Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Sentinel

Arcane
For some reason I have this idea that Avellone is a fan of jRPGs. Has he ever mentioned his favorites? I have this idea about him mentioning FFIX and Chrono Trigger as his favorite games of the genre but I can't find anything about it.

Ninjerk

Arcane
For some reason I have this idea that Avellone is a fan of jRPGs. Has he ever mentioned his favorites? I have this idea about him mentioning FFIX and Chrono Trigger as his favorite games of the genre but I can't find anything about it.
I think he usually mentions Chrono Trigger (gushes about it, to be honest) when he talks about PST influences.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I feel like a lot of writers/designers of his era cite Chrono Trigger. Didn't Warren Spector and Harvey Smith also frequently bring it up as one of their influences?

Ninjerk

Arcane
I feel like a lot of writers/designers of his era cite Chrono Trigger. Didn't Warren Spector and Harvey Smith also frequently bring it up as one of their influences?
I can't say with confidence whether they did or didn't, but I don't recall associating CT with either of them and I went through a period of deep, deep research on both figures (mostly to try to figure out how they went so wrong with DXIW). My hunch is that CT's influence was not quite as strong as with Avellone.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I can't say with confidence whether they did or didn't, but I don't recall associating CT with either of them and I went through a period of deep, deep research on both figures (mostly to try to figure out how they went so wrong with DXIW). My hunch is that CT's influence was not quite as strong as with Avellone.
I suspect I'm conflating Tom Hall's comments (he did cite CT as an inspiration) when working on Anachronox with Warren/Harvey because they were all at Ion Storm at the time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1263300219371843584

Me: …wait, so in the game, why does my character have to do this task for this complete dipshit? Writer: Because he’s got too many robot bodyguards for you to do anything but agree Me: Have you ever played a videogame before in your life

The "lesson": If you have to (and hopefully you don’t), please employ convincing narrative blockers

Which game is he talking about here?

Quillon

Arcane
Publicly shame who? There are thousands of games that does that, either he's talking from actual experience or just making a point.

Quillon

Arcane
just name 1 thousand with robot bodyguards in situation like that

If we assume that convo is real then we accept he's talking from actual experience and "publicly shaming" some specific unknown person. But he could've just made that convo up to make his point.

Last edited:

Funposter

Arcane
she seems interested in recipes of a different kind
buck.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom