Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
i'm getting psychic readings from a parallel universe where we chose to play the scholar, and then avoided books and went outside to hunt at every opportunity

:philosoraptor:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The issue is he immediately read our body language right when we stepped back. So I figured that putting a pebble into the slingshot would've been pretty obvious to him and with our choice of weapon being as weak as it was, the only thing we'd achieve is antagonize him.
Which is precisely what telling him no did anyway.

By the time we realized that we needed to run, it was too late.
mentioned shortly before votes closed that the issue I had with C was that I didn't see it achieving any special surprise round shit and the only difference between C and B in my view was that with C we piss him off and with B we have a chance of him not getting angry.
His emotional state irrelevant. Only his intent.

He was already making a hostile move with the mist. As soon as words failed, an openly hostile move was inevitable.

The only difference between telling him no and and shooting him was our mindset. Telling him no was passive, shooting was active.
I can tell you now that when I remember very clearly when I was contemplating C vs B I could very much see the appeal of just shooting him if we had a gun
Frankly, I think that was just you living in the past.

If the choice were really between killing him and telling him no, I think we would have had a lot more people seriously suggesting that he was a monster than we did to make a kill vote happen. That was my point. That most people didn't want to shoot him. Not you personally.

Anyway, I know how these discussions of ours can go in circles. You say you totally would have voted for shooting him if you had a gun. I say it wouldn't have made a difference. I think we can all move on now.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Edit: for me, having a gun would probably have a chilling effect. I would not shoot a dude just for being creepy. Would have to have some more proof on hand to do it.
So I would’ve been the only one to vote for pumping him full of lead?

I think C3 is probably the worst combo and I don't see the point of inviting Elizabeth, no matter what we decide to do. So I guess it's between clearing our own mind or helping Sophie clear hers.

Maybe B2?

Absinthe

Arcane
If the choice were really between killing him and telling him no, I think we would have had a lot more people seriously suggesting that he was a monster than we did to make a kill vote happen. That was my point. That most people didn't want to shoot him. Not you personally.

Anyway, I know how these discussions of ours can go in circles. You say you totally would have voted for shooting him if you had a gun. I say it wouldn't have made a difference. I think we can all move on now.
Eh, I'll just make the plain and obvious point that our choice of weapon does affect how comfortable we feel pursuing violent solutions to our problems (in both directions). If you think it wouldn't've made a single vote's difference (all it takes to have made a decisive difference) then you are living in some weird fantasyland where codex votes are rock-steady and not prone to erratic swings for all manner of reasons.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, you are the resident commissar. It's your calling. :salute:
army-gun.gif

Tigranes

Arcane

Eh, I'll just make the plain and obvious point that our choice of weapon does affect how comfortable we feel pursuing violent solutions to our problems (in both directions). If you think it wouldn't've made a single vote's difference (all it takes to have made a decisive difference) then you are living in some weird fantasyland where codex votes are rock-steady and not prone to erratic swings for all manner of reasons.

I would probably have stayed at C instead of my last minute deciding flop if we had a gun.

But then, I think I would also have voted for the gun if we didn't have so many people fapping to fantasies of James Bonding the shifter with it immediately.

hello friend

Arcane
Edit: for me, having a gun would probably have a chilling effect. I would not shoot a dude just for being creepy. Would have to have some more proof on hand to do it.
As I recall nearly half the votes were for shooting the guy. Who can say if the vote distribution would have been similar if we had a gun? I, for one, wish we did, and yes I would have shot that motherfucker.

A2

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Alright, I misread the situation with the fat man I admit. It just seemed way too obvious that he was some dangerous guy, so I figured Treave had to be taking us for a ride. I will say, I had flopped to C before flopping back to B, and if we had a gun I would have been willing to shoot him. The slingshot was just too lame though and I was hoping he'd be chill and let us go. I tall worked out in the end didn't it! Even if we shot the slingshot at him, Tlalli would still have collapsed from the exertion of using her super powerful Astra. I think it worked out as well as we could have hoped in the end

Also, I'm specifying my vote to C4>C2>C1>C3

Baltika9

Arcane
===Poll===

I think that it makes sense to count votes by packages for this update. Please let me know if you disagree.

A2 - 4 (5)

B2 - 1

C1 - 5

C2 - 1 (0)

C3 - 1

C4 - 5

=By majority of secondary preferences=

A2 - 7

C4 - 6
Nevill - A2
Baltika9 - A2>C1
Absinthe - A2>C4
hello friend - A2

Life of the Party - B2

Kz3r0 - C1>A2
Lambchop19 - C1>A1
CappenVarra - C1
baud - C1>A2
Tigranes - C1>C4

Azira - C2>C3>A2

asxetos - C3

Kalarion - C4
ItsChon -C4
Egosphere - C4
ItsChon - C4>C2>C1>C3
Grimgravy- C4

i'm getting psychic readings from a parallel universe where we chose to play the scholar, and then avoided books and went outside to hunt at every opportunity
I'm actually down with a Hunter/Scholar multiclass. Seems like a good setup for a well-rounded monster hunter. A good Witcher needs to be well-read, after all.

But then again:
So either we take Liz in the woods
:philosoraptor:
Don't worry, comrade, I'm always ready to execute British imperialist swine with you.
:hug:

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Treave, well, I was wondering if we could skim titles to see if there are relevant books, rather than go through the effort of pouring through contents if we just want to know what kind of books there are. We'd still have to commit if we want to read the books in question anyway.

Baltika9, I agree. Feels like our preference for partner depends on our choice of activity.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
My Cx should count for any C that beats A. For now, I'll express it as C1 > C4.

We are not going to be a world famous philosopher, and we're not going to find magic books of fireball everywhere. We don't have to pick books all the time.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's our downtime after an (unsuccessful) monster hunt.

We can have a hobby not related to our main profession. We only learned to read six months ago, so a curiosity is natural. We are in no more danger to become a "world famous philosopher" ( :lol: ) from indulging an occasional book than the girls are from reading their Jane Austin novels.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
We are not going to be a world famous philosopher, and we're not going to find magic books of fireball everywhere. We don't have to pick books all the time.
Go-go exaggeration hamster!

No one is picking A2 to become Aristotle. Our goals are to spend time with Sophie and help our big sister cope with what she just saw and what almost happened to her (normies, amirite? :roll: ), like a good little brother should, and to go through the library of the greatest monster hunter of the Tower. Who knows what these battle nerds have in there? Lastly, reading can't be lame: Tlalli does it and she just dropkicked a monster while she was on fire.

If you're saying that reading in this situation is lame, that's fair; but I'm saying that if we come out of this expedition with an astra and a strong bond with Sophie, then that will be a huge win by itself.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We have a three way tie between A2, C1, and C4. Going by second preferences, A2 beats C4 by one vote, 7-6. If anyone wants to do some flops one way or another, now is the time.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, I'm not sure every Cx voter is aware that's how we're divvying it up. It should be up to them individually to express second preferences.

Baltika9

Arcane
It should be up to them individually to express second preferences.
It's my proposed method of breaking up our current three-way tie. Although that same logic can be used to put C1 ahead by flopping from A2 and C4 to C1.

I'll re-post the tally so that people who don't camp the 'Dex can catch up. Thank you for voicing your concerns.

Or you could, y'know, flop to A2 and solve the entire dispute that way.
:happytrollboy:

===Poll===

I think that it makes sense to count votes by packages for this update. Please let me know if you disagree.

A2 - 7 (10)

A4 - 1 (0)

B2 - 1

C1 - 5 (2)

C2 - 1 (0)

C3 - 1

C4 - 4 (6)

Nevill - A2
Baltika9 - A2>C1
Absinthe - A2>C4
hello friend - A2
Kz3r0 - A2
Oscar - A2
Life of the Party - A2

ItsChon - A4>A2

Lambchop19 - C1>A1
CappenVarra - C1
baud - C1>A2
Tigranes - C1>C4
Kipeci - C1>C4

Azira - C2>C3>A2

asxetos - C3

Kalarion - C4
ERYFKRAD - C4
Egosphere - C4
Grimgravy- C4

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom