Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New exclusive The Black Hound info released!

Sammael

Liturgist
In case anyone gives a damn, I've started updating the news on my TBH FAQ page on a semi-regular basis. I will get around to updating the FAQ itself one of these days.

http://theblackhound.googlepages.com

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hümmelgümpf said:
http://the-black-hound.com/blog/

Lot's of juicy updates now. Also, I hate to be a shit head, but I think with J's weapon fixes the great sword should be 3-12 (3d4) instead of 1d12. Swords that do fewer crits should have a more consistent dmg range IMO. Too bad 3rd edition did away with speed factors... Otherwise, I really like what's going on here.

J.E. Sawyer

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
I think I may change all of the slashing weapons to do 2d of damage instead of their current 1d. The shortsword would be 2d4, greatsword 2d6, longsword 2d5 (all weapons in the advanced slashing category would use one of those damage ranges). You're right; normalization of the damage curve is pretty useful, and it does bump up the average damage by .5.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
J.E. Sawyer said:
longsword 2d5

5sideddie.jpg

There's no 5-sided die in D&D!

Warden

Arbiter
J.E. Sawyer said:
I think I may change all of the slashing weapons to do 2d of damage instead of their current 1d. The shortsword would be 2d4, greatsword 2d6, longsword 2d5 (all weapons in the advanced slashing category would use one of those damage ranges). You're right; normalization of the damage curve is pretty useful, and it does bump up the average damage by .5.

Huh.. and you plan to leave bludg. and piercing weapon damage as is?

Oh, ok, I read you plan to adjust other weapons as well.
Do you plan to do a damage reduction system on armors instead of AC? Since you started adjusting base weapons.. why not taking it a step further? :)

J.E. Sawyer

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
J.E. Sawyer said:
longsword 2d5

5sideddie.jpg

There's no 5-sided die in D&D!
Use a d10, broseph.

Warden said:
Oh, ok, I read you plan to adjust other weapons as well.
Do you plan to do a damage reduction system on armors instead of AC? Since you started adjusting base weapons.. why not taking it a step further? :)
Yeah, armor will use damage-type specific DR. Within a category (light, medium, heavy), any given suit of armor is good at resisting one or two categories of damage, bad at resisting the others. E.g. chain is good at resisting slashing, not good at resisting bludgeoning and piercing.

dragonfk

Erudite
J.E. Sawyer said:
Yeah, armor will use damage-type specific DR. Within a category (light, medium, heavy), any given suit of armor is good at resisting one or two categories of damage, bad at resisting the others. E.g. chain is good at resisting slashing, not good at resisting bludgeoning and piercing.

You didnt elaborate on heavy armor, but I believe heavy( plate mail) should have very high DR against every type of physical attack not just for 1 or 2. On the other hand those wearing them should be prepared that no dodging or moving fast is possible. So low AC or even a negative one should be used for full plate mails for an example.

J.E. Sawyer

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Warden said:
Will it be default static DR available in the toolset or something more fancy like scripted variable DR (like; 2d4)?
I'd prefer to use die ranges but that may be too problematic. I have it set up as flat resistances now.

dragonfk said:
You didnt elaborate on heavy armor, but I believe heavy( plate mail) should have very high DR against every type of physical attack not just for 1 or 2. On the other hand those wearing them should be prepared that no dodging or moving fast is possible. So low AC or even a negative one should be used for full plate mails for an example.
Light armor does not penalize Dex, medium penalizes a bit (-2), and heavy penalizes more (-4). Ultimately, heavy armor grants better protection against all damage types than lighter armor, but each type of heavy armor has its own strengths and weaknesses (good resistances and worse resistances).

Warden

Arbiter
You must be aware of 2 things:

Dex penality for items doesn't work.

Damage resistance for physical damage doesn't work.

Yes, the toolset offers many options that aren't working.

It'd be great though if you implemented a variable damage reduction system with weapons having various armor penetration values.

hiver

This "little" work of yours mr Sawyer sounds so good i would pay for it.
Is it even possible for you to charge for it? Something like 5-10 bucks maybe.

Or our eternal gratitude will be enough?

J.E. Sawyer

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Warden said:
You must be aware of 2 things:

Dex penality for items doesn't work.

Damage resistance for physical damage doesn't work.
I tested resistance for physical damage and it worked. I mean, it may have broken since I last checked, but...

hiver

I just feel that if anyone puts so much effort into something like this he should get something in return.
Just... thinking out loud.... no comment required really.
Generally moders that make huge mods, total conversions and put years of work in should be able to get a few bucks per download at least...

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
hiver said:
I just feel that if anyone puts so much effort into something like this he should get something in return.
Just... thinking out loud.... no comment required really.
Generally moders that make huge mods, total conversions and put years of work in should be able to get a few bucks per download at least...

Then he'd have to deal with DRM. Look how that worked with Mysteries of Westgate: The game was finished in 2007, and it's still not out.

hiver

yeah.... yeah... and probably a ton of other shit too.

but i just cant shake the feeling we would have a much bigger and healthier mod scene if those people could actually have a chance of earning ... anything.
(yes...experience, knowledge and all that is good but doesnt hold moders together)

Anyway, good decisions on weapon damage and armor DR there. I followed Jefferson back in the black days and im sure happy to see its coming along.

Crichton

Prophet
I tested resistance for physical damage and it worked. I mean, it may have broken since I last checked, but...

I'm quite certain that putting damage reduction on armor doesn't work and hasn't since release (adamantine armor has always seemed cool and always been worthless).

I've heard that physical resistances (like a swordsman's belt) don't work either, and I think that's true too from my experience in the OC. (it might show up in the combat log but still not work if you actually check how many HP you lost, there are a few things that do that).

If you could use your vast influence at Obsidion to get item DR fixed, it would help both of us out since I implemented the Unearthed Arcana "armor as DR" rules in my current mod and then found out they were bugged.

Edit:

Link-

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=581239&forum=109

I can't find anything definitive on damage reduction, I'll test it myself in a minute.

Crichton

Prophet
Nevermind, my bad. If you enable combat debugging, adamantine armor is clearly working. Adamantine sheilds aren't doing shit but that's because someone inputed their item property as "2/" rather than "2/-", the smart money says fix those and all is well in the land.

NWN2_SS_012109_020523-1.jpg

Warden

Arbiter
No, damage REDUCTION works as intended. While damage RESISTANCE for physical damage shows in the log (xy resisted 5 damage) but actually does nothing. It's pretty easy to test and has never worked.
Unfortunately, Obisidian probably just looked at the log and thought "it's in the log thus it works" and therefore this bug hasn't been fixed ever since. It's a known bug that has been reported numerous times.

Just make an item with damage RESISTANCE 20 vs slash/bludg/pierce and go fight a goblin and you'll see your health dropping.

J.E. Sawyer

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Warden said:
No, damage REDUCTION works as intended. While damage RESISTANCE for physical damage shows in the log (xy resisted 5 damage) but actually does nothing. It's pretty easy to test and has never worked.
Unfortunately, Obisidian probably just looked at the log and thought "it's in the log thus it works" and therefore this bug hasn't been fixed ever since. It's a known bug that has been reported numerous times.

Just make an item with damage RESISTANCE 20 vs slash/bludg/pierce and go fight a goblin and you'll see your health dropping.
teh z0r

armor_dr.jpg

Warden

Arbiter
Yes, damage REDUCTION works, while damage RESISTANCE doesn't.
I'm saying this because there are many items in the OC and expansions which give damage resistance to phys. damage and thus are useless. (Like belt of resistance to slashing 5). Which of course, can be worked around by reworking it to damage reduction 5/bludg/piercing.

J.E. Sawyer

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, there's a bunch of crap in the toolset that doesn't work as advertised, unfortunately.

As a game developer, I am deeply troubled by damage resistance not working. As a dude making a mod, it doesn't directly affect me. That said, I'll ask about damage resistance when I go in today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom