Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Command & Conquer Remastered Collection from Petroglyph

I think I'm going to take some days off two weeks from now...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I find it suspicious how reasonably priced this is. Just 15 eurobucks? Where's the catch?
It's a 25 year old RTS with a 25 year old RTS gameplay, including a 25 year old pathing, 25 year old UI and 25 year old AI. It's gonna be AoE 1: DE all over again. Strictly for people suffering from a severe case of nostalgiafaggotry.

Back in the day I had like 200 hours in Dune 2 but today I wouldn't want a Dune 2 Remastered even if it came with a free blowjob.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I find it suspicious how reasonably priced this is. Just 15 eurobucks? Where's the catch?
It's a 25 year old RTS with a 25 year old RTS gameplay, including a 25 year old pathing, 25 year old UI and 25 year old AI. It's gonna be AoE 1: DE all over again. Strictly for people suffering from a severe case of nostalgiafaggotry.

Back in the day I had like 200 hours in Dune 2 but today I wouldn't want a Dune 2 Remastered even if it came with a free blowjob.
You can also literally play the game for free right now https://www.openra.net/.

You'll have to suffer old graphics though, great woe.

vota DC

Augur
Openra already does a lot of stuff you can even mix different features from different westwood games for example giving ships to Kane or give underground tunnel to Fremen or an ordos deviator to Stalin.
Some newer games like emperor aren't included.

I'm Seth.

Just Seth.

From God, to Kane, to Seth.

Seth or... SSeth?

(It was either that or "No, I'm Seth!")
Bica Yeshor'click

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Steam says it's 20 jewros.

70 potato dollars on my steam, and that's under 20.

It's a 25 year old RTS with a 25 year old RTS gameplay, including a 25 year old pathing, 25 year old UI and 25 year old AI.

It's also EA, which means every penny you can pinch.

... and really, "25 year old UI" when this is exactly one of the things that are getting an overhaul...?

Strictly for people suffering from a severe case of nostalgiafaggotry.

ah, muh nostalgia argument, nevermind

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
He's mostly right though. Are there many people who are genuinely interested in gameplay model of a mid-nineties rts, click to gather resource, click to produce units, click to repel an attack, click to attack? Not to mention the (way too numerous) missions without base building, which were always pure prosper in these games. Proper AoE2 remake is awesome, proper TA remake would be awesome, but this?

I liked C&C or KKND back then and the production values look cool, but my bet is on this being a "I'll buy, run for 30 minutes and never return again" purchase for most people.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I replayed TibDawn fairly recently and liked it, so that's a swing and miss. The campaign still holds up fairly well, primarily thanks to the asymmetry of the factions. The only truly retardo part of TibDawn are the missions where the AI has multiple bases, each with a "fake" construction yard, while the "real" one that has global range is tucked away in some random corner of the map and keeps rebuilding the busted bases. It would probably be one of the few interventions into the actual gameplay that I'd really like to see them address for the remaster (as well as stuff like the dumbass NOD SAM animation that makes the building near-useless).

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I guess RA2 and TD are a bit better with more varied objectives and unit abilities (although still not something I would get too excited about nowadays, outside of maybe seeing Kyle Reese and Leland Palmer for teh no homo feelz), but they aren't part of this remaster, are they?

Dayyālu

Arcane
Cruel as it may be, having replayed RA1 and TibDawn somewhat recently and having replayed the OpenRa versions of the missions, they simply aren't that good. We aren't talking TB game design here, most of them are just a grind or puzzles and it doesn't help that the AI is even more basic that usual.

I'm seriously more curious about MP: OpenRA, despite modder autism and a shitton of changes for BALANCE proves that the simple and direct gameplay of RA/TibDawn can still work very well. That will probably save or kill the remasters, because the simpler player campaign is truly somewhat archaic and only for those that can appreciate the genre.

Stock RA MP needs serious rebalancing tho to be enjoyable. Hate OpenRA or love it, at least they try.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I guess RA2 and TD are a bit better with more varied objectives and unit abilities (although still not something I would get too excited about nowadays, outside of maybe seeing Kyle Reese and Leland Palmer for teh no homo feelz)

Tiberian Dawn is C&C, you're thinking Tiberian Sun.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm getting awfully :bounce: here, for a C&C game in 2020 no less. Then I remember what EA did to the rest of the franchise :negative:.

The briefing for the first Soviet mission involves the military leadership casually discussing nerve gas tests on civilians, so...

The game also opens with Albert Einstein traveling back in time to kill Hilter. And Tiberian Dawn is basically a GI Joe vs Cobra video game. There is an aspect to them that's ground, and Red Alert definitely got wackier as it went on, but they were always a little wacky too.

The interesting thing about looking at the concept art for Tiberian Dawn is there seems to be a big Masamune Shirow influence on the designs of most everything. But in the actual game this mostly seems to have all been lost because things like unit icons are just pictures of people in normal clothing as opposed to actual art where you could more cheaply show units in armor, similarly the vehicle lost some detail or became more normal looking.

gallery_3_31_57770.jpg
latest

Endemic

Arcane
The interesting thing about looking at the concept art for Tiberian Dawn is there seems to be a big Masamune Shirow influence on the designs of most everything. But in the actual game this mostly seems to have all been lost because things like unit icons are just pictures of people in normal clothing as opposed to actual art where you could more cheaply show units in armor, similarly the vehicle lost some detail or became more normal looking.

That kind of improvisation seems more fitting for NOD, interesting art though.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
fucking shit too late to buy the ULTIMATE MEGA SUPER DUPER COLLECTOR EDITION.

I was going to put it on display for my kids, so they could see how cool their dad used to be.

Quatlo

Arcane
While waiting, please try both amazing mods for tibsun - Dawn of the Tiberium Age that joins both games - Dawn and RA into one but in tibsun engine (which is actually amazing, its so seamless you wont notice it) and Twisted Insurrection, which happens after TibSun storyline - its so well developed that it could be its own game easily, with ~60 original music tracks to boot.
Both are free and you dont need the base game for them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom