Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Would it still be playable? I started on hard and it seemed like not using a cover button results in enemies detecting you much easier even when you are hiding behind objects
Never used the cover system in either of these games. They're playable, yeah, never had any issues. The only downside is that there's no leaning, but you've got a bunch of augs to help you with that.

DraQ

Arcane
Unbind the cover button.

Would it still be playable? I started on hard and it seemed like not using a cover button results in enemies detecting you much easier even when you are hiding behind objects
It worked in HR and cover system made you absurdly hard to detect behind objects. Just being there gave much saner results.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Completed Mankind Divided and all DLC.

Liked the improved gunplay and movement, plus the game felt much harder on 'Give me Deus Ex' than its predecessor. Then again, I've decided to not meme myself into a 100% stealth playthrough and played a jack of all trades instead. The game looks much nicer than HR and the amount of detail is enormous at times, but there's a big downside -- the environment is almost unreadable from time to time, and quite often I encountered usable objects being used as decorations with no way of interacting with them.

Barely used the new augs apart from remote hacking at the very end of the game, as they felt unnecessary, but it might warrant another playthrough in a couple of years if I ever decide to give it another try.

Also, the AI feels somewhat inconsistent at times and muh storee and characters can't shut the fuck up about the Augs. Augs. Augs. Would you like to talk about the Aug problem? Would you like to talk about the Aug issues? Augs. Augs. Augs. I think the short length is actually the saving grace of the game, as the last third felt somewhat tedious (kinda reminded me of the Omega Ranch and Panchaea in HR), which activated the autopilot mode in my head and made me zoom through the remaining content.

Overall it's a few steps forward, a few steps to the side and a few steps back. The DLC feels much better than the base game, though -- beating all 3 of them in one go felt a bit closer to the original Deus Ex, and the missions are pretty fun.

Nice to see that they're willing to take notes from the previous games and double down on them, such as taking long-ass loading times from Invisible War and cranking them up to 11. :troll:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I started playing this yesterday and it doesn't feel like Deus Ex at all. It doesn't even feel like Human Revolution. The hacking minigame is ridiculously unreadable, I have to take a few seconds to orient myself about what is what. Terrible. The story is cringe so far, I doubt it gets better. There's also the fact everything is anime-like, it's hard to explain, but the way they chose to "film" Jensen reminds me a lot of anime. Is there an optimal time to play the DLC missions or are they totally disconnected from the main game?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I started playing this yesterday and it doesn't feel like Deus Ex at all. It doesn't even feel like Human Revolution. The hacking minigame is ridiculously unreadable, I have to take a few seconds to orient myself about what is what. Terrible. The story is cringe so far, I doubt it gets better. There's also the fact everything is anime-like, it's hard to explain, but the way they chose to "film" Jensen reminds me a lot of anime. Is there an optimal time to play the DLC missions or are they totally disconnected from the main game?

It's like you're describing Human Revolutions, because nothing you say makes sense otherwise.

- HR was extremely anime-like, MD has no anime tropes in it, so yeah it's hard to explain since you're making it up.

- HR had a terribly unreadable hacking minigame, MD has a much clearer hacking minigame and you can just use a multitool and skip it.

- HR had a cringe story, MD doesn't have much of a story at all. Find out who bombed a train station, end of story.

Whether it feels like Deus Ex at all, is subjective. Only Deus Ex feels like Deus Ex, Invisible War sure as shit didn't feel like Deus Ex and neither did HR which felt like Ghost in the Anime. Had spiked hair and everything.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Whether it feels like Deus Ex at all, is subjective. Only Deus Ex feels like Deus Ex, Invisible War sure as shit didn't feel like Deus Ex and neither did HR which felt like Ghost in the Anime. Had spiked hair and everything.
Disagree.

Deus Ex feels like Deus Ex.
Invisible War feels like dumbed down Deus Ex.
Project: Snowblind feels like a generic (but kinda fun) shooter with a few implants lifted from Deus Ex.
Human Revolution feels like Metal Gear Solid with random references to DX lore.
The Fall feels like dumbed down Human Revolution.
Mankind Divided feels like Human Revolution with better gameplay but little else.

Is there an optimal time to play the DLC missions or are they totally disconnected from the main game?
I liked the DLC much more than the campaign, but it's a good idea to play them once you're done with it.

Citizen

Maybe you shouldn't have written that reactionary bullshit immediately.

GOG's fault for not having an edit button. It's basic functionality and is practically a must-have for any sort of meaningful review/score system in software market, where a product may change completely over time and customers change their opinions and edit their reviews accordingly. (the game became better with patches/DLCs - users update their reviews, add score, everyone happy, game is completely broken after some changes - users edit their reviews, remove score points, whatever)

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Disagree.

Project: Snowblind feels like a generic (but kinda fun) shooter with a few implants lifted from Deus Ex.
Mankind Divided feels like Human Revolution with better gameplay but little else.

Invisible War neither looks nor feels like Deus Ex. It was so massively not like DX that it killed the series, had the fans watch in disbelief as they played through that console garbage. Tiny levels, wafer thing plot, universal ammo, and the banal level designs.

DXHR is very clearly an anime love letter, so it's going to look like a lot of animu inspired works, most obviously Ghost in the Shell and others. Namedropping MGS is neither here nor there, yes that game and dozens of others.

The Fall is also some mobile/console trash which isn't worth considering, tbh.

Project Snowblind is not Deus Ex and has nothing to do with Deus Ex. It being the product of an aborted attempt at DX3 is irrelevant, it's completely combat oriented and made by Crystal Dynamics.

DXMD is obviously a derivative of HR, but trying to approach the original DX instead of Watashi animu ghost in the shell.

That it plays a lot like (a refined) HR is neither here nor there, nothing about HR gameplay is unique.

Like DX before it, it's a generic FPS. DX was never defined by the generic FPS nature of the gameplay, but the combination of FPS elements, RPG elements, immersive sim elements, level design and so on. It's not like any other game and yet it's completely like a ton of other games.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Who plays Deus Ex like a shooter though? It seems like the worst possible way to go through the game. Any of them, really. The signature expansive and sprawling level design can't be appreciated.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Disagree.

Invisible War neither looks nor feels like Deus Ex. It was so massively not like DX that it killed the series, had the fans watch in disbelief as they played through that console garbage. Tiny levels, wafer thing plot, universal ammo, and the banal level designs.

DXHR is very clearly an anime love letter, so it's going to look like a lot of animu inspired works, most obviously Ghost in the Shell and others. Namedropping MGS is neither here nor there, yes that game and dozens of others.

The Fall is also some mobile/console trash which isn't worth considering, tbh.

Project Snowblind is not Deus Ex and has nothing to do with Deus Ex. It being the product of an aborted attempt at DX3 is irrelevant, it's completely combat oriented and made by Crystal Dynamics.

DXMD is obviously a derivative of HR, but trying to approach the original DX instead of Watashi animu ghost in the shell.

That it plays a lot like (a refined) HR is neither here nor there, nothing about HR gameplay is unique.

Like DX before it, it's a generic FPS. DX was never defined by the generic FPS nature of the gameplay, but the combination of FPS elements, RPG elements, immersive sim elements, level design and so on. It's not like any other game and yet it's completely like a ton of other games.
IW is closer to the 'real' Deus Ex than any other DX game after it despite being dumbed down and suffering from a severe case of consolitis.

Who plays Deus Ex like a shooter though? It seems like the worst possible way to go through the game. Any of them, really. The signature expansive and sprawling level design can't be appreciated.
Imagine not trying all the tools the game gives to you when the game is all about having a lot of tools and having the freedom to use them to achieve your goals.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
IW is closer to the 'real' Deus Ex than any other DX game after it despite being dumbed down and suffering from a severe case of consolitis.

Let's say you're right, for argument's sake. That doesn't mean it's close to DX at all.

London is closer to NY than Paris. That doesn't mean London is close to NY.

In the end, only DX is DX, and no game bearing the Deus Ex title has ever come close to the original in gameplay, spirit, scope or feeling.

It's not entirely clear that the IW devs were even trying to capture DX, rather than trying to capture the mainstream console bros. After all, DX wasn't a mega-hit, it was a modest success. DX2 had to be a bigger success and appeal to a larger group of people.

Same with HR, Squeenix just had the IP and wanted to cash in on it - they didn't want to make Deus Ex again.

Only with DXMD is it possible to see a course correction, it is the first game since the original that the devs obviously and overtly *try* to capture something of the original Deus Ex. They failed in that attempt, of course - but I appreciate the gesture.

But it would be some kind of a crazy coincidence if either IW or HR managed to capture Deus Ex, because neither game even tried.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Let's say you're right, for argument's sake. That doesn't mean it's close to DX at all.

London is closer to NY than Paris. That doesn't mean London is close to NY.
Thing is, IW has almost all the right gameplay components (the most notably missing ones are related to character progression and universal ammo).

The ingredients are there, but they don't come together as often as they did in the original, and the additional cons (small level sizes, etc) only make the good parts of the game even less noticeable.

Yosharian

Arcane
I have to say I did find it very difficult to get excited about a SHOOTY GUNS LOL approach when I tried it in Deus Ex. I couldn't continue the playthrough for very long, it was so boring.

But my friend who also likes the game always went for that approach so it's likely a personal thing

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Too lazy to scroll back... why are people talking about this game again? Did they remove shitty Denuvo from the Steam edition?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Imagine not trying all the tools the game gives to you when the game is all about having a lot of tools and having the freedom to use them to achieve your goals.

I agree that if you're going with the line "these games allow many different play-styles" then the all out action play-style should be good. However I also agree that most "immersive sims" don't work well that way compared to a more stealthy or at least patient approach. I don't think I've ever played Deus Ex as a guns blazing Rambo type, and doubt I would enjoy it if I did.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

I agree that if you're going with the line "these games allow many different play-styles" then the all out action play-style should be good. However I also agree that most "immersive sims" don't work well that way compared to a more stealthy or at least patient approach. I don't think I've ever played Deus Ex as a guns blazing Rambo type, and doubt I would enjoy it if I did.
I tend to adapt to the situation rather than forcing myself to be 100% stealthy -- it's much more interesting that way. My first attempts to beat DX were all about shooting, and it wasn't showing the best parts of the game, but there's some fun to be had if you're approaching it like a tactical shooter -- if you go in guns blazing, you'll most likely get killed, but if you isolate targets and pick them off one by one, it's alright.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I tend to adapt to the situation rather than forcing myself to be 100% stealthy -- it's much more interesting that way. My first attempts to beat DX were all about shooting, and it wasn't showing the best parts of the game, but there's some fun to be had if you're approaching it like a tactical shooter -- if you go in guns blazing, you'll most likely get killed, but if you isolate targets and pick them off one by one, it's alright.

I like predator stealth much more than ghosting, so we're probably not that different. In all four games I mostly sneak around with a silenced pistol and take guys out without ever being seen. Then once the area is cleared out I walk around normally to find all the items and emails and whatnot.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I try to ghost without using anything, use invisibility if spotted to lose line of sight and only use the augs and stun weapons if cornered, much more fun that way.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron

I suppose you're right, but it's so dumbed down that it's really awful to play and I forced myself through it multiple times. It's like you said, the groundwork is there, but they never make use of it, it's this crappy imitation of what Deus Ex should be, crappy enough that Human Revolution whups its ass. I wasn't expecting to like HR and even downloaded the press leak demo, but I was very surprised at how it played popamole and all.

Silly Germans

There is a multiplayer deathmatch mod for the original Deus Ex. Shooting is actually quite fun especially when someone tries to nail you with the rocket launcher and you activate the active rocket defense which causes the rockets to explode in their face.
For single player it adds a lot of replay value in the original. Going full commando feels pretty good and makes you appreciate all those protective augs. The shooting gameplay is also well implemented and nuanced especially in combination with your augs and skills. You really feel the improvement/progression there.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There's also the narrative reason not to go full commando. Since you are given the option to not kill anyone, killing them is not all that justified. Most of them are soldiers following orders. Why would you kill the ones on Liberty Island at the start of DX1 for example? It seems unnecessary and that makes it morally bad I'd say. You also have the advantage on most missions, it's always a surprise attack you carry out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom