Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Solasta: Crown of the Magister Features Trailer and Previews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Mathieu Girard; Solasta: Crown of the Magister; Tactical Adventures

Since the conclusion of the Solasta: Crown of the Magister Kickstarter campaign back in October, developer Tactical Adventures have continued to publish development updates and community polls on a weekly basis. These have generally been too incremental in nature to post here. Today however Solasta reached a major milestone with the release of a new features trailer that showcases the current state of the game, including character creation, exploration and combat.

Apparently, Tactical Adventures recently gave members of the press a more in-depth look at the build this trailer is based on. Only a few websites (Gamereactor, Screen Rant, Tech-Gaming) have come out with previews, but they're all thrilled with what they saw. Here's an excerpt from Gamereactor's preview:

Once you have assembled your party of four, it's time to start the game up, at which point you will be greeted by a cutscene. This is where Solasta's stories will be told, through fully voiced dialogue, with each character determined by you just prior. A high elf scholar will, for example, speak formally, with grace and confidence.

As each of the four tells their separate stories between chugs of ale, each character will take you through a specific tutorial section. For example, we were shown how to sneak out of prison as the team cleric and while escaping, we also got to see how Solasta utilises verticality and, quite honestly, we were blown away. The game doesn't just let you climb ladders, you'll get to actually traverse as if you were playing an exploration-based platformer but with a classic isometric RPG control scheme. Manipulate your environments, jump across gaps, crawl through holes in the walls, climb foliage - you can essentially do anything, truly. When we tell you that you can manipulate your environments we don't just mean that you can press a button or move a rock. You can destroy entire bridges if you wish to.

The next tutorial we got to see showed off basic combat mechanics (with some cool twists added). In the tutorial scenario, our dwarven fighter was to cross a bridge over a beautiful flowing river (but oh lord, our hero was a bit too high up) but wolves were both on his heels and blocking his path on the other side. The scenario revealed some classic RPG mechanics such as attacks of opportunity (i.e. attacking automatically when an enemy gets too close) and being able to see the turns of each character in the battle at the top of the screen (this is, of course, a tactical advantage).

A cool mechanic that was perfect to show during this tutorial stage was 'shove', a simple move to push enemies back. In this case, however, that shove threw the targeted wolf all the way down into the abyss below. As with all other moves, you won't succeed in everything you do since it's an initiative-based game. As the fighter finally reached the other side of the bridge, the wolves were still following him, prompting our hero to interact with a large rock standing on an elevation and pushing it off and onto the stone foundation of the bridge, causing it to collapse (which was oh so satisfying). Later on during the demo, we learned that the combat also offers plenty of vertical manoeuvres, not just linked to climbing or standing on various elevations but also levitation and flying, which is then cause for deeper strategic thinking. A thing to note, however, is the fact that you won't be controlling a singular character; you created your dynamic quartet and they're your responsibility now, but don't worry, if you learn how to combine their strengths, the characters will synergise perfectly, which is precisely what you want. Keep track of status effects (i.e. buffs and debuffs) and approach your enemies with tactics in mind and you'll do just fine - we hope.

Apart from this, light is a huge focus in Solasta, both in and out of combat as the game features a dynamic day/night cycle. Lighting, no matter if it's natural or conjured, has an impact on what you and your enemies can see, changing gameplay depending on what time of day you reach an area. The lighting doesn't just seem like an interesting and surprisingly deep aspect, it also brings exceptional beauty to the stark and stunning environments, of which there are many (get ready as it looks like we're going to get to explore a massive world in Solasta). In relation to the dynamic day/night cycle, players also need to make sure to rest and eat every 24 hours to keep their team at their best.

For us, Solasta: Crown of the Magister came out of the leftfield and from knowing very little to having seen the game in action, we're truly excited to see where Tactical Adventures takes things. From the intricacy of the real-time dice roll and the in-depth character creation through to the beautiful and manipulatable environments and the consequential use of light, we were hooked straight away. If what's to come continues to build on what we've just seen, we're sure that this is going to be one to watch as it gets closer to a full release.​

The game looks awesome. Hopefully we'll get to see more of this build ourselves.

InternalRevenue

Educated
The sound effects are pretty wimpy, and the limited class selection unfortunate, but otherwise shaping up nicely. :obviously:

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hello 5e my old friend! This just looks better than The Fellowship Saga, the other 5e based game we have seen recently. Reactions are in there, the system is faithfully adapted, their music is decent and the graphics doesnt look like ass. Also from all the gimmicks to have for an isometric party based rpg verticality is a pretty good one. Big incline here.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are so many "classic" (in quotes, because the word is losing its meaning fast) RPGs in development that I am honestly having problems trying to keep up. Obviously not all of them will be good or interesting, but the genre is definitely seeing a resurgence. Good times!

jac8awol

Arbiter
Cautiously optimistic. Verticality looks a bit gimmicky, I hope not every encounter has to have loads of ladders... also feel that camera is not gonna be your friend in this game. But it looks better than I expected, nice.

These guys have taken pains to faithfully adapt 5E rules, then taken it one step further by expanding a few mechanics. The presentation is good, and the levels appear intriguing. This is going to be the new ToEE--hopefully without Homlett. This is going to be a good one. I really hope the word can get out on this game and be financially successful. I feel like it's going to be a gem that stays buried.

Zyondyne

Learned
Excepting the out of place futuristic UI, the game looks (at leasts in the graphics department) like how I expected PoE II to look like (after playing PoE I and before they showed first footage of the sequel)

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Really looking forward to this one. I like what I see in this footage. Hopefully, they can create an interesting world (with great quests) to go along with the solid combat. I also agree with the sentiment that "verticality" shouldn't be used on every encounter because it then becomes an annoying gimmick. Let it make sense within the area/quest/situation not as a developer checklist of, "Oh, we don't have 20 ladders in this encounter. Better get them in!"

Ol'man

Educated
The demo felt accurate, subclasses asides, and that they gave reactions more thought than a stupid stance or passive toggle is really encouraging.

Hoping it stays truthful to the system.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Goddamn, I hate this sleek, functionalist UI in fantasy games like this. It's like a modern, steel-surface fridge in a picturesque medieval pub. No taste at all.

The devs forgot they're not at Amplitude anymore and this is not Endless Space 3.

Dr Schultz

Augur
I don't understand the general diffidence toward verticality.

As far as I'm concerned, a good combat system needs: 1) deep rules 2) diverse enemies 3) interesting goals 4) an impactful map design.

Usually verticality greatly enanches point 4. Squad tactic games centered on firearms and Tactical JRPGs have proved it time again

Curratum

I want to apologize in advance in case the developer reads those forums and posts here, I have no idea but...

This looks disgustingly generic and bland in the art department. I cannot be bothered with how great your systems and / or combat may be if your 2020 game looks like you just bought a bunch of stock assets on the Unity store for everything, from the terrain to the generic crates and wooden railings, and slapped them into a commercial game.

It's like there was either no art director or if there was one, he was striving for the most nondescript, bland and forgettable locations and backdrops for EVERYTHING.

Jinn

Arcane
Goddamn, I hate this sleek, functionalist UI in fantasy games like this. It's like a modern, steel-surface fridge in a picturesque medieval pub. No taste at all.

Yep, it really has no place in the overall aesthetic. Very reminiscent of Endless Legend's UI, but at least with that there were some underlying sci-fi elements to justify such a sleek minimalist design.

Besides that, looking forward to the game!

MrMarbles

Cipher

The devs forgot they're not at Amplitude anymore and this is not Endless Space 3.

Amen, I don't understand why devs don't just use something like the gothic/organic style of the BG series. That shit works wonders. It's like they're on autopilot, and just resort to standard shiny assets and buttons.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
where is my UI A E S T H E T H I C S ???

It all went into...

A53FABEA-ED73-4008-AA1D-2DADD1E8706B.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom