or change?

Fader

Barely Literate
1. Color code dead ends: I spent a half hour trying to figure out how to power on an electrical panel that was had no power so I could get though a door put up as a thematic dead end. It was very cool that the borders are blocked off thematically but it was frustrating to sink the time.

2a. Crafting raw ingredients from scrap. I am a hoarder at heart and if I understand the logic and limitations of the merchants and I even respect it as a design choice but what am I supposed to do with 47 daggers!?! And don't say throw them away or don't pick them up it is obvious my my stack of 200 ratpelts crammed in my locker that isn't happening.

2b. A faction donation location that will take anything you want to give them for another currency this currency is unlimited however you can only spend it at the donation centers and you turn in these tickets for random piece of higher level gear in appreciation for your help.

3. Utility psionics: a very inefficient out of combat heal. A power that makes conversations easier, the ability to sense the minds in a zone you are in. A psychic recharge for gear. A teleport to set locations (basically anywhere a boat or train goes.

4. A companion system. Even if they are a liability, even if it is just Dogs, rats and bots it would be nice to know this guy has some ability to make connections.

5. A drone build. You take feats to unlock and upgrade progressively stronger more capable bot(s) that you can sink money into and control in combat.

6. The a ability to see though walls where my cursor is (I have had to do so may leaps of faith I feel like Sean Connery is my dad)

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Crafting overhaul
Agreed, but rather than changing crafting mechanics I'd rather see a re-balance of crafting. If you ignore crafting you're basically shooting yourself in the foot cause crafted gear really is OP compared to the shit you find.
Re-balance Dominating
It's fine as is. Pillars of Eternity was basically perfectly balanced and it was dreadfully boring. Having a clear power imbalance between builds or classes, figuring those out, and which ones are viable on the hardest difficulties is honestly a big part of why Underrail and games like it are fun.
Re-balance feats
This would require re-balancing other areas of the game. The reason why feats that only affect controlled zones aren't useful is because, well, there's plenty of money and loot to be had. I don't really see this as necessary.
Yes.

There's not really a lot I'd want to change about Underrail, it's the near perfect game. Probably a redesign of unique weapons to make them actually usable over crafted gear by adding unique mechanics to them, perhaps even making them build enabling. That's one area Pillars of Eternity really shines in.
Too many useless/empty areas. Either remove 'em, or spruce 'em up with some quests or unique gear or challenging encounters or something.

Tigranes

Arcane
2a. Crafting raw ingredients from scrap. I am a hoarder at heart and if I understand the logic and limitations of the merchants and I even respect it as a design choice but what am I supposed to do with 47 daggers!?! And don't say throw them away or don't pick them up it is obvious my my stack of 200 ratpelts crammed in my locker that isn't happening.
d)

This sounds like an extremely painful medical condition and I salute you, sir, for suffering through it

Companions, even of a limited kind, would really disrupt and dilute UR's combat system. Either your dog will just get in the way and trip over your carefully placed traps and shit, or it'll be a meatshield that makes the game way, way easier.

Metronome

Learned
1.Rebalancing to reduce the benefits of save-scumming and meta-gaming.
2.Make it so that you can change the skin color of the player.
3.Allow pacifism and change everything about the end-game.

Though I'm not a big fan of mods, and playing with them usually feels like cheating to me. If I had the skills/support, I would probably just go and make my own game at that point.

Fader

Barely Literate
This sounds like an extremely painful medical condition and I salute you, sir, for suffering through it

Thank you I am trying to get a charity started.

Companions, even of a limited kind, would really disrupt and dilute UR's combat system. Either your dog will just get in the way and trip over your carefully placed traps and shit, or it'll be a meatshield that makes the game way, way easier.

I guess what I mean by companions is either a setup for a build where your primary deal is having followers (caravan guards, some robot minions that sort of thing) think fallout 1 and 2 basically a reason to either play a high charisma character or a high intellect character without psionics.

It might slow down combat a little but could be fun to make a character that just cheers people on in the background while brusiers do their job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
1. Shop restock time.
2. Way more expensive, but plentiful 120+ quality gear at the top-tier shops.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Recycle them into scrap metal and then make advanced mechanical repair kits that can be sold individually and also repair guns and other metal stuff to sell them at full price.

Obviously this doesn't completely solve the problems of a hoarder, but for further help ask Al Fabet for admittance to anonymous hoarders assassination.

Nito

Educated
Patron
I'd make the inventory icons bigger and more readable, as it's difficult to tell at a glance what you have.

Trashos

Arcane
Agreed, but rather than changing crafting mechanics I'd rather see a re-balance of crafting. If you ignore crafting you're basically shooting yourself in the foot cause crafted gear really is OP compared to the shit you find.

Crafting is a HUUGE investment skillwise, and it is also quite a bit of work for the player. It does not make sense not to be the most OP thing in the game (and I am not even sure that it is).

Citizen

Something very cool and completely random like... JETSKIS!?!?!

wait a minute

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
If I had the time I would add a reputation system and rework the different factions to be much more like Gothic 1+2 or Elex. Basically make it so that you have to choose a faction to do quests for that heavily modifies the game and locks you out of other factions. This would encourage replaying the game, something that Underrails character builder system would be perfect for. Current reputation mechanics in the game follow an awfull system where they count kills from faction members and nothing else.

Also more dialogue skill checks. Maybe a simple negotiation minigame.

Trashos

Arcane
Thac0, choosing an oligarch at Core City locks you out from other oligarchs, and also in the Protectorate/Free Drones questline choosing one locks you out from the other. It is not clear what you mean?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thats some stuff I like the most of the game, but what I intent would be a bit more radical. In Gothic there are multiple cities which only give you quests if you join them, and you can only join one. Later you can do some quests of some other cities, but usually as the ambassador of your city. So I would change it that if you represent Foundry as an example you cant take quests in Junkyard at all, that is for a new playthrough. But you may get a new unique quest where you raid Junkyard as Foundry for raw materials for the forges. It would be very experimental but I think it would suit the system.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom