Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
'The cumulative sales volume of the series has exceeded 27 million. It's a great honor for many people to play. We are developing a new title so that everyone can enjoy it again, so I hope you can expect it.'
I certainly expect it, Mr. Fromsoftware. I would be a bit disappointed with a 'DS 4', though.
They mean on Elden ring with new title, not DS4, probably. Still I would like DS4 after Elden ring.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
'The cumulative sales volume of the series has exceeded 27 million. It's a great honor for many people to play. We are developing a new title so that everyone can enjoy it again, so I hope you can expect it.'

I certainly expect it, Mr. Fromsoftware. I would be a bit disappointed with a 'DS 4', though.

That's insane but not unexpected: Dark Souls is always in the top twitch categories.

They mean on Elden ring with new title, not DS4, probably. Still I would like DS4 after Elden ring.

It would be sad for the franchise to end with DaS3.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Goddamnit, I'm such an idiot sometimes. Since it's easy to have a +10 weapon at the end of Sen's I thought I'd get cursed (I hate the transient thingies) and run for the New Londo ember. But I totally forgot that at that point I wouldn't have access to the Firelink bonfire. Uh, gotta make do with Andre's, I guess

Silva

Arcane
i wouldnt mind a proper sequel to dark souls. i mean DS 2 is something of its own kind and ds3 is more fan service than anything.
They should do something modern. Dark horror modern stuff. Maybe Nocturne adjacent or something.

Edit: complementing the idea... what if they buildup on Sekiro's combat system, opening it up for a myriad styles and weapons? Keep posture in place, bring back stamina, replace the super dodge for something more grounded, etc.

Make it a Nocturne/Fist of North Star-ish setting where firearms are rare and society devolved into melee weapons and voila.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
No way, From proved they're better at new IPs than with sequels. I would prefer they continue the dark fantasy vibe but applied to new ideas.

A DS4 could prove to be interesting since From wouldn't be contractually bound to deliver a bunch of sequels in rapid succession, could approach with fresher ideas and take their time with it. Problem is that Bandai owns the Dark Souls IP.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
i wouldnt mind a proper sequel to dark souls. i mean DS 2 is something of its own kind and ds3 is more fan service than anything.
They should do something modern. Dark horror modern stuff. Maybe Nocturne adjacent or something.

Edit: complementing the idea... what if they buildup on Sekiro's combat system, opening it up for a myriad styles and weapons? Keep posture in place, bring back stamina, replace the super dodge for something more grounded, etc.

Make it a Nocturne/Fist of North Star-ish setting where firearms are rare and society devolved into melee weapons and voila.
aside the horror theme, you description remind me of Nioh

Latelistener

Arcane
I got to Anor Londo and I'm a bit curious as to why they used the cutscene to get you to the city instead of actually allowing you to go there by yourself.

It's disappointing that the Iron Golem was just standing there guarding the sealed archway. Up to this point the world felt interconnected.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I got to Anor Londo and I'm a bit curious as to why they used the cutscene to get you to the city instead of actually allowing you to go there by yourself.

It's disappointing that the Iron Golem was just standing there guarding the sealed archway. Up to this point the world felt interconnected.
Probably PS3/XBOX era of limitation. PS5 will allow this to happen.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Where my 4-directional rolling defenders at?

Mostly kidding, I probably just like 4-way rolling because I played DS1 with M+KB and often fight with an unlocked camera so I'm used to that style. I get why people would want true omnidirectional rolling, but I actually feel less precise with it on gamepad, since I'm shaky managing camera control and roll direction together on sticks. DS2's weird 8-way movement in general was actually the ideal middle ground for me when I played it on gamepad.

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
As a pve-only player, I never even noticed the 4 vs 8 way rolling until other people pointed it out. Typically, once you get comfortable with timing dodges, you tend to roll into enemy attacks and direction doesn't matter that much.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I think they wanted to make you feel you were "ascending" to a place that existed "above" the regular world of Dark Souls. Much like the further down you go the more "infernal" the setting seems to get.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I've often wondered about that too. From the look of the large, blocked archway after the Iron Golem, and the seemingly haphazard placement of the teleportation halo, I'd guess that they originally wanted to make a connecting area that would lead up to Anor Londo, in order to have the whole game world be truly continuous, but realized that it would take too much time and/or they simply couldn't think of how to logically connect the two areas, so they threw in the gargoyle cutscene as a solution.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom