Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter live

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Just did my duty :salute:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a bit of a weird Kickstarter where the game is already complete. Why doesn't he release the standalone game on Steam/GOG and make a Kickstarter for the editor/future modules? Does he think he would make more money through Kickstarter than through Steam/GOG sales? That said, I really hope the Kickstarter reaches that $75K stretch goal, since I'm not sure I could play it with the current graphics. I also hope you can turn off the spell effects - they're obnoxious.

Although the chance of it happening is almost nil, I would love to see him get his 300k; all stretch goals unlocked.

What would a guy like that actually do with some semi-serious funding? Would be interesting to see.

Gotta be honest, I'd prefer he didn't waste time on 3d models.

protobob

Liturgist
I remember the first game being pretty dang hard (I never finished it), and I'm not sure if I have the stones for it, but considering I've been checking on his site frequently for the last 11 years for this moment I will probably back it.

Dyskolos

Cipher
Gotta be honest, I'd prefer he didn't waste time on 3d models.

Yeah, quality hand-painted backgrounds and art direction for matching the token art style with the environment art would be best case scenario. Basically make it a pretty tabletop setup that happens to be a videogame.

Mechanically, the game looks as good as, or better than, the first one. And that's incline for sure.

But forgive me, Codex, but that thing is so ugly that hurts. It won't stop me from playing it, but I'll miss the look of the first KotC so much.
:negative:

He's very obviously trying to go for the "I purchased all those Roll20 round tokens to play with my friends online" look, because that's what all the hip modern tabletop fans use these days...
well it would be nice if he would use those, that being said someone will mod some different looking ones in, right? I mean they are everywhere on the web.

Credit Cards aren't widespread in Germany. You have to have a foreskin to understand why paying interest to a credit card company for the privilege of being allowed to pay for something with my own money is kinda weird. I have a debit card that allows me to pay electronically anywhere in Germany, and I pay absolutely no interest for it whatsoever. Such unkosher business practices must come as a shock to americans.

In Russia they quickly force us to abandon paper money and such - only electron money, bank payments and such.
You have money - but you will lose them if a second if you won't obey, I think that's the point.
Total control.

The benefits in terms of convenience are massive.

You are fool, you look only at benefits that are just convenience, and don't want to see the dark side of the Moon.
A fool and his laugh...
yeah total digital money is fucking nightmare, seriously people don't realize how big a step toward virtual slavery it would be to have all digital currency.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So since I'm unsure whether or not we'll have a Codex fundraiser, I decided not to wait and support this now on the Champion tier. Knights of the Chalice was a fantastic game, and to me the Token aspect of the graphics will be similar to online RPG tools, such as the ever popular Fantasy Grounds software. I'm more excited to see that this will come with a toolkset, and I'm assuming you can use it to create your own modules in the style of KOTC. If that's the case, I'm hoping that we'll finally get a modern replacement to SSI's Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures... and no, the Neverwinter Nights modules don't count since the Aurora Engine sucked.

aratuk

Cipher
Hey BlueSalamander, if someone donates to the Kickstarter as well as the Codex fundraiser, would that person's contributions be combined to determine their reward tier?

Provided, of course, that they can demonstrate they are the same person.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey BlueSalamander, if someone donates to the Kickstarter as well as the Codex fundraiser, would that person's contributions be combined to determine their reward tier?

If it's anything like the WOTR fundraiser, donating with the same email address as your KS email causes confusion.

I asked Infinitron to change my email address and it was ok, but others had issues getting their rewards.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

If it's anything like the WOTR fundraiser, donating with the same email address as your KS email causes confusion.

I asked Infinitron to change my email address and it was ok, but others had issues getting their rewards.
Definitely, this.
Considering how much trouble a larger team had with stuff like this, you really don't want to put too much confusion on a much smaller (one man + contractors?) team.

If you want a bigger reward, I'd suggest you go for it in either the KS or the Codex fundraiser.

PrettyDeadman

So, if you donate to the codex fundraiser, you will get kickstarter rewards for the same tier?
How will codex deal with currency fluctuations considering we have to donate in dollar, but kickstarter tiers are in gbp?
Also, if you donate 28 gbp you get the game without any content (aka modules), right? Or base game contains some kind of base module.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, if you donate to the codex fundraiser, you will get kickstarter rewards for the same tier?
How will codex deal with currency fluctuations considering we have to donate in dollar, but kickstarter tiers are in gbp?
Also, if you donate 28 gbp you get the game without any content (aka modules), right? Or base game contains some kind of base module.

Modules are expansion ( but standalone ) games. In a month the first game or "module" releases, next year another game and the next year. etc.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Modules are expansion ( but standalone ) games. In a month the first game or "module" releases, next year another game and the next year. etc.
Also, the first module (the one you get as soon as the Kickstarter project ends) is content to take a party from level 1 to level 21. The next three modules will be roughly 10 levels each (i.e. first module is 1-10, second module is 11-20, and third module is 21-30).

BlueSalamander

Heroic Fantasy Games
Developer
Any news on Gog?
KotC will definitely go to GOG. I just have to go through the process, I'll do it after the KS campaign.

Sprites when?
As soon as I have selected a graphic designer and he or she has finished producing them. After the KS, I will focus on getting KotC 2 ready for Steam. Once the game is released, getting new sprites will be a priority.

What's the ETA on animated sprites if it hits the stretch goal?
April 2021 as a guesstimate. It's hard to know how much time the graphic designer will need.

Which version of animated sprites did KOTC1 have? 4 directions?
Yes, KotC 1 has sprites with four directions.

Is the 50k goal only your party gets animated sprites? It's going to be awkward if there's a mix between sprites and tokens in this game.
There will be sprites for all the creatures.

Does he think he would make more money through Kickstarter than through Steam/GOG sales?
It's just easier for me to do the Kickstarter first and the retail part second. Kickstarter does not approve every project, you need a whole lot of promotional material and a good chance of raising a significant amount of money.

I'm assuming you can use it to create your own modules in the style of KOTC
Absolutely, you can use the toolset to create adventures similar to KotC.

Hey @BlueSalamander, if someone donates to the Kickstarter as well as the Codex fundraiser, would that person's contributions be combined to determine their reward tier?
I was going to say 'yes why not', but the other posters said that it can create problems needlessly, so it's probably better for you to select one or the other, rather than donating through both the KS and the fundraiser. But if you really want to pledge on both, you can just let me know by email at the end of the campaign and we'll combine the contributions.

Absolutely, people will get the KS rewards according to their donation amount, the same as if they had been pledging through the KS page.

I've just asked VoD about this. [Edit:] Okay, if anyone wants to pledge through the Codex fundraiser, please just use Google to convert the GBP amount into US dollars, so that you will know how much you need to pledge. Thank you! :)

The base game contains the first adventure module, called Augury of Chaos.

Thank you for your support everyone!! :)

Last edited:

Mychkine

Educated
So, how many dollars should I contribute to in the Codex fundraiser if I want Diamond Knight level rewards? Would 80 dollars be enough for this or should I wait a bit till an agreement is reached between the Codex and Pierre ?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
The agreement is:
Absolutely, people will get the KS rewards according to their donation amount, the same as if they had been pledging through the KS page.

So yes, 80 bucks = diamond knight, I also donated 80 bucks for that reason.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I care so much about KotC 2 that it's the first time I actually think about purchasing those "name X" or "create your X" tiers instead of the one that just includes the game. I've never felt more confident in dropping 100€ or more on something, this is going to be so fucking good.

BlueSalamander, care to share the name of the artist who worked on the illustrations for the monsters tokens? Some of them are really cool.

Between this one and Owlcat's Wrath of the Righteous, this is a truly blessed year for RPGs kickstarters.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just chipped in to the fund at Diamond Knight level. I'm not even grumbling about the fact Google said £65 was $80.31 and when I PayPal'd it, it was actually £68.

Ok, actually I am grumbling. I lied. But only a low level of grumbling. Like the kind you do when you win the lottery, but it's only £30 and not 5 million.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Sprites are most likely in, we're already at 30k with like a month to go. Huge victory for the forces of incline. Just a question of whether they'll be accompanied by KotC-style perspective. BlueSalamander?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom