Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Terraria

So I haven't played this in 5 years, but I booted it up to check out the update, and... my game plays in slow-mo. I'm not talking about FPS, getting a solid 60, but I move like I'm walking through Jello and when I jump I look like Neil Armstrong. It's somewhat amusing, but also completely unplayable. No mods installed. Is this a thing?

Edit: Read back into the thread and turned on frameskip. Same as Black Angel it helps, but doesn't seem to solve the issue entirely. Very weird.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If I turn frameskip off, it runs at about 110 FPS here; trying (but failing) to reach my monitor's refresh rate of 144.

If anything, I'd expect to be the one with performance issues, as I have a threadripper 1950X, which is a NUMA thing,which means the cores can have crazy high latency talking to each other.

mogwaimon

Magister
Finally, some sage advice for people who want to start out with a fresh character:

# If you don't like all those gravestones your track record of failure leaves behind and try to mine them away, there's an extra string attached now that may make you reconsider. Who ya gonna call?

that's fine and dandy if you're not on Master Mode because the alternative to breaking the gravestones is leaving them all out in the open and accidentally converting your home base into a graveyard biome. Fun times in hell were had

ColCol

Arcane
I haven't played this in yuears, watched Uberdanger's video recently and was surprised at how much this game evolved/chagne (in a good way). Well, good outside the fact that at highlevels the game seems to become something akin to an mmorpg.

Black Angel

Arcane
I'm not sure what happens, but it seems my game just fixed itself. Now it doesn't matter what setting the frameskip is, it runs just as smooth as butter as it always had. But I'd predict it would behave in slow-mo once I turned off the laptop and turned it on again tomorrow, so my guess the fix is simply turning the frameskip on and off until it fix itself.

Edit: forget turning off the laptop, I exited to main menu and waited a minute or two and loading the game it goes slow-mo once again. Actually, alt-tabbing might also seems to be the cause. But I was right, turning the frameskip setting on and off until it fix itself works.

Farewell into the night

Is there a way to make the colours in Terraria less eyefu#kering? They are so crazy that it hurt my eyes.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The dev added a new luck mechanic that punishes you for placing the "wrong" type of torches in the wrong biome. The wrong torches decrease drop rate of items and your damage done.

https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Luck

It's apparently also causing big performance issues in larger worlds because it recalcs luck very frequently. Seems to be caused by dev autism.

qeK5Efo.png

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The dev added a new luck mechanic that punishes you for placing the "wrong" type of torches in the wrong biome. The wrong torches decrease drop rate of items and your damage done.

It's apparently also causing big performance issues in larger worlds because it recalcs luck very frequently. Seems to be caused by dev autism.

qeK5Efo.png
Well fuck, that settles it. I'd finally gotten the game to run (badly) and was on the fence with bothering to continue. Nope. What a shitty fucking update.

New things I've noticed:

Cons:
Bullshit traps. Way more bullshit traps when there were already too many.
Happiness mechanic is retarded, and requires you to spread people out all over the map. What the fuck? Who would ever want this?
Haven't noticed a single new enemy or biome so far. I guess there are now small pockets of different background underground, which presumably bias towards some existing enemy types that used to spawn randomly anyways? Whatever, it's impossible to notice the effect, if any.
As per usual, haven't seen a pyramid in either desert, no sword shrines, basically nothing interesting at all. Grind that iron peasant! Build a floating railway to farm space! Build an arena to farm bosses over and over easily. Tedious bullshit wins over actual exploration which will just waste your time with deathtraps.

Pros:
Gem trees are cool scenery, but not really relevant.
Doors work the way they always should have, which is nice.
New NPC made a bunch of people butthurt.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
They just removed the Bad Torch Luck in 1.4.0.3.

I do think some of them made sense, i.e. regular ones in ice, hallow in crimson and vice versa, etc.
But it's not good to punish the player for obscure unexplained mechanics.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So I haven't played this in 5 years, but I booted it up to check out the update, and... my game plays in slow-mo. I'm not talking about FPS, getting a solid 60, but I move like I'm walking through Jello and when I jump I look like Neil Armstrong. It's somewhat amusing, but also completely unplayable. No mods installed. Is this a thing?

Edit: Read back into the thread and turned on frameskip. Same as Black Angel it helps, but doesn't seem to solve the issue entirely. Very weird.

What are your specs? They made a lot of graphical improvements over the years, and it no longer runs well on weak systems.
Back when it was released you could indeed run it on a low-end system. Now you need more of a medium end system.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

qeK5Efo.png

Oh wow, that's a petty update. So much for creativity then I guess.

Edit : Turns out it was removed in 1.4.0.3 after everyone said it was a terrible idea

Changes/Additions
  • Removed bad torch luck
  • Increased Prismatic Lacewing spawn rate significantly
  • Angry Dandelions now have a chance to drop Daybloom
  • Betsy now only takes one kill to "max" Bestiary progress like other main bosses
  • Zenith now requires Bee Keeper in its recipe
  • Shiverthorn is now somewhat slower to grow, but twice as fast to bloom
  • Waterleaf grows faster in the rain, Blinkroot grows faster underground, Fireblossom in the Underworld
  • More Blinkroots appear during worldgen, and all herbs can potentially "grow" during worldgen as well
  • Owls now hoot less
  • Added a large quantity of art asset revisions, mostly minor touch ups, but several with substantial changes, most notably, the Molten weapons and tools, Clentaminator, and S.D.M.G.
  • Tombstones now display with Dangersense Potion
  • Dungeon Guardian and Old Man will also be unlocked if you have Skeletron unlocked now, in addition to the previously existing methods to ensure you could unlock them
  • Added a config.json setting called "DisableIntenseVisualEffects" that you can use to disable flashing during thunderstorms. Can be expanded to include other mechanics upon feedback

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Mucked about a little in the desert. If Damned Registrations is looking for new enemies, that's the place to start.

I don't know how they did it, but they actually made the Desert biome worse than it was. It's still a ball of sand, it's still little passageways like before, but they're more strewn about now, with regular sand in-between. So not only is it a bitch to navigate like before, but now you have to worry about falling sand on top of everything else. And the new trap, of course. That one is actually pretty cool because you can sometimes make it work for you. But yeah, I felt drained after a single visit to the Desert, while I can literally sink hours into the Underground and other biomes.

This 1.4-update is turning out to be a mixed baTHEY NERFED THE OWLS!?!

What are your specs? They made a lot of graphical improvements over the years, and it no longer runs well on weak systems.
Back when it was released you could indeed run it on a low-end system. Now you need more of a medium end system.
I have a 1070 and an i7. No way specs are the issue.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Well that's just weird then. Maybe drivers aren't updated? Or there's a setting that your card doesn't like?

Black Angel

Arcane
Haven't noticed a single new enemy or biome so far. I guess there are now small pockets of different background underground, which presumably bias towards some existing enemy types that used to spawn randomly anyways? Whatever, it's impossible to notice the effect, if any.
New biomes probably need to start a new world, though perhaps some like the Graveyard can be manually generated. Did you started a new world or loaded an already existing one? I loaded an already existing one, and I'm encountering enemies and critters I never encountered before. Though FYI I haven't even gotten into Hardmode yet (haven't explored the Underworld, too), and the world I generated was small.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I generated a new medium world. What have you seen besides critters and the graveyard? I guess I saw a new enemy in the desert underground, the little larva things.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Come to think of it I don't think I've seen new enemies either. Did they make medium worlds larger? Medium feels a lot larger than I remember it being
I remember generating a medium world once and the crimson wasn't too far from my spawn. In this medium world the Crimson was a bit away.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
It's more a lot of things are reworked, than new things added
I haven't gotten to hard mode yet either, not extensively explored the jungle, hell, or the granite/marble mini biomes.

Location stuff I have noticed so far
Mushroom biomes are bigger and with far fewer traps.
One of the oceans is shallow, but has very large tunnel to its water chest.
Crimson (and probably corruption) occupy one half of the map, rather than 2 random spots in both halves.
Granite and Marble Biomes now appear near or in the jungle only, these enemies are a massive pain when you're trying to make your hellevator on copper gear...
Beaches are much bigger and nicer and even have palm trees now
Dungeon now has numerous pitfalls and hidden passages obscured by brittle walls.
Desert got massively reworked; super deadly cactus balls, larvae everywhere, and cave in traps to worry about.
Graveyard biome from having too many gravestones; this powers up zombies so they can break doors and things, like under a bloodmoon.

Enemy stuff I've noticed so far
There's new varieties of zombies, and they attack and hit you pretty hard; a high knock back melee weapon won't keep you safe.
Regular skeletons in caves now toss bones at you,
I got attacked by a gnome somewhere, it turned into a statue after I hit it
There's 2 new enemies in the mushroom biome at least, a spore bat and a spore zombie
Fishing on a blood moon nets you some unwelcome surprises
The desert underground is full of larvae, pretty deadly and easily swarms you.
The desert also has Giant versions of the ant lions; most of your weapons at this stage is only going to tick 1 HP off at a time from these.

Also Flail weapons got reworked, much more useful now, and I've been using it as a bit of a crutch because:
Hold to swing the flail around you
Click (or release) to throw it
And if the flail is thrown, hold the button to make it drop and stay.

Kind of funny watching enemies just repeatedly impale themselves (and get knocked back) on a spiky ball on the ground.

I also really miss mods.... especially Magic Storage and Recipe Browser...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The Gnomes are an odd one. They're mostly found in the Megatrees and don't drop anything, but if they get hit by sunlight they immediately turn to stone (Garden Gnome). They can operate on the surface during the day as long as they have blocks above them and a wall behind them.

And Garden Gnomes contribute positively to the Luck mechanic, so they're now another useful placeable like fireplaces, heart lanterns and such.

I'm currently in a world where the Corruption comes early to the West, but occupies a tiny sliver close to the beach on the East side.
I've yet to find an Ice biome.
I've come across a Granite biome on the opposite side to the Jungle, so I doubt that's a given rule.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
I usually run into about 2 granite biomes (or at least its enemies) just digging straight down, and find 2 marble biomes connected via minecart tracks.
I've finished my hellevator, and the only ones I've found so far was was from when i briefly YOLO'd it through the jungle and barely survived a queen bee.

Would need TEdit to update to know for sure though.

The Decline

Arcane

Are you running it as fullscreen or borderless window?

*edit*
I'm having fun with the update. I fished up a Godly Falcon Blade super early so everything so far in pre-hardmode has been a cakewalk.

Black Angel

Arcane
What have you seen besides critters and the graveyard?
I actually don't have a graveyard because it's an already existing world, but it seems it can be generated by placing a LOT of gravestones next to each other in the same range of tiles.

As for new enemies, I remembered clearly encountering slimes riding a baloon, ghosts (after pickaxe-ing a gravestone), zombies with torches, small antlion charger, spore bats and spore zombies, and these are the enemies I've never encountered before in places I've frequented like the mushroom, desert, and forest biomes. Haven't explored the jungle and haven't gotten back to continue exploring the snow myself.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Been playing some more. Taking it slow to try to catch the small differences.

That many item stacks now go higher is a blessing in almost every instance... but in one notable instance it left me in a bit of a pickle: Torches. Building up a stack of them now takes considerable effort, to the point that I was suffering from gel shortage for quite some time. This slowed me down in the first steps, which is something I was concerned the 1.4-update would do in general.

Another example: The 'Happiness'-mechanic. At first this does slow down the flow of the game as you have to figure out what NPC prefers what NPC and in which biome. Fortunately it's pretty straightforward once you take a minute to look into it, and while it does take some extra time to set it all up it's SO WORTH IT. The Jungle Pylon alone is more than worth the effort. The Ocean Pylon will be another life-saver as well once I bother to walk over there and make some homes for the Angler and the Golfer (and good riddance to them!).

The only downside is that if you tended to fight some of the larger battles with some of the NPCs lending a hand (the Nurse and the Dryad in particular) then this does hamper that a bit, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with some pre-fight prepping (and building some extra housing).

The Mushroom-biome has improved greatly, to the point that I love it as much as I loathe the Desert-biome. The new enemies fit right in and the expanded bioluminiscent environment makes it a joy to explore.

The RNG of the game seems to have screwed up somewhere. I've been playing for 300+ in-game days and only had a single Blood Moon. Likewise I've been trying my hand at reforging and never gotten the Legendary-modifer, even though I burned through more than 2 platinum worth of attempts!

There are now 'special' World Seeds. They really mess up the world. Look them up if you want a crazy challenge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom