Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mafia: Definitive Edition - remake of Mafia from Hangar 13

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It also looks like a promotional static render with lots of post processing, not an in-game realtime rendered screenshot, doubt the final product looks anything like this, but we'll see.

"Lots of post-processing" is what modern graphics are all about, sadly.

Lemming42

Arcane
The few screenshots we have don't look too bad. Mafia 1 was obviously going for realism too, so it's not like it's a betrayal of the original art style or anything.

As long as they get all the 1930s clothing, architecture, cars etc and try to make it feel just as much of an authentic window into the past as the original game did then they can't really go wrong.

The news about the cover system is disappointing but I guess replicating the style of movement and combat in Mafia 1 wouldn't go over well today, everyone would be complaining that Tommy controls weirdly.

Really the biggest concern is the new script. Oh, and the soundtrack too, they better not fuck with that. The game is nothing without this:

Lemming42

Arcane
Having the Model T crap out on the small incline near Salieri's Bar is a top 10 gaming moment. Especially if you start to roll backwards into the cars behind you. ESPECIALLY if you roll backwards into a cop car and get fined.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Then play M1 and not this dog shit remake from the Mafia 3 makers. Who knows how much they'll deviate from the original?

The mafia families will be composed of 50% Amelia Earhart lookalikes, 49% negros and 1% privileged Italian immigrant taxi driver.

As long as they get all the 1930s clothing, architecture, cars etc and try to make it feel just as much of an authentic window into the past as the original game did then they can't really go wrong.

Not allowed.

Lemming42

Arcane

Not allowed.

Come on, nobody complains about the original game. Absolutely nobody is going to insist that the mafia should consist of black women.

Especially since the game is ultimately anti-mafia... I mean, you kill virtually the whole Morello family throughout the game, and then virtually the whole Salieri family at the end.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Come on, nobody complains about the original game.

None of 'those people' played it, or they played it many moons ago before they were swept up in the current vogue.

Absolutely nobody is going to insist that the mafia should consist of black women.

The people holding the purse strings will certainly insist upon it in some form. An authentic depiction of that time is threatening enough as to generally not be allowed, plain and simple. That's if the people rewriting it even have a conception of how things were, which is less and less likely.

Lemming42

Arcane
I don't know. I don't think Tommy is likely to get sex reassignment surgery mid-game, or that Don Salieri will be made into a black woman in a wheelchair or anything like that.

At the most, we'll get a bonus sideplot about racism in 1930s America where Tommy turns to the camera and clearly states that he's not racist and hates racism, which will be awkward and cringey but not that bad. I guess they could also try to give more focus to Michelle and Sara who are basically the only female characters as far as I remember, which again wouldn't be necessarily a bad thing since the Michelle subplot is thinly sketched in the original and Sara has virtually no character or screentime at all despite ostensibly being quite an important figure.

I'd rather they didn't change the script at all, but as long as they insist on doing so, I don't think any "social justice" changes they make will be that bad. I'm more concerned that they'll completely botch the tone and we'll get stuck listening to everyone saying "fuck fuck fuck" every other word, or that Tommy will be dark and edgy rather than upbeat and affable.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I am curious about the VA change. Tommy had a pretty average Joe voice that made him likeable, but the one in the trailer is like generic grizzled gangster #200. Hard to say where that's located. Surely they won't make Tommy right off the bat sound like a dude who has gunned down dozens of mafiosos.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
At the most, we'll get a bonus sideplot about racism in 1930s America where Tommy turns to the camera and clearly states that he's not racist and hates racism, which will be awkward and cringey but not that bad. I guess they could also try to give more focus to Michelle and Sara who are basically the only female characters as far as I remember, which again wouldn't be necessarily a bad thing since the Michelle subplot is thinly sketched in the original and Sara has virtually no character or screentime at all despite ostensibly being quite an important figure.
I've got a leaked script right here. It says that Michelle kills Tommy in the brothel bathroom with a golf club baseball bat and becomes the protagonist for the rest of the game, murdering misogynistic mobsters one by one. In the last mission you hunt down and beat up Sarah for becoming a submissive housewife and betraying the feminist movement.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The news about the cover system is disappointing but I guess replicating the style of movement and combat in Mafia 1 wouldn't go over well today,
Fuck this gay earth! Really, they will implement a modern cover system? I knew it! Those fucking idiots! Why, oh why? That fucking modern cover system, I 'd like to go back in time and beat some sense into the person who made the first one! Why do they have to use that? Mafia's system was basic but realistic. Figure this, you can crouch down and manually go behind cover! It's unbelievable, right! But no, crouching down is not enough for these fucktards! You have to look coooooll!!!! Fuck fuck fuck!!!!!!hoifdsanfdsafjoisaoifhesnaklfdjlksadjf NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
M3 even had limited health regen, so it's not totally popamole.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mafia 1 (and Max Payne) had that 'doorway shuffle' as a method of cover system by and large which was pretty janky. Mafia 3 actually had a decent enough system. If they mixed it with no health regen that would go a long way. It's regen that is the real cancer in games that makes cover so shitty.

Also edginess aside, Mafia 3 was pretty good(not a real Mafia game of course, more like a more serious GTA), and the characters were pretty good and cynical(the nig hero is a real bastard, killing an entire paddleboat of civilians just to get to one bad guy for example. Was good they didn't make him a loveable rogue who turned bad cause of whitey. He goes far beyond that justification). Pacing could have been better as it turned into a grind in between the main missions, but I enjoyed the game.

What I would like it to see Mafia 2 added to. Such a great setting, and so little to do in it. The DLC's mostly were a phoned in joke and systems like the stealth were barely utilised.

Deleted member 7219

If they mixed it with no health regen that would go a long way. It's regen that is the real cancer in games that makes cover so shitty.

How did health even worked in M1? Can't remember anymore. There was an automatic regen, wasn't there?

The only way to heal in Mafia 1 was to use health packs. And you didn't have much health, a couple of bullets could kill you, so it was pretty unforgiving.

Mafia 2 had regen up to a certain point, where you'd have to use food or drinks to top up the last bit. But it was forgiving unless you ran into a bunch of people shooting at you. You could take a few shots and be fine - just crouch behind something and wait. I still liked the game though.

Mafia 3, haven't played it, don't care. It is a game about a black gangster in New Orleans, it isn't a Mafia game.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Mafia 1 (and Max Payne) had that 'doorway shuffle' as a method of cover system by and large which was pretty janky. Mafia 3 actually had a decent enough system. If they mixed it with no health regen that would go a long way. It's regen that is the real cancer in games that makes cover so shitty.
The two-button gameplay is the worst part for me. With blindfiring you don't always even have to use the second button. In Mafia 1 (and any good shooter) you always have to balance risk and reward when leaving cover, but with cover systems the risk often becomes negligible, so you need a horde of enemies or serious HP bloat bullshit to make it challenging.

Also, Max Payne is pretty much the antithesis of a cover shooter in my books. You go out in the open and kill the enemies in the coolest possible way.

Sentinel

Arcane
with cover systems the risk often becomes negligible, so you need a horde of enemies or serious HP bloat bullshit to make it challenging.
Not really, the problem is that the AI stopped being aggressive and actively trying to flank and push you, so in 99% of shooters released in the past 15 years you can just safely stay behind cover and pop everyone easily because they don't even bother moving around.
Cover systems aren't inherently a bad thing, it's just another tool. With shooters, half the encounter design battle is having actual competent AI, and the other half is pretending the AI is fully competent (like FEAR did with constant callouts that didn't actually translate to anything in game, just added a lot of flavor).

Deleted member 7219

Apparently M2 DE is already out in some regions? Fucking staggered releases man.

Looks exactly the same as PC version. I went back and played through it again at the weekend. Looks like 'Definitive Edition' just means a re-release for the current generation of consoles.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Not really, the problem is that the AI stopped being aggressive and actively trying to flank and push you, so in 99% of shooters released in the past 15 years you can just safely stay behind cover and pop everyone easily because they don't even bother moving around.
It's another factor for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom