Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Absinthe

Arcane
Thanks, fixed.

Tigranes

Arcane
Technically my vote already includes E: TRAPS

Honestly if it were up to me fuck ranged fuck hybrids our ONLY weapon for every encounter would be TRAPS

Shadowbeast eat elf? LURE BEAST TO EARTH PIT, STARVE, TAKE MEAT TO VILLAGE
Rasputin enters astra room? ROCKS FALL FROM ABOVE AND BURY HIM ALIVE, TAKE MEAT TO VILLAGE
Wolfs attack unconscious girls? GIRLS BODIES TURN OUT TO BE DECOY BAITS, LEAVING WOLFS NETTED UP ON A TREE, TAKE MEAT TO VILLAGE
Crazy Bull Man threaten us? TURNS OUT THE SWAMP WAS OUR TRAP, DROWN HIM IN QUICKSAND, RETRIEVE HIS PICKLED BODY, TAKE MEAT TO VILLAGE

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nevill Care to flop to C since B is sadly screwed?
...probably not.

I dislike the melee build, but not to the point that I would actively resist it. If people want to play that way, I say let them.

And while I love Astras, I think we should take some lessons in self-defense, since we can't assume to get another Astra in time for the next hostile confrontation.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Since John Bull is losing out, I am going to break the tie for the 3rd choice and flop to:

C>D - ask about her personal history C>A - ask about the organization she belongs to.

Last edited by a moderator:

This vote has been gay as fuck.
I'm always open to a good argument to vote for A. I would just rather deepen our bond with what appears to be the best mentor-like characters we've seen so far.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave for the sake of clarity: in the skill vote is "melee and unarmed" actually worth twice the learning points of any other option, and meant to be the no-brainer choice?

It gives you some proficiency in both, but it's not a no-brainer choice.

Closing votes in 12 hours.

treave for the sake of clarity: in the skill vote is "melee and unarmed" actually worth twice the learning points of any other option, and meant to be the no-brainer choice?

It gives you some proficiency in both, but it's not a no-brainer choice.

Closing votes in 12 hours.
All the options were pretty tempting. She's adept at both melee and astra use, so either one would be beneficial. It's just that astra use doesn't appear to be as immediately so, since we only have the book right now.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This vote has been gay as fuck.
I'm always open to a good argument to vote for A. I would just rather deepen our bond with what appears to be the best mentor-like characters we've seen so far.
I was joking ofc, all of the options here are fine tbh. The reason I think A is the better option than D is because up until this point we haven't even heard about a Hunter's Association so who knows how well known of an organization it really is? We know that it's an organization with a decent amount of people because Tlalli says as much when we were in her hut.
The other members of the association have a habit of dropping off books here every time they stop by the outpost.
Makes it seem strange to me that we haven't heard about them up until this point. It seems very cool though and I think it's something that we should aim for as a goal, and once we get back to our little Town, god knows when we'll have another chance to learn more about the organization. Those are the arguments for A, the argument against D specifically would be that it's clear Tlalli is someone that is well known in her circle, the Cannibal man says as much several times.
Someone begins to clap. “The Eye of Cuezaltzin burns as brightly as always, like a tiger in the jungle. Oh, how marvellous, how miraculous a sight, to behold the power of one of the mightiest Astras to walk the earth! Indeed, one would never get tired of witnessing the incarnation of Xiuhtecuhtli’s divine spirit into mortal flesh, hmm?
“Indeed, the Grand Old Lady of the Hunters’ Association truly lives up to her name, does she not?
To me this seems to indicate that she's well known, and it's fairly likely that the other Hunter's of the Association would know about how she came to possess all this power. Then there is the fact that very powerful people rarely like to divulge information about their past and/or prefer the people asking to find out themselves.

Finally, as cool as it might be to know more about Tlalli, the information about the Hunter's is more useful now, as I'd like to learn where they stand in the geopolitical intrigue of the tower, whether or not they're an organization even worth joining, and how one might go about joining if they were interested. That's more useful and interesting to me at the moment then the chance of us learning the cool backstory behind Tlalli, someone we might never see again after we get dropped back in Scotsfield.

Hmm. All of those are good points.

Alright, you've convinced me.

C>A - ask about the organization she belongs to.

Baltika9

Arcane
To me this seems to indicate that she's well known, and it's fairly likely that the other Hunter's of the Association would know about how she came to possess all this power. Then there is the fact that very powerful people rarely like to divulge information about their past and/or prefer the people asking to find out themselves.
I'm voting for 3D because it's a way to show interests in her and build a relationship so that she feels more inclined to maybe take us on as an apprentice. Plus, grandma is cool. Spending time with your grandmother is important. Esquilax put it best:
D: Baltika9, we don't deserve chocolate. Because Grandma risked her life to save us, yet we want to ask about anything but her. You're all bad, selfish grandchildren. Shame on you.
I think it would be nice to eventually build a close relationship with her.

Finally, as cool as it might be to know more about Tlalli, the information about the Hunter's is more useful now, as I'd like to learn where they stand in the geopolitical intrigue of the tower, whether or not they're an organization even worth joining, and how one might go about joining if they were interested. That's more useful and interesting to me at the moment then the chance of us learning the cool backstory behind Tlalli, someone we might never see again after we get dropped back in Scotsfield.
This is indeed a very good reason to learn about them. Let's be real: while I totally want her to take us on as an apprentice, and build a relationship with her, she probably has better things to do that come around the village to visit (her favorite) burnt kid with an elf for a little sister/daughter. Whereas knowledge on the Hunters will let us roll up and ask to join when we're ready.

On the other hand, her offer to teach us now could be an indicator that we have her attention as-is. I'm not super hyped about 3A, but I'm not against it either.

I do want to say that they may be as well known as she is, given that they take care of monsters, just not in our Podunk town in the middle of Not-Scotland.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I do want to say that they may be as well known as she is, given that they take care of momsters, just not in our podunk town in the middle of Not-Scotland.
That's a fair point, the Association might be more well known in a large city. Regardless, I think this whole idea of being taken on as her apprentice is silly. We're still only ten and we need to watch over Rain until she's around our age, and able to accompany us and hide/run if there's danger. Plus, spending a few years in town, getting swole from doing a bunch of heavy farming and chores is a great way for us to not only prepare our body but our mind. Ever heard of farmer strength? It's a real thing, and a good opportunity for us. On top of that, we can spend time training our Astras and perhaps refining our hunting skill as well in the surrounding country side. I just think we need to take things a little slower, and seize the opportunities as they come versus simply rushing in.

Baltika9

Arcane
I just think we need to take things a little slower, and seize the opportunities as they come versus simply rushing in.
This is one such opportunity, an opportunity to get the interest of a very powerful person who seems to like us already. She might like our strong and silent vibe and not be one for jawing about random stuff, or she might be a bored old woman who just wants to have fun with her last few years of life and may decide to say 'fuck it, I'll come around for the kid every once in a while.'

I have very little idea of what she's like as a person, and I want to learn that about her. But, like I said, I can respect 3A.
Plus, spending a few years in town, getting swole from doing a bunch of heavy farming and chores is a great way for us to not only prepare our body but our mind.
Totally. Whatever we end up picking as a skill here, we need to work on our physical stats next (unless it's between lifting and spending time with Rain, like it was last time) and read through our books.

Ever heard of farmer strength? It's a real thing, and a good opportunity for us.
Oh yeah. I lived on a farm for a little bit when I was a boy and I've seen it first hand. How the fuck does an old farmer pick up a tractor engine block by himself and not break a sweat?

Regardless, I think this whole idea of being taken on as her apprentice is silly.
Agree to disagree. Grandma is cool, I want to be like her when we grow up.

I'm voting for 3D because it's a way to show interests in her and build a relationship so that she feels more inclined to maybe take us on as an apprentice.
This was my intention too, but I think if she's interested in that and sees us ask about the guild, it's much more likely in A.

I think ItsChon was right and that asking about her past is just likely to get a bit of small talk and backstory and not much else.

People, especially woods-dwelling loners, don't generally open up with deep details to strangers, even if they are an adorable child a fire-mutilated 10-year-old who can barely speak.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Tlalli has offered to train you on your journey. She will teach you a little of everything, but you would like to focus on improving:

A. Melee and unarmed combat. This is Tlalli’s specialty, and being able to hold your ground in close quarters would be important in a fight.

B. Ranged combat. Although not as proficient as her melee skills, Tlalli is still far more adept than you at engaging a target from a distance.

C. Astra usage. You would like to train in your ability to use an Astra more efficiently, and also to understand your current Astra better.

D. Alchemy. As it turns out, all Hunters are expected to know some field alchemy, even if they might not be experts. She can give you pointers to improve.

E. Traps. Having spent a good amount of her life in the wilderness, Tlalli is experienced at both setting and spotting traps.​
It says "melee and unarmed combat" so it's pretty clear that that is what we will be training with A. Two skills, as opposed to one. Treave, can you confirm if we've got it right?
By the same vein, choosing C should boost both our Astra proficiency and Astra affinity.
So both an active and a passive skill. Double-plus good!

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
People, especially woods-dwelling loners, don't generally open up with deep details to strangers, even if they are an adorable child a fire-mutilated 10-year-old who can barely speak.
But do old people love telling tall tales of their exploits!

Master Zhang never told us about his adventures in Japan! Would you miss a chance to hear another story in that vein? :M

Baltika9

Arcane
Combat Skills:
Melee Weapons - 2/5
Ranged Weapons - 2/6
Astra Proficiency - 1/7
Unarmed - 1/5

Active Skills:
Alchemy - 2/6

Arithmetic- 1/6
Artistic Aesthetics - 0/6
Astrology - 0/7
Sleight-of-Hand - 0/5
Stealth - 1/5
Traps - 2/6

Passive Skills:
Astra Affinity - 1/7

Drinking - 0/8
Etiquette - 0/5
Intimidation - 0/4
Speech - 0/4
giphy.gif

How are any of you still doubting our grandmother?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom