Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Controversial opinions about RPGs that you know deep down are true.

Anonona

Learned
Unless each scenario would require you to create a new party, I foresee huge balancing issues.
Plus that would imply a mission structure, preventing free exploration.

Perhaps a system similar to Darkest Dungeon or Gloomhaven where you retire adventurers after reaching a certain goal or level, or perhaps use a "wound" system similar to X-Com. It could be a game about a guild of adventurers which the player manage and send to different jobs, each job being an adventure. And depending on how you complete you receive different rewards and adventurers need to rest, so it incentivizes you forming different parties, and sending low level parties to low level adventures and trying to manage them well to avoid wounding them too much or losing members. I think for once I'm ok without free exploration, just going to tightly designed scenarios may be fun.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Isn't that basically the DLC model, or in Neverwinter Nights' case the "module" model? A Dragon Age Inquisition DLC for example would be a couple new areas and a separate story. Mass Effect 2's Overlord thing. Mini-expansions basically. Only difference would be putting them on a menu to choose which to start, rather than having them in the game world itself as a "go to DLC" option at a computer or whatever.
It is, but in this case, the game is designed around the separate scenarios instead of being cut from/stuffed into a story mode.

Sorcerian benefitted from its popularity by having various scenario disks, which served as DLC/modules back then -- IIRC you still needed the system disk from the original game in order to play these, but they were self-contained scenarios.

Codex Year of the Donut
It would have been a more controversial (but still true) opinion if you said 10-20 hours.
Actually, I'd like to see RPGs try a different approach: instead of a single overarching story, the game offers several separate scenarios that can be completed in 8-15 hours, connected by a 'town' where you can assign various jobs to your characters to earn money w/o grinding and shit. Basically, something closer to Sorcerian when it comes to the overall game structure.

With a modular approach like this, I might even enjoy the idea of getting new scenarios as paid DLC. :smug:
wasn't this the original design of neverwinter nights?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It is, but in this case, the game is designed around the separate scenarios instead of being cut from/stuffed into a story mode.

I think someone could make an NWN or Dragon Age style game with a ton of module support but not a main campaign. You'd have to charge much less than $60 at launch though, and have a good number of modules right away and promised within a certain timeframe.

I do like that if I want a quick dose of NWN or DA:O I can load one of the shorter start-from-scratch DLC campaigns.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
It would have been a more controversial (but still true) opinion if you said 10-20 hours.
Actually, I'd like to see RPGs try a different approach: instead of a single overarching story, the game offers several separate scenarios that can be completed in 8-15 hours, connected by a 'town' where you can assign various jobs to your characters to earn money w/o grinding and shit. Basically, something closer to Sorcerian when it comes to the overall game structure.

With a modular approach like this, I might even enjoy the idea of getting new scenarios as paid DLC. :smug:
wasn't this the original design of neverwinter nights?
Maybe, I don't remember for sure -- NWN1 was my 'go to' game when I ran out of sleeping pills.

I think someone could make an NWN or Dragon Age style game with a ton of module support but not a main campaign. You'd have to charge much less than $60 at launch though, and have a good number of modules right away and promised within a certain timeframe.

I do like that if I want a quick dose of NWN or DA:O I can load one of the shorter start-from-scratch DLC campaigns.
Hum, module support would've probably extended the life of a game like this. Gotta take notes.

Codex Year of the Donut
I liked the DA:O DLC campaigns because they were mostly self-contained short side-adventures that you could do with your main character.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Almost every game made in the last years satisfy the "what is an RPG" definitions made so far, so that the same concept of RPG has lost any meaning. Therefore also the existence of this dedicated forum has no meaning.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Where's my mobile early SSI, Epyx, interplay, etc rpgs? I GOTS A PHONE! Isn't phone the only RPG machine we should be playing?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Elven women getting with human men is the high fantasy version of the nerd getting the cheerleader.

I just finished a Dragon Age 2 replay (I know, I know) and the elf chick Merrill is probably the biggest "manic pixie dream girl" in RPGs I can think of. Pure nerd bait for those Joss Whedon fanboys just waiting for their chance with the hot "nerd" girl. She never even wears shoes.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Merrill [...] the hot "nerd" girl.

latest

Yeah..."hot"

Generic-Giant-Spider

The only Morrigan I know is Morrigan Aensland the SUCCUBUS from Darkstalkers.

HUGE TITS.

IMPOSSIBLE HIPS.

FAT ASS.

TINY WAIST.

PERFECT.

The COMPARISON:

latest

Trashy trailer park looking skank.
Small tits promising insufficient milk for young.
Overly pale complexion likely due to countless hours of being a weird witch whore.
Probably has osteoporosis due to the above making her ill-fitting for HIGH ADVENTURE.
A solid 6/10 when inebriated.

latest

Classy haircut promoting a coquette look.
Gigantic tits that refuse to bow to Western faggotry.
Healthy complexion, can change it to whatever she wishes because she was made to fuck.
Will produce amazing demonspawn that will one day enslave humanity with any luck at all.
A HARD 11/10 even if you're gay.

Don't @ me.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom