Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
They give you small bonuses nothing big really but wings are +1 Dex. Of course they are also not degenerate options there like ATOM (+5 to automatic weapons) and Mama (+5 to hand to hand) fit for true Soviet Step warrior. :majordecline:

is it true that later on you'd absolutely need speechraft of 100+ to progress the story (Dead City area)?
It's a false assumption, based on
not doing mushroom questline and stumbling on their squad in the DC. In that case, only high speech check allows to proceed peacefully

I'm actually at one of those points now. Naturally, no speechcraft. And as that lone melee brute. It's either back to grinding some more or something else, perhaps getting a couple of companions just for that
fight
. Could work, couldn't it? :D *fabulouslyoptimistic*

Btw, dodging seems woefully undercooked in comparison to just getting the biggest armor you can get. It seems much easier to do it all with that heavy dodge penalty from wearing heavy armor, as opposed to not having any real DR.

jackofshadows

Magister
I'm actually at one of those points now. Naturally, no speechcraft. And as that lone melee brute. It's either back to grinding some more or something else, perhaps getting a couple of companions just for that
It's kinda tough but doable with
just a bunch of grenades and on drugs, plus all END buffs naturally. Did it today this way on 20 lvl with 0 defensive perks (before respec), pistols but with top armor/helmet and bzt-75 though
Btw, dodging seems woefully undercooked in comparison to just getting the biggest armor you can get. It seems much easier to do it all with that heavy dodge penalty from wearing heavy armor, as opposed to not having any real DR.
I agree, DR/DT is more important but dodge lowers crit chance receiving, at least to some degree which is worth something.

It's kinda tough but doable with
just a bunch of grenades and on drugs, plus all END buffs naturally. Did it today this way on 20 lvl with 0 defensive perks (before respec), pistols but with top armor/helmet and bzt-75 though

I've found another way in finishing the piglet quest. Not sure if I had missed it before, but there was still a dialogue option… That means I'm
on a mission of the Cult myself, so the guys won't attack me.
Don't think I'd be able to kill them now anyways alone in melee (level 15 to boot).

Sykar

Arcane
I've just finished sniper/SMG run. Well, mostly it was just a pistols/SMG/knuckles run since I
abused the shit out of oblivion potion and used it only on 21 level before the very end
I'd like to go full melee here but problem is - wanna some dedicated perks for it as well as devensive ones which is impossible. I hope there will be plenty of encounters in Trudograd with much relaxed perk tree so it would be possible to realize my desire there.
hKOU8AB.png

There's a lot of drugs so base line (bonus points from traits included) is 7(more for import purpose since there'll be no training bonus anymore probably) 6 10 8 7 1 (don't care much about dialogues in a TG) 10 and defensive perks root (praetorian, master shield etc)

Hoe 4 Life?
:hero:

jackofshadows

Magister
Sykar yup, since I dumped cha, why not to expect some extra-wackiness from time to time? Hope that devs will not forget about it in the expansion.

If one day the devs would like to move away from being so scarily close to Fallout-vibes, then Dead City may be the way to go. That section is brief, but it's basically Stalker RPG.

That said: DUDE, that last group Encounter. Always fun if enemies can one-shot you; plus if there's several of those. As a lone melee only brute, you're pretty much screwed. For fun I even tried what would happen if I would cheat and give my char like 250-300 HP, same outcome. I know there's ways by now, but honestly, most of them sound like cheesing the game / its AI. I had tried to lure them one after one into one of the rooms already myself, for instance, as in the open you don't stand a chance anyhow. My char has the "quick reaction" skill too, so basically gets two rounds in one (one with 50% of the AP).

Also, what is that Strength skill check for (have it maxed out) if you end up fighting anyways?

Game mostly wasn't hard, it's just some isolated encounters, the
robot
if you're playing solo melee like me being another. If he gets to fire, you're screwed, so you have to crush him before he can. But he's alone… those guys aren't. :salute:

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
That said: DUDE, that last group Encounter. Always fun if enemies can one-shot you;
This encounter basically is next to impossible w/o perk 'thinking like the enemy'. With it though it becomes ridiculously easy: opponents simply run out of ammo after a few rounds, surround you and starting to kick desperately while you're executing them.

Monolith

Prophet
I got it recently and was totally put off by the atrocious writing. Unnecessarily verbous and very much Russian English.

Does it get better further into the game? I felt a slight Fallout itch but couldn't keep myself focused on it for too long.

GloomFrost

Arcane
I got it recently and was totally put off by the atrocious writing. Unnecessarily verbous and very much Russian English.

Does it get better further into the game? I felt a slight Fallout itch but couldn't keep myself focused on it for too long.
The writing is not going to get much better. If it really puts you off that much you might as well drop it now. But they did make it a bit better in Trudograd so you might want to check it out.

Monolith

Prophet
Damn. Working with Russians on a daily basis, getting bombed by E-Mails with the same style all day long, I cannot take more of it in my time off.

I wanted to learn Russian though, so perhaps that's a good opportunity. Worked for Polish and Witcher 1, although I had a strong basis there already.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Damn. Working with Russians on a daily basis, getting bombed by E-Mails with the same style all day long, I cannot take more of it in my time off.

I wanted to learn Russian though, so perhaps that's a good opportunity. Worked for Polish and Witcher 1, although I had a strong basis there already.
Russian is a great language to learn. Just don't expect much stuff to transfer from Polish, some of the similarities are deceiving.
During my teenage years, the circumstances forced me to learn it, initially hated it, but then started to really love it. One tiny little bit of unsolicited advice: don't throw yourself into reading the great works of Russian literature while you're learning, most of them are super fucking long and not that good from modern perspective. One exception is short stories by Chekhov, read those. And there's some really nice sci-fi in Russian, including a super old, bit commie Aelita. Also, tons of interesting Fallout mods (Nevada, Sonora, Olympus) that are way better in Russian than English.

jackofshadows

Magister
I wanted to learn Russian though, so perhaps that's a good opportunity.
Problem is it's even worse on Russian in my opinion so don't get your hopes up regarding ATOM. But you can play the game differently and skip most of dialogue, focus on MQ and get XP by killing random bandits and getting gear in Peregon, there're always caravan traders, you can just wait and they'll refresh over and over.

track02

Novice
I've started again after making a few failed builds months (years?) ago when the game was initially released
Trying martial arts, and I've gone for the perks/talents that let you wear heavy armour first (mean to pick up the shield one next) and this is great since I don't get instantly one-shotted but my damage is suffering against the now more common armoured enemies even with maxed MA

Have I goofed again? I feel like it'll be ages before I can even make a dent towards getting some of the damage focused melee talents

track02

Novice
Don't go unarmed. Use martial weapons. The 2nd best one is craftable pretty early.
I'd completely forgot about those, will give them a look.
I was thinking you were meant to use the combos you unlock at certain MA thresholds like dragon kick, so what are they even for?

I'm in the forest/mountains and it's getting ridiculous fighting like 6-7 forest pirates at a time. I'm tanky enough to last a few rounds but it gets really close before they all die

Monolith

Prophet
Russian is a great language to learn. Just don't expect much stuff to transfer from Polish, some of the similarities are deceiving.
During my teenage years, the circumstances forced me to learn it, initially hated it, but then started to really love it. One tiny little bit of unsolicited advice: don't throw yourself into reading the great works of Russian literature while you're learning, most of them are super fucking long and not that good from modern perspective. One exception is short stories by Chekhov, read those. And there's some really nice sci-fi in Russian, including a super old, bit commie Aelita. Also, tons of interesting Fallout mods (Nevada, Sonora, Olympus) that are way better in Russian than English.
Yea, I figured out that much during my last trip to St. Pete. Polish was not much use. And gotta watch out for those karaoke bars. Either way, short stories by Chekhov sound like a more worthwhile motivation than ATOM. Read some russian sci-fi, although a Polish translation. Need to check the name of the author, but liked it a lot.

Problem is it's even worse on Russian in my opinion so don't get your hopes up regarding ATOM. But you can play the game differently and skip most of dialogue, focus on MQ and get XP by killing random bandits and getting gear in Peregon, there're always caravan traders, you can just wait and they'll refresh over and over.
So, is the MQ good enough to suffer through that? Doesn't really sound that engaging.

jackofshadows

Magister
So, is the MQ good enough to suffer through that? Doesn't really sound that engaging.
MQ is not get complicated. It's very Fallout-like (ahem), you just need some gear and skills, that's all. Approach might be different but you don't have to suffer through walls of text, I assure you. However, if the idea of exploration is not attractive enough or you absolutely detest farming some amount of bandits then I think you can just forget about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom