Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
Finally bought Wiz 6 and 7 from GoG. I might have time to play Wiz 6 , but I certainly won't have the time to dig into the system during party creation. Is the predefined party ok or horribly bad?
I have bought the GOG version Wizardry 6.
And I am using the predefined party.
Because I am so hardcore. :smug:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Finally bought Wiz 6 and 7 from GoG. I might have time to play Wiz 6 , but I certainly won't have the time to dig into the system during party creation. Is the predefined party ok or horribly bad?
But is it fun? I made my own but I'm still not convinced whether to continue with it...

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
But is it fun? I made my own but I'm still not convinced whether to continue with it...
I do not know yet. I am at the very beginning.

Btw I finished Wiz6 3 times so far.
1. using lots of class changes
2. using 1 class change per character, thief->ninja etc
3. without class change Val-Sam-Alc-Pri-Mag-???=some thief skill Thi/Nin? I cannot remember

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
A long long time ago i remember that i played Wizardry 5 or was it 6? Should I play it again and if yes, should i start from Wiz 6 or start with 7 or 8?

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
5MXLKg7.png

I didn't expect that :roll:

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Now I reached the Isle of the Damned. This game is pure awesomeness, the writing and the atmosphere are so memorable, the combat is good and not so unforgiving. It still feels like a Wizardry game despite of the changes, the "castle walls layout" can be silly sometimes due to locations, but manages to give the old experience of imagine the setting through the game descriptions.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
If he's not at like level 30 then he's not close enough for the end.

I'm Level 14 at most. And I had to change the alchemist to a mage in the River Styx.

I'm inside the Temple of Ramm now, the only problem is the lack of spell points, but resting here is relatively safe.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
relevant for importing to W7 and beyond (this is from places in this thread)

Importing from 6 to 7

* Level is dropped to 5.
* Abilities are dropped, but high scores give a slight benefit.
* HP/MP are cropped to what they'd be at level 5.
* Spells are remembered randomly from those the character knows, but only up to spell level 3 (Fireball and below).
* Carry Capacity is fixed, as is Mana Regeneration
* Skills import as-is, except they are reduced to 1/5th. 20 is the highest you can have in any given skill. If you had Hide in 6 you will have it in 7. Scribe is gone in 7, that means that you need both 100 Scribe and 100 Artifacts in 6 to have 20 Artifacts in 7. If you have 100 Artifacts in 6 and 0 Scribe, you start with 16 Artifacts in 6. If you have 0 Artifacts and 100 Scribe in 6, you start with 4 Artifacts in 7.

ITEMS

Always import: PK Crystal, Fairy Stick, Diamond Ring, Ring of Stars, Cameo Locket, Ankh of Life, all Potions, all minor things (Sparkle Stix and such). Stock up on healing potions.

Super items import 1/each. To make sure your Excalibur is imported, put everything else into the char's swag bag and have him equip only the super item you want. All items should import, even Excalibur. And Excalibur OWNS. So that's 6 guaranteed Super Items.

You get also some of the stuff you'd have if you were just starting out that class, so your imported Samurai might have a Wakizashi, and your Fighter maybe a piece of random armor. You also get a Map Kit.

STARTING LOCATION:

Take ship: Near T'rang base
Fly with Bela: Near Umpani base
Take Forge: Near Dane Tower

Ending has no other consequence, except for different intro movie. Sadly! But still, better than nothing. And we get a lot of nothing these days.

--

From http://www.softwarespecialties.com/wizfaq_wiz7.html
Cheats/Tricks/Tips
Q: What are the rules on how characters transfer from Bane to Guardia
A:
A number of items transfer always, and automatically. They are:
Non-magical weaponry and armor,
Ring of Stars,
Diamond Ring,
Cameo Locket,
Amulet of life,
PK crystal,
Silver Cross,
Ankhs of Life,
Poet's lute,
Angels' Tongue,
Potions,
Sparkle stix, Icicle stix, and their ilk,
Rod of Sprites.

A number of items will never transfer. They are:
Ankhs (other than Ankh of Life),
most amulets,
Musical instruments (other than those listed above.),
Books.

Then there are the powerful magic items -- the super weapons and armor you typically pick up on the Isle of the Dead. Each
character gets to bring ONE of these across (sometimes a character may get two items). If a character "equips" one and only one
item, that will be the one he/she/it gets to bring into DS. Thus, to choose which "special" item your party gets to import, simply equip
only one of these special items per character.

(4) Starting Gold depends on your Bane-ending/DS-beginning. The possibilities are:

take the Forge and start near the Dane tower: 5,000 gp;
fly with Bela and start near Ukpyr: 10,000 gp;
fly with the Savant and start near Nyctalinth: 0 gp;
take none of the Bane endings and fly with Altheides, and you start in the same place as a beginning DS party with 0 gp.

In addition to items your party transfers from Bane, they may "pick up" some basic equipment on their trip -- this is almost always a weapon that the character would start with if he/she/it were a beginning DS character, so a fighter may pick up a long sword, a bard may pick up a sling and bullets, a samurai may pick up a katana. You also pick up a Journey map kit.

Characters lose a bit in class levels, hit points, skill points, spells, spell points, and even attribute points, depending upon the character's level at the time of transfer:

Class Level: No character starts DS above 5th level, no matter how high a level he/she/it achieved in Bane. If the character changed classes shortly before transferring to DS and is only 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th level in the new class at the time of transfer, the character starts DS as a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th level character, respectively. If the character was 5th level or higher at the time of transfer, that character starts DS as a 5th level character. Starting hit points, skill points, and spell points all are linked to the character's starting level. Starting spells and skills do not appear to be linked to the character's starting level.

Attribute Points: At lower levels, characters do not tend to lose any attribute points in the transition to DS. If, however, the character was a world-beating superstar (e.g., 20th+ level, with all 18s (or close to it)), he/she/it WILL lose attribute points in the transfer, even losing points from karma.

Hit Points: Starting hit points are NOT based on starting class, they are based exclusively on starting character level. First level characters tend to have 8-16 hit points, while 5th level characters tend to have around 40. The other levels are in between.

Skills and Skill Points: Characters do not lose skills when they transfer, but they may lose skill points. As long as a character has at least one point in a skill at the end of Bane, he/she/it will have at least one point in that skill after transferring, even if the character is now a member of a class that otherwise does not have access to that skill. Skill points, however, depend upon two factors. First, a character will never start DS with a skill at a higher level than it was is Bane. With that limitation, starting skill level is directly related to starting character level. First level characters will have 1-3 skill points in each skill, while 5th level characters will have around 40 skill points in each skill. The other levels are in between.

(e) Spells and Spell Points: Characters lose a lot of both of these. Spells retained are random, they do NOT appear to be related to the character's starting level. A character will retain most 1st level spells, many 2nd level spells, and some 3rd level spells. No spells above 3rd level are retained. Spell points ARE related to the character's starting level. First level characters have around 10 spell points in each category (provided they had at least that many spell points in the same category prior to transferring), while 5th level characters have around 40. The other levels are in between. (Sensing a pattern, here?)

----

Well the Valkyrie should import the Maenad's Lance because it's ten times better than the Spear of Death.

The Alchemist could import the Cloak of Deflection you get for killing Xorphitus. -4 AC is very, very nice.

And the priest, well, Holy Basher is nice to have at the start of Wiz 6, so I don't really have a good suggestion. Priests and Alchemists can't equip many useful things, sadly. That Cloak of Deflection is a must though, in my opinion. The Avenger is outclassed by Excalibur, but it's a very rare item, so no sweat there.

Please look at these statistics:

Spear of Death:
+1 to Hit
5-9 damage
15% chance for weak poison
2% instant kill

And compare:

Maenad's Lance:
2-24 damage
+3 to hit
+3 iniative
grants hit point regeneration
10% instant kill

You really should use the idetnify spell.

The Shadow Cloak sucks. The Spear of Death sucks. Bring the Maenad's Lance and the Cloak of Deflection.

----
Well, that's true, but why'd you bring the Spear of Death into Wizardry 8 when the Shock Rods you find in 7 use the same skill, can be imported, and do WAY more damage?

Secondly, you -will- need the Maenad's Lance far more since the beginning of Wizardry 7 is more than a little rough, especially if you follow Bela.

You shouldn't worry about Wizardry 8. 8 is easy. Worry about 7; 7 is rape.

Here, think about this:

Would you rather

- Make the beginning of a VERY hard game much easier, and have a fine time in the much easier Wizardry 8

or

- Make the beginning of a VERY hard game harder by not getting Lance, hence making the beginning of 8 - not a hard game - a tiny bit easier?

Knowing full well Shock Rods are better than the Spear of Death anyway, and a guaranteed drop? They even use the same skill!

----

stun rod does 5-12 dmg, +1 initiative, 20% paralyze, 75% drain stamina. Shock Rod is 2-7 dmg, -8 initiative, 50% drain stamina. The rack of T'rang Rods shows 4 shock rods and 1 stun rod. you also have a 5% change of getting a stun rod from the t'rang ultimate loot and a 25% change of a shock rod. Also I don't think you can get the spear of death in 7 like I originally thought. There's no loot listed for it in the cosmic forge editor.

And sadly there's no way to have the T'rang allow you in. You have to force the door or get one of the finger rods.

overly excitable young man

Yeah. Somewhere i read that Apple 2 version is considered slower than the dos one.
But i fail to see it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom