Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The talk itself is over 6 years old but they re-uploaded this on their Youtube channel:

DOOM MYST 20 Years After
Featuring John Romero & Rand Miller
Thursday, April 18, 2014

There are few games as important or influential as DOOM and MYST. While DOOM founded what would become one of the defining genres of video games, MYST introduced a huge new audience to the digital art form.

Join us for an evening with two of the most important creative forces behind these two world changing games, John Romero (DOOM) and Rand Miller (MYST), as they discuss their visionary works. The free-wheeling conversation, moderated by Frank Lantz, director of the NYU Game Center, will find the two legends meditating on their subsequent careers, sharing their thoughts about the development and future of the game industry, and commenting on the legacies of each other’s work.

Fun talk. Things like how two games originated from different aspects of D&D, how they differently approached the concept of 3D space, etc. It would have been cooler if there was Ultima Underworld (it's mentioned in the talk) too, but I guess it's less iconic.

The Decline

Arcane
yhb715rtedy41.jpg

I know this one from experience, after seeing an extensive video comparing the various versions of Prince of Persia, and the Amstrad CPC-version was being played with scanlines.

People may shit all over the Amstrad for various reasons, but it came with its own damn monitor and it didn't have scanlines in it!

Great point about PVMs, I had one pretty decent CRT 14" tv, two 14" video monitors (CM8833 and 1084s), 14" Microvitec M1438 and pretty (or even very) good 19" CRT, and I don't remember any of them having nearly as noticeable scanlines as those "scanline emulators" tend to have. It also greatly depended on which output you used, many of the older consoles, such as NES had either just RF or composite, which both are garbage. Many used composite on even other machines which supported better ouputs, like S-Video or RGB, which looks much better than composite. C64 had S-video output, and it looks great on video monitor or television which supports it, and I remember using RGB on my Amiga, looked pretty damn good.

I'd welcome shader/filter for emulated games which emulates the look of the CRT tv/monitor without having very noticeable scanlines, as even very good video monitors and CRT monitors did have that "blurring" effect on old games. I still kick myself for getting rid of that 19" monitor even though it was wore down as fuck.

I never understood all these scanline crap. I don't remember TVs of PC monitors having them (or at least being noticeable)

You can pick out some very faint scanlines on the last picture if you look closely. But you wouldn't see those from a normal viewing distance.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Also, it won't look quite that blurry when viewed through your eyes instead of a camera. Unless on a shitty TV or output.
And scanlines on a monitor? Nah.

Why do people use them, though... well, besides those that do it out of hipsterism, it's also I guess because it gives some texture to the image. Arguably it can make SOME games look better.
Claiming that applying these filters is playing them as they were originally played is just stupid bullshit, though.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

The shenanigans begin around the 6-minute mark, where he skips most of Chapter 1 straight into Chapter 2, and then all the way to Chapter 18 after that. If the mandatory cutscenes could be skipped this would be a 14-minute speedrun.

The glitching is so bad that he gets all the equipment without having to collect it first, and has to worry more about facehuggers than the Alien itself.

Perkel

Arcane
I never understood all these scanline crap. I don't remember TVs of PC monitors having them (or at least being noticeable)

PC monitors were much higher res than your standard TV but they still had scanlines. You don't remember scanlines because you were not looking at picture from 10cm away.

Gerrard

Arcane
yhb715rtedy41.jpg

I know this one from experience, after seeing an extensive video comparing the various versions of Prince of Persia, and the Amstrad CPC-version was being played with scanlines.

People may shit all over the Amstrad for various reasons, but it came with its own damn monitor and it didn't have scanlines in it!
Needs to be reposted every time someone posts a screenshot with scanlines in the screenshot thread.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
A cool article : https://colapoweredgamer.wordpress.com/2019/08/12/under-the-radar-sci-fi-games-comedy/
166037-planetfall-trs-80-coco-front-cover.jpg
Under The Radar: Comedy Games (Sci-Fi)
Leave a reply

After finishing reviewing Space Quest series, here are some sci-fi comedy games that might have gone under your radar.

Planetfall/Stationfall

523661-planetfall-dos-screenshot-the-beginning.png

Planetfall and Stationfall are two interactive fiction games developed by Infocom and Planetfall is the first game to be designed by video game legend Steve Meretzky. Released in 1983 and 1987. Both games are fantastically written text-adventures, and you can expect witty dialog, funny jokes and similar things if you played any Steve Meretzky game. Despite similarities with Space Quest (both games feature a janitor that saves the day), in several interviews, the creators of Space Quest stated that they were unaware of the games. The games like many other Infocom games at the time came with the so-called “feelies”, which were packaged bonuses that came with the box release, and would explain the universe and backstory. Fortunately, all of these are available on-line and are quite fun to read.

In Planetfall, you play as Ensign Seventh Class on the S.P.S Feinstein (basically a space janitor), a starship of Stellar Patrol. According to the journal you get with the game, you didn’t exactly get the adventure you expected, and to make things worse, you’re on the deserting ship. Suddenly after a series of explosions, you manage to get to the escape pod and crash land on a nearby planet. While on the planet you befriend a child-like robot Floyd and begin to explore the only, apparently deserted structure on the planet. Once the plot continues to unfold, a time limit is implemented. Floyd, your sidekick will offer you hints and suggestions, but the game is full of red herrings, maybe a bit too much. There are also a lot of useless rooms to explore, like closets, dormitories, and such, but this only adds to the feeling that you are exploring a large place.

Stationfall set five years after the end of the first game, you are promoted from Ensign Seventh Class to Lieutenant First Class. Unfortunately, you are now stuck behind a desk and have to deal with a mountain of paperwork, instead of doing something important. All of this will change when a routine assignment comes in. You are to accompany a space truck on its way to the space station and pick up “Request for Stellar Patrol Issue Regulation Black Form Binders Request Form Forms”. Once you arrive at your destination, you and Floyd find the station deserted and must figure out what happened.

There was supposed to be the third game in the series but unfortunately was never made. Both games are a good read, and can easily be played in DOSBox, and most importantly they can be found easily on-line. Give this one a try, if you are looking for a good read and good sci-fi comedy.

Orion Burger

126576-orion-burger-dos-screenshot-at-orion-burger-headquarters.gif

The premise of Orion Burger is certainly unique. The intergalactic fast-food Orion Burger is in trouble. Under the environmentalist pressure, their premise of using only unintelligent lifeforms is about to fall. Using their only alien meat supplier Zlarg, he devises a plan to use humans, as new raw, protein-rich material. However, Intergalactic law forbids using sentient species as food. Every raw ingredient needs to pass tests for sentience. Zlarg knows this, so he rigs the test, in such a way that no species can pass it.

You play as Wilbur Wafflemeier, a pet shop owner, who is abducted by Zlarg, to take the tests. Wilbur, of course, fails miserably, but due to teleportation glitch, he arrives intact, one hour before his abduction, and can now cheat his way through tests.

The game was released in 1996 and developed by Sanctuary Woods, and plays in the same manner as most adventure games at the time. You use simple verb commands like “Talk”, “Use”, etc. Orion Burger’s graphics, animation, and interface are all nicely done and fit well with its cartoonish art style. The game also has voice acting, which is decent and background effects, but features very little music. Fortunately, you cannot get stuck or die in this game, due to the games time-loop mechanic. Most of the tests are puzzles, while others are just cutscenes. You can also choose to give up on a test or skip straight to abduction.

The game isn’t available on any of the major game stores, but fortunately can be found easily on-line. If you are looking for a nicely drawn and animated comedy, give this one a try.

Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender

52510-rex-nebular-and-the-cosmic-gender-bender-screenshot.jpg

Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender can be considered MicroProse’s answer to Space Quest and adventure games in general. The game is inspired somewhat by Leisure Suit Larry and Space Quest. Released in 1992, Rex Nebular is also the first game that Brian Reynolds worked on.

The plot follows Rex Nebular is a bumbling Casanova wannabe, is hired by Colonel Stone to go and retrieve a vase that holds a sentimental value to him. Naturally, Rex heads to the location where the vase was last seen. On the way, his ship is attacked and Rex crash-lands on an unknown planet. Soon, he discovers that the planet is populated exclusively by women. Due to a war of genders, the females annihilate the males by using the biological weapon, and now the only way to procreate is to use the device called the Cosmic Gender Bender or simply the Gender Bender. Rex is soon captured by elite forces and now must find a way to escape, preferably with vase and his body intact.

The game, for the most part, plays as a standard adventure game, but with comedy and some erotic elements. You use the verb commands interact with things, and most of the puzzles are inventory-based. There are also three difficulty levels, and the higher difficulty offers more puzzles and death scenes. Even though you can die, you have unlimited chances and Rex’s last safe position will be restored, after his death. The game also features four endings, but the true ending is probably the funniest. Rex Nebular features nice graphics and sound for the time and uses rotoscoped animation.

The game is unfortunately short, and the planned sequel was never made. The manual, which is cleverly written, by Steve Meretzky. Rex Nebular is available on both Steam and GOG and will provide you with good comedy, even though it may seem short.

The Space Bar

32774-the-space-bar-windows-screenshot-entering-the-bar-talking-to.jpg

Developed by Boffo Games and released in 1997, The Space Bar is another game designed by Steve Meretzky. The game is played from the first-person perspective, and you use the mouse to navigate and interact with the world. It is played in a similar way to Myst and Zork, your movement is restricted between panoramic screens, and you can rotate the camera 360° on each screen.

The game is set on a rich mining planet Armpit VI, and the planet is owned by a corporation named Amalgamated Vacuum. The corporation is powerful enough to run a police force called AVSF. You play as a detective Alias Node (the only human on the planet) and you and your partner Maksh, witness the murder of a fellow police officer while investigating an apparent break-in. The trace leads you to the space bar “The Thirsty Tentacle”. The problem is that the killer is a shape-shifting alien, and is capable of assuming the likeness of any alien in the bar. To make things worse, Maksh is kidnapped and you only have a few hours before the killer escapes on a space shuttle.

The game is set on a rich mining planet Armpit VI, and the planet is owned by a corporation named Amalgamated Vacuum. The corporation is powerful enough to run a police force called AVSF. You play as a detective Alias Node (the only human on the planet) and you and your partner Maksh, witness the murder of a fellow police officer while investigating an apparent break-in. The trace leads you to the space bar “The Thirsty Tentacle”. The problem is that the killer is a shape-shifting alien, and is capable of assuming the likeness of any of the many aliens in the bar. To make things worse, Maksh is kidnapped and you only have a few hours before the killer escapes on a space shuttle.

Unfortunately, the game was a commercial disaster. Boffo Games attempted to create a text-adventure experience, but with visuals. The humor is good, the alien memories and perspectives are unique and memorable, and there is clever puzzle design. Give this one a try if you want to play something unique.

Also, not sure if these were ever posted here :
Source : https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/6jl50p/i_drew_a_map_of_shadowgate/
Source : https://designyoutrust.com/2018/09/fathers-game-guides-are-amazing/

Dayyālu

Arcane
Chad has a dream of building a harem of demons, so he goes to Hell to collect them. Unexpected hilarity ensues.

Shame on me, I played it. It's weird as fuck and anime as fuck.

Weird not in the sense of "weirdness", weird in the sense it's a 20 minutes "gameplay" experience where you solve half a dozen easy as fuck "puzzles" (that are quite badly designed having one solution and one solution only) and only the final boss fight requires minimal capabilities. But it's also 20 minutes long, has no plot whatsoever, has a shitton of characters and art (entire Spiderweb games have less art assets than this!).

What's it for? It's not fapbait. It's not an artsy game. It's not a puzzle game. It feels like a flash game but by the Gods why so many assets and effort for a 20 minutes experience?

I don't get it.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Try looking at the credits...

As much as I can approve animu Sororitas tiddies, it looks like Twitter artist number 500. I'm not saying the game is bad, but it feels off for the amount of artwork and effort involved.

Or maybe I'm not getting it, simple as that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom