Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Farewell into the night

Where can I get OGL 3.5 in pdf?

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Was it mentioned on which platform(steam, gog etc) we'll get the game after the kickstarter? and if the first version will have sprites option or only tokens?

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That six-minute trailer was nice and has me more hyped than I thought possible. I even like the tokens. My only worry about it is all the puzzles. I'm not very good at puzzles. I just want to murder things and take their stuff.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I donated what I think will cover for the £164 tier via the fundraiser. BlueSalamander Tell me if $205 doesn't cover it and I'll add what I have to. I had to put my money where my mouth is. Half of the money to get the games, half as donation. And now, let us never speak about this again.

BlueSalamander

Heroic Fantasy Games
Developer
Pierre, please promise you won't make an update telling me how wonderful and amazing I am.
But you are!! :cool:

@BlueSalamander you might have a look at r/dnd and make your AMA there too. There's 2,6 millions subscribers there and more likely to be interested than r/gaming.
Thank you! I will see if it can be done. Tiavals will also be there at the AMA.

Might be worth hitting the Pathfinder subreddits as well. They might be more receptive to OGL 3.5 stuff.
Okay, I guess I could do the AMA at the three subreddits.

If the sword and book descriptions say they can't wear armor nor boots, but the gelatinous cube entry only mentions an inability to wear armor, does that mean that the gelatinous cube can wear boots?
We'll see, but the gelatinous cube can take the form of a girl. :)

Can they equip weapons? Behold my bow wielding sword!
The sentient sword cannot use other weapons. The other ones may have something like a Spectral Hand effect or something similar.

Hey @BlueSalamander I want to pledge via PayPal. Basically I just use the PayPal donation button on your Website and in the PayPal message to you I just write which pledge tier I want (corresponding to the amount of money I put in, of course)?
Hello there! That's right.

So can I just send you 280€ over PayPal and then everything will work out properly?
Yes, it will work out. Thank you!!

What's the ETA on animated sprites if it hits the stretch goal?
April 2021 as a guesstimate. It's hard to know how much time the graphic designer will need.

Which version of animated sprites did KOTC1 have? 4 directions?
Yes, KotC 1 has sprites with four directions.

Is the 50k goal only your party gets animated sprites? It's going to be awkward if there's a mix between sprites and tokens in this game.
There will be sprites for all the creatures.

The real funding goal is 75k, without it, i dont know if i will even be able to play the game.
Don't worry, we will get sprites for KotC 2.

Does your game support scaling resolution or full-screen mode? I've been watching trailers and I suspect that they've been recorded using some small, windowed mode.
Yes, you can play in full-screen mode. You get to see more of the area around the party.

Was it mentioned on which platform(steam, gog etc) we'll get the game after the kickstarter? and if the first version will have sprites option or only tokens?
Steam, GOG and direct download from www.heroicfantasygames.com. The first version allows you to display the party using the sprites from KotC 1, if you like.

My only worry about it is all the puzzles. I'm not very good at puzzles.
Don't worry about puzzle difficulty. In many cases, the game will give you the solution if you're stuck.

Tell me if $205 doesn't cover it and I'll add what I have to.
Totally awesome!! It covers it. Thank you very much for the great support! :)

If anyone wants to pledge through the Codex fundraiser, please just use Google to convert the GBP amount into US dollars, so that you will know how much you need to pledge.

Thank you everyone for supporting the game!! :)

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
So can I just send you 280€ over PayPal and then everything will work out properly?
Yes, it will work out. Thank you!!

U8xnf3R.png

You're gonna get a nice short story about a foot fetish sorceress into the game now :M

(don't worry I'll keep it lowkey)

Looking forward to the game! :salute:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/2849693

Update #7: How to use special combat situations to increase the Challenge Level of encounters!

Many encounters in Knights of the Chalice 2 can be specially designed to increase the level of challenge without requiring the use of more powerful monsters. Special combat situations can make RPG combat encounters a lot more interesting. Sometimes, the player may be offered a number of dialogue options and each option can alter the resulting combat situation. Here are some examples.

1) Pincer Attacks: One of the most traditional forms of ambush is an attack by enemies positioned on two different sides. What seemed to be a straightforward battle suddenly becomes a lot more complicated for the party, as the wall behind your casters disappears, revealing additional enemies.

2) Using magic to trigger a Rockfall: As the party is moving through a ravine, enemy magic users cast Lightning Bolt to trigger the collapse of boulders upon the party members. Alternatively, a large group of enemies is moving through a ravine and the player can activate a special scroll of Power Lightning found by the party earlier inside a treasure chest.

3) Enemy Waves: So you thought that the battle was nearly over? Enemy reinforcements can be made to join the ongoing fight using a Scene script or Death script. For instance, with a Scene script, you can bring in the reinforcements at the beginning of combat-round number three, and with a Death script, you can bring in the reinforcements when a particular creature is slain.

To make the game even more flexible, I would like to add two more types of combat scripts: the Turn script and Wounded script. The Turn script would be executed at the start of a creature’s turn, while the Wounded script would be executed whenever a creature loses Hit Points.

4) Fighting when the party is Surprised: Another traditional form of ambush is simply to have the enemies be hidden or invisible before combat, and the enemy group reveals itself upon attacking, surprising the party members. If, at the beginning of combat, some but not all of the combatants are aware of their opponents, a surprise round occurs. Combatants aware of the opponents act in the surprise round, while unaware combatants wait.

Combatants acting during the surprise round may take a single standard action or a single move action. Sometimes, the player may be given a chance to surprise the enemy using dialogue options. When NPCs are focusing on their own affairs at the start of combat, they are automatically surprised; only the PCs get to act during the surprise round. When NPCs are expecting trouble because an alarm has been triggered, they cannot be surprised.

5) Death Snares: Typically, a Death Snare is any situation where the party can only move forward. There is no turning back. The party cannot return to a safe place and there is no campfire where the party could rest to recover Hit Points, power points, daily abilities and spell slots.

The player must go through a number of combat encounters in order to escape from the snare. The temporary absence of rest means that the party members must use their spells, powers and abilities very efficiently and conservatively, heightening the challenge level.

6) Fighting while the party is Split Up: There are various reasons for why a party has to split up. Maybe there is a ladder to climb and the ladder can support the weight of two people only. Or maybe you can dive and follow a narrow underwater passage and there will be enemies who attack as soon as they see the first few characters arrive, not giving enough time for the party to regroup.

Normally, when the party is going to be split up, the player chooses one or two characters who go forward without the rest of the party. Each of the two sub-groups may then face battle encounters without help from characters in the other sub-group.

7) Fighting without equipment: At some point, the party may be captured by a powerful enemy group and all of the possessions of the party members may be taken away, possibly to be retrieved at a later point. Or maybe the party is facing a powerful demon and that demon threatens to kill his hostages unless the party hands over a powerful artifact weapon that the demon will use against the party. The player is given the option to comply or not.

8) Secondary Objectives: Normally, the player’s main objective during combat is to defeat the enemy. Sometimes, the party is tasked with a secondary objective, such as keeping a friendly NPC alive or destroying the gate of a fortress.

There can be flexibility in the secondary objectives. For instance, if the party is helping a group of Blue Cloaks (watchmen) fight six Orcs and two Trolls, the secondary objective is to keep alive as many Blue Cloaks as possible. In this case, at the end of combat, the party members will receive bonus experience points for each surviving Blue Cloak.

Another combat encounter may take place in a burning building and time is of the essence if the party is to save the building’s innocent occupants. In this case, at the end of combat, the party members will receive a certain amount of bonus experience points that depends on the number of rounds that the party required to defeat the enemy.

In another encounter, the enemy can sound the alarm and the party would benefit greatly if the alarm wasn’t triggered. So the secondary objective is to stop the enemy from sounding the alarm.

Finally, a combat encounter may be set up so that the enemy leader is healed each round by five floating orbs. Each orb heals the enemy leader for 10 Hit Points. The player may have to destroy some of the orbs in order to slay the enemy leader.

9) Special Environments: Whenever the party is fighting atop a lava bridge, onboard a ship, deep in the jungle, in an underwater cave, or inside the trap-riddled lair of the evil mastermind, it is faced with particular risks and difficulties associated with the encounter’s terrain. Unusual environments can help in creating truly memorable battles. See the KotC 2 chart of environmental effects for more information. You can also find the chart at the bottom of this page and I am reproducing it below:

e79ccbf1b85c37c0a2272fd7945a84c9_original.png

10) Dynamic Traps: Difficult encounters can rely on changing and intensifying environmental hazards. For example, poison gas may be spreading each round inside a gladiatorial arena, forcing the party members to move away or take damage each round. See this GIF animation of spreading poison gas:

1fd786c814313955013a686f815055ce_original.gif

A special combat encounter may force the player to deal with increasing energy damage, such as 2d6 points of cold damage in the first round, 3d6 in the second round, 4d6 in the third round, etc. In this case, the damage would cease when the party has defeated all of the enemies, or it may cease when the party has destroyed a magic pillar, magic statue, magic gem or some other structure that is responsible for the damage.

Tomorrow, I will post a new update focusing on non-linear RPG design.

Thank you for reading! Cheers everyone! :)

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Guarantee of getting foot worship into the game I am guessing.

I cancelled my pledge though KS to get in on the codex fundraiser at diamond knight level.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Dorateen

Arcane
6) Fighting while the party is Split Up: There are various reasons for why a party has to split up. Maybe there is a ladder to climb and the ladder can support the weight of two people only. Or maybe you can dive and follow a narrow underwater passage and there will be enemies who attack as soon as they see the first few characters arrive, not giving enough time for the party to regroup.

Normally, when the party is going to be split up, the player chooses one or two characters who go forward without the rest of the party. Each of the two sub-groups may then face battle encounters without help from characters in the other sub-group.

Like the idea of party splitting, being able to run simultaneous sub-groups and switching back and forth between the two. Haven't done that since Realms of Arkania.

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Already backed on kickstarter but I feel the need to throw some money on the codex campaign as well considering the future of an uncompromisingly brutal enemy party encounter is at stake.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
It looks like it just hit the first stretch goal of some extra feats. I wonder what feats those might be.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I almost wish that there were no graphics options or goals other than the default token presentation... But romances with fully animated BioWare style sex scenes using only the tokens were a stretch goal.

Maybe someday I'll Kickstart my own dream game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom