Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Is that a Belgian way of saying "Schizzle?"

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's gonna be cool when your fighter can't even get 3 attacks per round on max level in this game.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's gonna be cool when your fighter can't even get 3 attacks per round on max level in this game.

The decision to have lv cap = 10 is due the balancefags... A warlock being able to cast a tier 5 spell at every encounter due how the game handles short rest but unable to dish 3d10 damage with eldritch blast will gonna be ludicrous too.

PS : Spells on 5e are already very lackluster compared to 3.5e.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Or because BG1 did it.

BG1 level cap was in reality XP cap. But BG1 is great DESPITE the game being focused on autoattacks from most part, not because of it.

And if you compare BG1 to other games focused on low level gameplay, BG1 is the less retarded.

ToEE throw a DEMIGOD to face a lv 10 party(you only need to survive few rounds BTW but is near impossible non the less). And Dark Sun: Shattered lands is a chore. If you din't multiclassed your characters, good lucky on final battle. There are even enemies at lv 15 on it while you are restricted to lv 9.

Sharpedge

Prophet

The decision to have lv cap = 10 is due the balancefags... A warlock being able to cast a tier 5 spell at every encounter due how the game handles short rest but unable to dish 3d10 damage with eldritch blast will gonna be ludicrous too.

I think its more because it gives them less work to do with the potential of a sequel. They only need to implement up to level 10 of each class that they want to include and if the game is commercially successful (which they expect) there is a good chance they get the opportunity to do a BG 4 which goes 11-20. Larian really doesn't care about balance, their games aren't balanced in the slightest and Swen is on record saying that they leave broken things in their games on purpose for the people who enjoy them.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
the slightest and Swen is on record saying that they leave broken things in their games on purpose for the people who enjoy them.

You managed to make me hiped for the game, a thing which no Larian fanboy managed to do that. I mean, the excuse to put only one summon limit, item fever and cooldown is most of the cases balance. I honestly only played dos2 for like 6 hours so i can't have a in depth opinion.

And lets be real, even if Larian decides to butch necromancers(more than 5e already butchered by reducing the power of undead which you can summon and removing OHK spells), modders will gonna fix it.

Sharpedge

Prophet
the slightest and Swen is on record saying that they leave broken things in their games on purpose for the people who enjoy them.

You managed to make me hiped for the game, a thing which no Larian fanboy managed to do that. I mean, the excuse to put only one summon limit, item fever and cooldown is most of the cases balance. I honestly only played dos2 for like 6 hours so i can't have a in depth opinion.

And lets be real, even if Larian decides to butch necromancers(more than 5e already butchered by reducing the power of undead which you can summon and removing OHK spells), modders will gonna fix it.
There's a lot of broken stuff in their games, so much so that at the end of D:OS 2 if you want to NOT 1 hit everything you have to actively avoid whole lists of things. Off the top of my head:

• Any of the 3 source point skills basically 1 shot everything.
  • Tea (a consumable) makes it so that every action consumes 1 AP. It basically lets you spam all the strongest powers in the game for 1 AP.
  • Terrain Transmutation can move around lava and deathfog. For people who want to do that, you can 1 shot bosses by simply moving terrain around.
  • The whole Barrel Cheese is something that the D:OS games are well known for. Items deal half their weight as damage when they collide with someone, you can put basically an infinite amount of stuff in a chest and then move it around with Telekinesis to 1 shot things.
  • You can put yourself on low HP and then use stuff like equalize to do a massive amount of damage.
  • Probably a lot of other stuff I am not thinking of.
Some of these things (the barrel cheese for example) were present in their previous games. I am sure if they wanted to fix them, it would not be difficult to do so (like putting a limitation on the amount of weight you can move with telekinesis). Whatever their reasons for implementing things, I think balance falls fairly low on the list.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

WHAT?!

Larian : balance = Italians : French. There's a mutual and mystical hate between the two. Everything in Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2 is unbelievably broken. You have skills that cost nothing and are able to one-shot almost every single enemy in the game. You can drag corpses around the map, drop them on the enemies and make them explode for nearly infinite damage. In D:OS 1 at least you need to reach high-tier spells, but in D:OS 2 even with mid-tier ones you can one-shot bosses. Hell, for the first part of the game, even low-tier spells break the game.

And on the "spells in 5E are lackluster compared to 3.5": ABSOLUTELY WHAT?!

5E spells are STRONG. Since everything is extremely toned down in the edition, spells are even more incisive. They are so strong that having two of them active at the same time would completely break the entire game for good: the edition has few rules, but one of its pillars is that you can have only a single spell with a duration active at the same time. In 3.5 magic users were broken because you could combine infinite effects for long periods of time. In 5E this is no longer the case, but this doesn't mean that spells are lackluster. Have you even ever played the game, man?

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
"Everything bad is due to balancefags" is to video game mechanics what "everything bad is due to SJWs" is to political life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom