Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If the writer had some bad experiences with something, then maybe they could wrote good villain.
Yeah,modern day writers or people in general,lack any real life experiences.Life has become far too monotonous and safe.

These are Russians we’re talking about, not Californians.
Oh yeah,it is far better than most western writing. But still it is decline compared to the quality of writing from a century ago or even 50 years. Generally the quality of life around the world has increased and people end up having a lot less life experience. Technology had dumbified people a lot.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
FYI for anyone who was asking last week and hasn't figured out yet, yes the Alpha is still playable after the 21st.

Finished clearing the lost chapel last night, a couple more very tough fights. I'm in the library of the chapel now and trying to figure out how not to get my ass kicked in there, since I'm not planning to take the Mythic path that the boss offers you. He might just be beyond me at this point but I'll give it a couple more shots and see how I do, at least.

Despite my earlier defense of "don't rest when the game is pushing you to do something urgent" I had to rest as soon as possible during this mission, since apparently I hit the quest trigger while exhausted and the game doesn't give you a chance to long rest before heading to the chapel.

I've been consistently maintaining an LG alignment but I've got Azata options popping up in my Mythic feats. Does anyone know if this is just because I finished the Desna Priest quest? I feel like I should have to be acting more chaotic to go the Azata route.
Does the game do anything to punish rests or discourage them?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
FYI for anyone who was asking last week and hasn't figured out yet, yes the Alpha is still playable after the 21st.

Finished clearing the lost chapel last night, a couple more very tough fights. I'm in the library of the chapel now and trying to figure out how not to get my ass kicked in there, since I'm not planning to take the Mythic path that the boss offers you. He might just be beyond me at this point but I'll give it a couple more shots and see how I do, at least.

Despite my earlier defense of "don't rest when the game is pushing you to do something urgent" I had to rest as soon as possible during this mission, since apparently I hit the quest trigger while exhausted and the game doesn't give you a chance to long rest before heading to the chapel.

I've been consistently maintaining an LG alignment but I've got Azata options popping up in my Mythic feats. Does anyone know if this is just because I finished the Desna Priest quest? I feel like I should have to be acting more chaotic to go the Azata route.
Does the game do anything to punish rests or discourage them?

Yes and no. There are a couple objectives in the town that you miss if you get there too late. It heavily implies that you lose out if you don’t rush to the Queen on the bug map.

on the flip side the HoMM pieces seems to encourage rest/skipping days to get your army strong enough to break the final siege. Sure that will be significantly different by release so hard to say.

Efe

Erudite
they said you can also get some new encounters/events if you go late so its not all stick but a mix of carrot and stick..

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
if you're roleplaying shit classes all the time (like the Ranger) then the game is too easy.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Wat means?

When I pick a character I usually roleplay the class. Traditionally one of the most underpowered classes: the Ranger. Then the game becomes more challenging, but also more boring because the class is boring and there's never any roleplaying abilities. So Kingmaker solved part of that by making the game much harder for the Ranger classes. So it solved my autism a bit by provoking me to multiclass and powergame a bit more.

I also watched Justice League: Apokolips War recently and that made me think: RPGs need to provoke you by creating enemies that you absolutely want to destroy. I think BG2 managed that pretty well, but action RPGs like Shadow of Mordor were too tryhard. Kingmaker is more like you're fighting a natural disaster. Although I haven't finished it yet.

Honestly, I think the ending just ruined the movie because they can create another flashpoint to reset everything.

Yeah, but while it was happening, it was refreshing for them to just do straight-up-evil. Darkseid is a god of evil who wants to kill everyone, desecrate their corpse, and then dominate and consume all living souls and free will in the universe. The Paradooms he created are monsters in every sense of the word; the want to tear their enemies apart and eat them alive. Because they can, and because they enjoy it.

I know it all comes back to politics, but maybe there's too much librul stuff from Paizo interfering whith the 'nauture of evil' in all of this: when it can be really simple.

Dodo1610

Arcane
On the story level I don't understand why demons have to be fought.

Let them remake Golarion into a new, different world. It's always for the better.
:hailcthulhu:
Pictured: LannTheStupid

Grrr, that's not Chluthu (as per .gif name) it's Baphomet. Not going to get very far if one mistakes a demon's identity :)

The gif fits since the whole 5. chapter in the adventure path is where you do nothing else except fighting Baphomet and his followers.
913Nug6X56L.jpg

Desiderius

Patron
So Kingmaker solved part of that by making the game much harder for the Ranger classes. So it solved my autism a bit by provoking me to multiclass and powergame a bit more.

Yeah, no.

Rangers laying the wood.jpg

Amiri (Freebooter) and Ekun both Rangers in this pic. Ranger is the most powerful class in P:K.

I've found that pretty much everyone who says P:K is too hard or that something is underpowered has made the same mistake - not grokking that P:K was designed to correct the multi-classing spam of 3.5 and so leans toward making single-classing the default powerplay. In a way it's pretty freaking awesome to see the minmaxxers with egg on their face, but they've now suffered long enough and had too much influence on the noobs. The truth needs to get out.

Desiderius

Patron
Ranged classes enjoy far more Full Attacks than other classes, and at full BAB with Favored Enemy/Freebooters Bane/Improved Quarry Ranger is better at landing those iteratives/enabling Deadly Aim to beef them up. On top of that Ranger gets Hurricane Bow to up the Dice, Aspect of Falcon to save a feat on Improved Crit, Stone Call to keep enemies at range, and Feather Step, Mass to let your teammates move as normal.

Melee Ranger is even more dangerous due to Combat Style Feats letting you get key Feats much earlier than other classes (Shield Mastery at lvl 6!) or without prereqs, Lead Blades, and Aspect of Wolf.

And of course you've got the broken pet or irreplaceable stacking group buffs of Freebooter or Hunter's Bond.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So Kingmaker solved part of that by making the game much harder for the Ranger classes. So it solved my autism a bit by provoking me to multiclass and powergame a bit more.

Yeah, no.

View attachment 13308
Amiri (Freebooter) and Ekun both Rangers in this pic. Ranger is the most powerful class in P:K.

I've found that pretty much everyone who says P:K is too hard or that something is underpowered has made the same mistake - not grokking that P:K was designed to correct the multi-classing spam of 3.5 and so leans toward making single-classing the default powerplay. In a way it's pretty freaking awesome to see the minmaxxers with egg on their face, but they've now suffered long enough and had too much influence on the noobs. The truth needs to get out.
It's not a big surprise that single-class characters are the real deal in Pathfinder: it's one of the core principle of the entire system. They gave (more or less) interesting features to each class and spread them throughout the levels, so you can't just dip 2 levels and obtain everything the class has to offer (which, instead, was the case in D&D 3.5). Not only that: by multiclassing, you also delay the acquisition of your base class strongest features that you would gain at higher levels (or, even worse, completely miss out on them).

Desiderius

Patron
Most important part of that Ranger pic was all the Lore (Nature) and Knowledge (Arcana) checks succeeding. Blindfight ain't gonna help you if you fail all those.

Efe

Erudite
hows enemy variety? i expect ranger would be very easy to play with favored enemy bonus working on everything.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So Queen Galfrey is, like, Putin on literal steroids? I wonder if it will be possible to kill her or to force her to stop taking those drugs...

Also, is it possible to destroy the church of Iomedae? Or Iomedae itself?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
not grokking that P:K was designed to correct the multi-classing spam of 3.5 and so leans toward making single-classing the default powerplay.

Let me introduce you to Nerd Commando's Universal Soldier builds :)

But yeah there are quite a few classes where single class makes the most sense. I'm playing an Eldritch Archer atm, and it's a lovely single-class class.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
not grokking that P:K was designed to correct the multi-classing spam of 3.5 and so leans toward making single-classing the default powerplay.

But yeah there are quite a few classes where single class makes the most sense. I'm playing an Eldritch Archer atm, and it's a lovely single-class class.
I just searched "Nerd Commando's Universal Soldier" on YouTube and this is the first result I got:

If a Fighter 4/Magus 3/Monk 2/Ranger 1/Bard 2/Vivisectionist 2/Stalwart Defender 2/Dragon Disciple 4 is his idea of an optimized build... yeah, I don't want to know anything else. But I haven't watched the video, maybe it's just a joke.

Rat King

Educated

I just searched "Nerd Commando's Universal Soldier" on YouTube and this is the first result I got:

If a Fighter 4/Magus 3/Monk 2/Ranger 1/Bard 2/Vivisectionist 2/Stalwart Defender 2/Dragon Disciple 4 is his idea of an optimized build... yeah, I don't want to know anything else. But I haven't watched the video, maybe it's just a joke.

He sounds like a complete window licker... He's either a genius troll or a literal troglodyte.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
So Queen Galfrey is, like, Putin on literal steroids? I wonder if it will be possible to kill her or to force her to stop taking those drugs...

Also, is it possible to destroy the church of Iomedae? Or Iomedae itself?
There are 4chan leaks from digging into the .json files, Pink Eye is probably more knowledgeable than I am about this but
I am pretty sure you can get Galfrey to stop taking the drugs and I also think you can kill her.
I don't think you can kill Iomedae but if you go Swarm path boy oh boy does she hate your guts, and she seems to consider you a threat.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

There are at least 4 guys in this thread significantly better at builds than Nerd Commando.
I would actually be surprised if there were more than 4 guys in this thread worse at builds than he is.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There are at least 4 guys in this thread significantly better at builds than Nerd Commando.

As I see it, there are two basic build philosophies: theoretical min-maxing and practical min-maxing. You can build for a perfectly min-maxed character, squeezing every possible drop of juice out of the system by lvl 20, preparing the ground for it with earlier choices; or you can build so that the game is enjoyable at early to mid levels, where most people spend most time playing the game anyway. NC builds for the latter, so I can see how his builds might be abhorrent to people who follow the first philosophy.

e.g. he'll often point out, "Sure, you can build it THIS way and have an absolute beast by lvl 20, but how much time are you going to be spending playing the game at lvl 18-20?"

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

NC builds [so that the game is enjoyable at early to mid levels, where most people spend most time playing the game anyway]
This is the philosophy I go by and I totally disagree with you that it's the way NC's builds work. You delay your class features way too much for it to be enjoyable or especially effective at mid-level.
If you find his builds fun and enjoy playing them then power to you but again I totally disagree with your view on how and why his builds are good (and whether or not they're even very good in the first place).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom