Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Olinser

Savant
"Healing effects now display their total healing (for active abilities) or their healing per second (for constant passives)"

Jesus it's about fucking TIME. It's actually ludicrous that it took this long. Now you can see how worthless some of the battle-wide 'healing' effects are, that aren't even enough for a single model in a trash infantry unit.

Now they need to add actually useful data and the relative armor piercing value against it. It's so goddamn stupid to cast spells that supposedly do 'moderate' damage and don't actually even move the HP bar of the unit they hit.

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before… You’ve recruited a fresh-faced group of Chameleon Skinks to support your Saurus push. The lines clash and the Skinks start volleying the enemy, then you realise you’ve poisoned your own troops… again!

Poison and other contact effects on ranged weapons have long been a double-edged sword. Friendly fire meant you could poison your own troops just as readily as the enemy’s, leaving you with a zero-sum result. With this update friendly fire will still cause damage, but will never inflict debilitating contact effects on your own units. This also applies to vortices, bombardments and other sources of friendly fire debilitation… all except for Poisoned Wind. Because Skaven!

Fucking finally. For those who don't know, poison affects the whole unit if it hits even a single model. Meaning poison ranged attacks were almost entirely pointless to fire into melee.

• Vortex spells damage calculation no longer uses missile damage defense from target

That's an interesting bug.

Splash Damage Calculation Fixes
We’ve addressed two important bugs with our Splash Damage system relating to how damage is calculated.

• The first bug was that during a single attack animation, if there were multiple splash attack zones, an entity could be damaged twice. This was unintentional and a single entity should only be able to take damage once from a single attack animation. This has now been fixed and entities that are damaged during an attack animation are immune to any other damage from that same attack.
  • The second bug was that attack animations with multiple splash attack zones would do multiplicative damage in correlation with the number of splash zones. So a unit which deals 100 damage but has 2 splash zones could deal up to 200 damage (100 for each zone). This has now been altered in order to mitigate the extra damage provided from additional splash zones. Each subsequent splash zone now has diminishing returns by dealing less damage than the previous one (but only if the previous zone did damage to an entity).

Not sure how this will work. Splash damage receiving a big nerf? Melee unit splash damage receiving a big nerf?

Certain stackable campaign effects (notably Administrator and Entrepeneur) have had their effects reduced,

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You think that's bad

Ravenous expansion skill for Skaven: Reduced factionwide settlement income from 20%/40% -> 2%/4%

Just a casual 90% nerf to Skaven money-making cheese.

"Healing effects now display their total healing (for active abilities) or their healing per second (for constant passives)"

Jesus it's about fucking TIME. It's actually ludicrous that it took this long. Now you can see how worthless some of the battle-wide 'healing' effects are, that aren't even enough for a single model in a trash infantry unit.

Now they need to add actually useful data and the relative armor piercing value against it. It's so goddamn stupid to cast spells that supposedly do 'moderate' damage and don't actually even move the HP bar of the unit they hit.

To be fair to them I think terms like "Moderate" or "Heavy" damage do actually have a fairly precise range rather than being thrown around haphazardly. The issue is that its almost always because you're using a spell that only does Moderate damage against something with armor. Anything even decently armored (>40 or so) basically shurgs off non-armor ignoring damage. And the problem with giving precise values for damage spells is that there's like a dozen different things that go into spells like their AoE, how often they proc, multiple separate damage types, and so on.

Giving hard numbers is of course good. There was absolutely no reason not to do so for healing since the mechanics are quite straightforward.

Last edited:

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You could do almost the same with just cav. Just take a regiment or two to an unguarded gate to bash it down while everyone else chills in some tower blind spot, then pour them in and head for the victory square to make the AI turn stupid and abandon the walls en masse. Trample until desired effect is achieved.

Bretonia is one of the factions I havnt played yet, so I might give this a try. But in my experience, the ai is pretty good at placing pikes behind the doors, maybe its a Dwarf thing that it works so well for you.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
You could do almost the same with just cav. Just take a regiment or two to an unguarded gate to bash it down while everyone else chills in some tower blind spot, then pour them in and head for the victory square to make the AI turn stupid and abandon the walls en masse. Trample until desired effect is achieved.

Bretonia is one of the factions I havnt played yet, so I might give this a try. But in my experience, the ai is pretty good at placing pikes behind the doors, maybe its a Dwarf thing that it works so well for you.
Really? Since its last update Bretonnia is incredible imo. I think it is one of the best TW1 factions for a campaign, just remember that each lord and hero has a vow you need to manually select.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Yeah well, the french kills me tbh
I can understand that, but the gameplay more than makes up for it imo. You have a variety of ways to play Bretonnia, whether that be cavalry centric, peasant dakka builds, hero spam, and/or magic spam. The power of the faction scales with your progress in terms of chivalry bonuses and uniting Bretonnia (more armories). You can spam steal technology with damsels to access important tech options early.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
But in my experience, the ai is pretty good at placing pikes behind the doors

That's why you pick an unoccupied door :D

maybe its a Dwarf thing that it works so well for you.

d0rfs are actually rough because almost all of their infantry units have charge defence against large

Yeah well, the french kills me tbh

SLAY THE UNCHIVALROUS FOOOOOOOOOLS

A horse of course

When does the patch hit? I quickly cranked out a Repanse campaign, which was surprisingly easy compared to a lot of DLC/FLC start pos. Was trying to go for the Chiv victory but accidently got Domination via allies instead.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Promising DLC
EYeEBnqXgAEXIDw

Olinser

Savant
When does the patch hit? I quickly cranked out a Repanse campaign, which was surprisingly easy compared to a lot of DLC/FLC start pos. Was trying to go for the Chiv victory but accidently got Domination via allies instead.

21st was the target date.

Drakron

Arcane
he finally sold out.
CA been giving EA to a lot of people, I suppose it was because he reviewed the game some weeks ago or so.
Besides from his review he really liked the game, sure some factions suck like Chaos because they need to address Horde basic mechanics and WH1 factions have issues even if they fixed Greenskins there is still Chaos, Beastman and Wood Elves that need to have look as well some campaign victory objectives that need to be changed, take Skaven "maintain 50% corruption" that players that are smart instead of expanding will just take the provinces they need to win and turtle in because imagine taking a tier I settlement and then wait like 20 turns just to grow Skaven corruption.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
CA really needs to learn how to design campaign goals. Im currently on my first full attempt at finishing a Three Kingdoms campaign and it takes foreeeeeeeever, partially because the faction capitals I need to take are literally as far away from my lands as possible. :argh:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I have played this game for years and had zero clue elevation did this much:https://forums.totalwar.com/discuss...-do-high-ground-buffs-and-uphill-penalties-do
To give you the short version of the various effects of elevation.

entities speed up when running downhill, and slow down when running uphill. This is relative to how steep the slope is.

melee entities that are attacking downhill deal up to 30% more damage depending on the difference between them and their target. (max effect at 1m height difference.)

Ranged entities that are firing missiles down onto the enemy deal up to 30% more damage depending on the difference between them and their target (max effect at 40m height difference.)

Both these bonuses also work the opposite way, so an entity gaining 30% more damage attacking downhill is also taking 30% less damage from the target if it attacks back. This is one reason that having archers on the walls is quite powerful, as they both deal more damage and take less when engaging other ranged units that are down on the ground.

Units moving up slopes also take a penalty to their fatigue gain rate, up to 150% more fatigue gained per tick depending on the steepness of the slope.

Units with the new strider effect will not be penalized for any uphill actions. They will deal normal damage attacking uphill while still benefiting from downhill bonuses.

Note that all these effects are calculated at the ENTITY level. And is relative to individual men in the unit. This means some men in a unit can be uphill and some can be downhill of whatever target they are attacking. But as a rule of thumb, downhill is your friend.

This goes double for cavalry, since speed is an important factor in charge impacts.

A horse of course

I get triggered reading about elevation after the Medieval 2 glitch that prevented melee units on high ground from striking those below them. It's scary how a single crippling bug can creep into games of this complexity without anyone noticing.

Yeah, elevation is pretty good. It's one of the ways to help beat enemy melee straight up on harder difficulties.

I remember the good old days of yari ashigaru spearwalls uphill of charging samurai in Shogun 2. Spoiler: Its an infinite meat grinder. I won so many MP games and ruined so many drop-in campaigns with this. And then there was long yari ashigaru...

I get triggered reading about elevation after the Medieval 2 glitch that prevented melee units on high ground from striking those below them. It's scary how a single crippling bug can creep into games of this complexity without anyone noticing.
To be fair Medieval 2 is all about cav flanking anyway, Infantry doesn't even need to attack.

A horse of course

The Warden Imprisonment thing is triggering my autism. I feel like I need to fight pretty much every battle manually to make sure I capture and interrogate/execute every single Lord for the bonus xp/quest resources. Being a timed battlefield ability sucks though.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
There are people in the TW community much more deserving of a nod.

The further improved turn times are insane though, gotta give them that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom