Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Age of Wonders 1 PBEM - Let's Play

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Over the past four months I made another multiplayer-suitable map for the original Age of Wonders.
The map is called ''Desolate Maugogom'', and is downloadable here: http://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=1221
Now a PBEM has begun on it with four fine folk from GoG.com, so why not make a let's play of it for the prestigious Codex? Fortunately I have a track record of losing on maps which I made, so it's not as incestuous as you might think.

Map Lore:
In the world of Khatovar, the Necromancers have won. They have set the forces of annihilation gnawing at the bones of the world. A pall of dust and smoke taints the sun's glow. The wind carries an acid stench which eats at the lungs. Riverbeds lie dry, and the forests have perished. The seas carry an oily sheen that catches alight in storms. The stars have vanished from the sky. Above can be heard only the roar of sandstorms and the flapping of demon wings.

You and the other four Sorcerer-Kings are the only noteworthy mortals left alive, along with your slaves, apprentices and warriors, huddled in the caves. If the other great Sorcerers had not been too arrogant to obey your counsel, the world would not have been doomed. Only your sorcery protects your followers from the probing claws of decay. But even these five great wizard-kings can only preserve, not restore, for in a damned world, the magics of life and restoration are lost.

The Highmen abandoned this world long since, departing in one of their star-chariots. The Elves sealed themselves inside hidden Evermore, slipping into a drowsy twilight from which they shall never wake. The Humans, Lizardmen, Frostlings, and Halflings have been eradicated completely. Of the five bands which have survived this far, three are drawn from the races long immured in the ways of evil and decay: the Orcs, Goblins, and Dark Elves. The other two are a dwarven clan which has burrowed deep to escape the winds of vitriol, and an Azrac tribe which has always lived in the most inhospitable deserts.

There is no hope, but there is still anger and the will to fight. As the world decays, its magic does likewise. Only the magic of the Cosmos remains unchanged. None of the spells you once knew function. Your skill remains, but you will need to find new incantations which can function in a world permeated in Death.

Since their victory, the Necromancers have become complacent. Their forces cannot be defeated on the open field, but you have plans to raid the Necromancers’ Cave of Lore. The Cave can be accessed via teleporters from the caves underneath this region, the Valleys of Maugogom. However, the trip is one-way. You must send your subordinates, and access the knowledge held there by reading their minds from afar.

The other four Sorcerer-Kings must have similar intentions. Their arrogance doomed the world just as surely as the malice of the Necromancers, and if the world is to fall, it is you, not they, who should be the last to perish.

But there is another possibility. When the Highmen departed from Khatovar, their magic prevented scrying, and hid the manner of their departure. Rumour has it, the devices they used to flee to the stars were buried deep in this same region. If so, you must be the first to find and use those devices. With the Highmen gone, you should be able to discern their location once you find a good scrying pool. The Highmen would not be pleased to have their realms trespassed upon, but that is a problem to be addressed when you come to it.

Another point to note in the Valleys of Maugogom are the wraith-haunted ruins of underground towns, fed by large-scale mushroom farms. When the Necromancers and their Empire had not yet gained the full power of Death, they hid in these underground redoubts from the meteors summoned by the Sorcerer-Kings against them, and from the killing light the Highmen distilled from the stars. These ruins hold little of interest to you, but your followers can make much use of them. The time for armies is not yet done.

rIv7Cno.png

The LP starts on Day 2, but you didn't miss much on Day 1 - in which my Giant Moles - I am Pashinyan, the Wizard-King of the Dwarves - finally dug the last of a tunnel to the Valleys of Maugogom. Maugogom is the land where the Necromancers first came to rule the world, which they are now grinding to dust.
This is the first track the map is set to play.
Kwp1AQA.png

Besides my leader, I also have four mages travelling on foot - a powerful researching force.
However, as the world decays in the grasp of Necromancy, so does its magic. Only the spells of Cosmos remain unaltered and can be researched. To cast any other spells, we must reach the Cave of Lore, but even there we will find no magic of life or restoration, for those have fully vanished from this world.

Enchanted Weapon will be very useful against the Wraiths that have taken up residence in ruined cities, for they are immune to mundane weapons. The next spell I'll research will be Warp Party - but that's a dangerous one to use as it can land you almost anywhere.
lA8NMoi.png

Coming from the north, we finally break into an inhabited area of the caves. First, let's take a look in that scrying pool.
yNJPjuq.png

Through it we see four other scrying pools, all near (as is ours) a one-way teleporter to the Caves of Lore. It looks like the Dark Elves got here by a subterranean river, and have already set about rebuilding two towns.
The Wizard-King of the Dark Elves is one of the four surviving Wizard-Kings who arrogantly ignored my advice while the Necromancers were gaining in power. The other three rule over tribes of Orcs, Goblins, and Azracs. The other scrying pools haven't yet been reached, and only empty tunnels can be seen for now.
13CpRba.png

It would seem the Dark Elves have already sent down an agent to the Caves of Lore. I shall have to send stronger forces of my own to contest this.... or I could wait for others to deal with it first.

The Cave of Lore has six branches.
6VLVoQF.png

We take out the guards of that little Azrac outpost, using the Giant Mole to bust down the walls and remembering to cast Enchanted Weapons on him.
qNNteQN.png

The we do some more scouting and end our turn. Looks like there are some more Azracs in this area, and I can see the dolmens of a teleporter poking out to the south.
PxjhGC3.png

Incidentally, I found this nice dagger on the first turn, which helped me score some kills. Need more than that to level up, though.
vrxuoGr.png

o5Xxaa6.png

Day 3. Got indecisive, and moved my moles around in a rather inefficient way. However, we've still cleared the Wraith off that city ruin - any Axeman with enchanted weapons can do it - and started rebuilding the city. However, it looks like our teleporter is ruined. We might be a long way behind the Dark Elves in reaching the Cave of Lore.

bgIfhPq.png
2K2nU1B.png

The Orc player complains that he squandered one of his Rebuilders on a shipyard before seeing the bridge and shipyard beyond. My finances stand at 472, losing 114 a turn, so for someone in his predicament, with a less compact starting area, he might go bankrupt... Oops. The map will need some rebalancing. The Azracs have also come into view. Their Sandworms have the ability to burrow.

Okay, the Azrac player actually died on turn 4, which has given me a great excuse to restart the game having readjusted starts to be less gold-starved. Whoops.
Anyhow, I'll recontinue this LP in a week or so, whenever the restarted PBEM gets to Day 4.

10R6u8d.png

Hoo boy, this time around, with a mild map rework, the Azracs are first to the Cave of Lore. And they have, rather questionably brought their leader down personally.
The only way out of the Cave of Lore is casting Warp Party, so he might be in a very dangerous situation.

Day 4. We have reached the surface, set about rebuilding a town in the caves, and sent a party to the Cave of Lore. Luckily, the first surface settlement we reach are dwarves, who join us for some supplies and food.
eps8tcE.png
t3yavVW.png

The Azracs are nowhere to be seen. I think they went the opposite side from my guys, though. I'm heading to the segment with summoning spells. As for the other three players, it looks like the Orcs aren't ready to send a force just yet - they sent a swordsman I had to kill to pass through. The Goblins aren't interested just now, and the Dark Elves have a very large force near the teleporter down. Think they shouldn#t be able to catch up to mine and kill it though.
e4MQ6Zh.png
Nyk6579.png
6YblHhn.png

Day 5
Unfortunately, the Dark Elves managed to get into the Cave of Lore quicker by burrowing a more convenient tunnel. Should've realised that possibility.
They have destroyed my party there, but hopefully the large number of troops they have sent will damage their ability to expand their kingdom in the caves and overland.
MuUBEFZ.png
L9YLVSA.png

tZSKf7b.png
Meanwhile, I take another Azrac town and explore some more. Not having spells other than Enchant Weapon is definitely annoying, though.
GeNRJc9.png
pzVlQ1W.png
Di5mfNU.png

Day 6. Just minor expansion today - but it was nice to have our Sorcerer-King brave the killing Gaze of a Beholder, while two priests fired magic bolts from behind him. Now we have multiple Azrac cities and will be training a lot of elephants.
The Dark Elves have a very strong presence in the Cave of Lore, and will have access to all sorts of spells. They even have a Free Movement enchanted boat, while can sail on land as on sea. I can't challenge them now, but will seek to do in future.
4UFw0p5.png
OIggL27.png
DWXdLpB.png

I wasn't going to post anything for an uneventful Day 7, but on GoG another player (the Dark Elf) said this:
Our task force in the caves reaches the last known position of the azrac leader to find nothing but a puff of smoke still reading BAMF in the air, and... A summoned frog, probably to mock us showing off all the spells that he knows.
So, apparently the Azrac leader managed to escape from the Cave of Lore. Possibly with Warp Party.
rwoKYFp.png

We've rebuilt and conquered some more towns in the starting area.
bLTkwuY.png
Looks like the Cave of Lore is being contested by multiple partes, though the Dark Elves are dominant with their free-moving warship.
H6lkKtS.png
We've explored the overworld some more, but six undead swordsmen have appeared from the Altar of Death.
0rM18kJ.png
Also, we got confirmation that the Azracs used Warp Party to escape - though they had to cast it twice -
Speaking of doom stacks and warp party, I ended up with my leader and two casters down the tier III at north east path. I see DE rolling up with a FM DS and army. A few summoned spiders in my army? Yikes, I'm outta' here. I cast warp party and appeared a hex away from a Dark Elf FM galleon on the next level. Luckily the next cast was okay!

Uh... so all but one other player has died.
QyAWVMB.png
iJVK3qj.png
GfEbBc9.png
I might post another let's play in future, but it looks like the map is a weeny little bit too hard in its current state.

J7nPDgH.png
Hmm... Turn 24, and the Undead Reapers are beginning to pour forth from the Death Altars in these lands. The necromancers must know we're here!

Going to keep playing this match - only it's become a 1v1 between me and the Dark Elf player, what with the other three players dying.
gKS2G2X.png
Picked up some really good loot and might be able to take on Reapers in person soon.

Well, the Undead Reaper Horde isn't stopping. I really overdid it with these guys....
vbXZAIY.png
w4sM32Z.png
Sadly, didn't have money to wall all my cities in time - plus, the Doom Horrors can destroy walls for the Reapers anyway.
dNL4yY6.png
My leader returns from his surface wanderings to try to save his flock - but he might be about to get crushed too.
4YTwcFn.png

I am surprised by a party of Undead - but slay them all! In the caves, my apprentices use water magic to hide in pools of water, while my mundane followers hide behind the walls of the surviving camps.
j1N1IMT.png
F8WTcHe.png

I gave up on this when I saw that the other remaining player had half the map while I was running around having cities get razed :p
Nonetheless I have reworked the map, so might post another LP later this year. Or on a different map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom