Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Onos

Barely Literate
Playing through Ao with its current translation is possible, but enjoying it? How did you manage to do that? Unless i'm mistaken and most people in this thread actually understand japanese but from I've seen the Ao translation is tragically inconsistent. For one of the most text-heavy jrpg series out there I'm surprised so many people don't find the current translation of Ao to be a deal-breaker.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah pretty much got bored with the story/characters, trying to stick with it because I'm curious where it's going.

I'm certain a lot of people felt this way, myself included. If you stick with it, there is going to be a certain point when the world, story, and characters click into place for you, at which point I guarantee you'll be hooked for the next 8 games to come. The 12 hour point was that moment for me. There was a brief point in SC where I struggled too, but that was the last time.

I'm playing on Hard and it is ball-bustingly difficult

The Sky games can be absurdly difficulty on Hard sometimes, yet extremely rewarding. Utilize and customize your orbments to their full degree, do all Bracer contracts, fight every initial encounter in a new area you see, and stay well equipped. This should set you up for success.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
wait until you see the drinking scene with sara

Yosharian use arts focused character and start building orbments setting with high level arts ASAP. the old game's balance seems to be designed around arts as your main tool as opposed to crafts like in cold steel. high level attack arts, then aoe healing ,aoe buff, debuff etc. speed is broken stat, have joshua as high speed as possible and use his delay ability to cheese some fights.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Playing through Ao with its current translation is possible, but enjoying it? How did you manage to do that? Unless i'm mistaken and most people in this thread actually understand japanese but from I've seen the Ao translation is tragically inconsistent. For one of the most text-heavy jrpg series out there I'm surprised so many people don't find the current translation of Ao to be a deal-breaker.
not a problem if you grown up on anime being distributed in subway stations on pirated vhs tapes with subtitles made in a bathroom.

btw i think this is underrated, and inside underrated series, represents well the underrateness so postin

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
not a problem if you grown up on anime being distributed in subway stations on pirated vhs tapes with subtitles made in a bathroom.

btw i think this is underrated, and inside underrated series, represents well the underrateness so postin

Not underrated tbh, it is just very inaccessible until very recently. Almost every trails fan i know has their mind blown by ao and crosbell im general including me.

It's just very hard ot obtain these games few years ago unless you know Japanese

Deleted member 7219

The translation is nowhere near Xseed or even Geofront quality, but it is passable, especially if you get the latest patch as detailed here.

I just played through a huge, Zemuria-affecting event in Azure and the quality of the translations at least in that section got close to Xseed. I forgot I was playing an amateur attempt at translation and it felt like I was just playing Trails. But it isn't consistent across the whole game.

Reinhardt

Arcane
After playing Rance with machine translator any translation is fine(until translators start pushing their agenda)

Slaver1

Savant
Well, it took until like the middle of chapter 3 for the game for to truly begin, but it finally did.

20200515123516-1.jpg

:love:

Edit: This also marks the return of...

The waifu-mobile!

20200515140642-1.jpg

:love:

What about Sara with the brown wig tho :shredder:

Btw, it's quite interesting that Prince Oliverts' romantic interest is also a
28-year old Bracer who enjoys the odd drink.

Last edited:

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Skys combat is overrated as fuck. Its mostly using the right orbments, not what you actually do in combat. CS has way better combat.

Deleted member 7219

Skys combat is overrated as fuck. Its mostly using the right orbments, not what you actually do in combat. CS has way better combat.

I definitely think the combat in the series has improved. If you play all the games in order you can see how complexity is added over time and the old "hit them with your stick hard" tactics of the first game just don't work and greater emphasis is put on arts, orders, and mastering the turn orders. The way orbments are dealt with in Cold Steel are also better in my view, and by the time you get to Cold Steel 2 you can almost turn almost any character into any 'class' you want just by fiddling with their quartz and accessories.

Having said that I went back to TITS 1 and 2 recently and played them on Nightmare, and they are tough as hell. Same thing with Azure on Hard.

So yes, the Cold Steel games have the most detail and complexity to the combat, therefore making it "better" in terms of being more interesting, but the older games are still hard if you play on a high difficulty.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Imo cs3 system is the best, followed by Ao with old orbment system but with master quartz, then zero which is just more varied sky sytem, cs1/2 next. The added brave system, and weaknesses to certain enemy attacks encourage you to switch around characters while balancing crafts instead of focusing mostly on arts because breaks system and BP.

Sky is definitely the simplest, but i actually enjoyed playing orbment tetris.

Imo orbment tetris reached its peak fun in mid game where the options are open for you but havent got the huge amount of resources that you can basically buy anything. It's satisfying creating a team or even 1 guy with optimized stat and arts with limited resources.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeeesh, they're really going deep with this ecchi fanservice shit in later installments, huh? Kind of embarrassing. Trails shouldn't have to stoop to such levels, but I guess Japan gonna Japan. Pretty :decline: though.

Deleted member 7219

Yeeesh, they're really going deep with this ecchi fanservice shit in later installments, huh? Kind of embarrassing. Trails shouldn't have to stoop to such levels, but I guess Japan gonna Japan. Pretty :decline: though.

I don't really care about that stuff to be honest. Most of the game isn't about it. The incest stuff triggers me way more. Estelle & Joshua. Lloyd & Cecile. Rean & Elise.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I don't mind Estelle and Josh since they met late enough that maybe westermarck effect didn't take place, but Rean and Elise is just weird, but fortunately Rean doesn't reciprocate. I haven't played any of the Crossbell games so no opinion on that.

Jinn

Arcane
I don't mind Estelle and Josh since they met late enough that you can pretend the westermark effect didn't take place

Agree. It's a little weird, but not outright disgusting. They aren't related by blood and they met later in life. Like childhood friends that had a brother/sister undertone to their relationship, which developed into deeper feelings from there. I can't really look at it as incestuous.

I haven't played any of the Crossbell games so no opinion on that.

Cecile and Lloyd stuff is preeetty mild, unless there is some hidden relationship stuff I missed? Even then, it's his brother's girlfriend, so again, not really strictly incestuous.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom