Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Unavowed - Dave Gilbert's RPG-inspired urban fantasy game

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I replayed this recently, and I have to say that my impression of it was significantly more negative than when I played it at release.
I think this game does an excellent job of making it seem like there's variety based on choices, but when you actually go back and replay it, it becomes pretty obvious that there aren't any significant changes beyond the origins and some of the puzzles.
This reads to me like, "After I rewatched the magic trick, I could see how the magician did it, and now it doesn't seem magical." Even if it was all a trick, the game did trick you into "lik[ing] it a lot" and thinking it was "very cool" on the first go around -- which is pretty magical!

The danger of an illusion is that it is seen through too soon, and the fun goes out of it. But if the illusion of choice, narrative, gameplay, etc. holds up until the player is done with his first playthrough, I'm pretty sure the game is successful.

Last edited:
I replayed this recently, and I have to say that my impression of it was significantly more negative than when I played it at release.
This reads to me like, "After I rewatched the magic trick, I could see how the magician did it, and now it doesn't seem magical." Even if it was all a trick, the game did trick you into "lik[ing] it a lot" and thinking it was "very cool" on the first go around -- which is pretty magical!

The danger of an illusion is that it is seen through too soon, and the fun goes out of it. But if the illusion of choice, narrative, gameplay, etc. holds up until the player is done with his first playthrough, I'm pretty sure the game is successful.
I get your argument, but I want to be clear that my biggest problem on the repeat playthrough was not the lack of meaningful C&C (I actually more or less expected that), it was the writing and narrative structure. Why it is that it didn't bother me more on the first playthrough is baffling to me. My recollection of my opinion of the story when playing it through at launch was "Eh. It's fine.", but on the second dip it was "Oh my God this is embarrassing.". Again, why that perception changed I can't say. I don't think I've drastically changed as a person in that two-year gap, but it was sort of like the experience of reading some trash fantasy as an adult that I liked as a kid.

I also want to say that I know you and Dave are friends, and I want to be clear that I mean only to be critical of his work, not him as a person. I think the way Dave was treated when he came on this board to defend one of his friends was appalling, and I can't blame him in the slightest for having a negative opinion of the Codex and leaving it permanently. Friends should defend friends, and no one deserves the scorn and edge of a Codexian lynch mob. I also don't begrudge him Unavowed's success at all. I'm glad that the person who helped bring (among other games that I've enjoyed) Primordia to market has made a bundle of money; I just now think it's less likely he's going to make games that I enjoy (and I will admit to feeling some resentment towards people anointing Unavowed as the apotheosis of the Point and Click sub-genre).

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I want to be clear that I mean only to be critical of his work, not him as a person.
That's certainly how I took it, I thought it was a fair criticism.

(and I will admit to feeling some resentment towards people anointing Unavowed as the apotheosis of the Point and Click sub-genre).
Brother, I could build a fortress from such resentments. :)

RuySan

Augur
I've started playing this through Gamepass and I don't get how can anyone complain about the graphics. They're absolutely gorgeous.

I usually don't like modern day fantasy or paranormal stuff because it's always silly. But this game has choices and multiple solution to puzzles from what I gather, and with the nice graphics and ultra smooth music, it's really pleasant.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I liked Unavowed. For me, it started REALLY strongly ("choice of background", then choice of character), I like the writings of the companions. The reveal was really strong in my opinion.
On the other hand, some of the "missions" were really badly written, Star Trek "monster of the week" level, the worst one being the one on the Island that follows your motorboat. The end of the plot makes no sense, in particular the "dryad" sort of monster who helps you even though you are her antagonist.

I would not replay it, but I had fun. IMO, the strongest Wadjet Eye Games are the ones done by external developers. My favorite is Primordia, with Gemini Rue and Technobabylon close behind. Oh my, yes.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom