Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Cat Dude

Savant
y4mBAXVmiBgBNKFZBP9VkwWIsJwXTpqVCEkyLmetO998eUgobqugIwO5q5pZex4IJ8zfsg-ayI0mW6R7ONCZWgBoBspnV_gfzPEcA1zbnZbhU58al3jLQ6nlDLpWhv798MKqnoGok0jaW37McRLC5_suz9RTt_XMywIqegPhTA5hMsboDciHP-KkJKPYgffR419iXk3k92LYq_ANm26yznguQ

found this while was tracking lost disk space. Over 5gb of save files...

OMG 5 gb save files data size for a game graphically could fit into a 16-bit game catridge data space.

Sheepherder

Augur
Hey! Did anyone encountered slow loading times bug?
On my pc the game loads very fast, but on my laptop it takes several minutes (2-3), even though the can is on ssd. It's really annoying...
Loading a save game or loading area transitions? For area transitions try disabling autosave, for save game try disabling AV.

PrettyDeadman

On my pc the game loads very fast, but on my laptop it takes several minutes (2-3), even though the can is on ssd. It's really annoying...
Loading a save game or loading area transitions? For area transitions try disabling autosave, for save game try disabling AV.
I am talking about initial game load. After you open the application but before the main menu appears.

Sheepherder

Augur
I am talking about initial game load. After you open the application but before the main menu appears.
You're outta luck there. Initial game load is a crap-shoot. For some reason it varies wildly across hardware for no apparent reason.

Sheepherder

Augur
I recall that someone linked that issue to windows defender and/or other anti virus behavior with game data?
Yeah, disabling AV will sometimes help. But for some reason, sometimes it will not. Also, disabling windows defender on win10 is a bit of a chore as well.

Okagron

Prophet
I was thinking of getting back to the game after not playing for a couple of months and i was thinking of trying a shotgun build. Anybody got a shotgun build that they could share? I would appreciate it.

Blackmill

Scholar
Late to the discussion, but I don't like oddity. Last time I played it, I went on a 2 hour easter egg hunt to get from level 27 to level 28 before entering the Deep Caverns. Can you even reach level 30 on oddity? I think I ended the game with only a single digit number of oddities not found and had barely passed level 29. I did pretty much every quest except for 2 or 3. Feels like oddity adds a lot needless grinding/searching/walking to the game. I'd rather just place classic mode with reduced XP and not have to worry about killing a bunch of siphoners which in classic I can just ignore.

Sheepherder

Augur
Late to the discussion, but I don't like oddity. Last time I played it, I went on a 2 hour easter egg hunt to get from level 27 to level 28 before entering the Deep Caverns. Can you even reach level 30 on oddity? I think I ended the game with only a single digit number of oddities not found and had barely passed level 29. I did pretty much every quest except for 2 or 3. Feels like oddity adds a lot needless grinding/searching/walking to the game. I'd rather just place classic mode with reduced XP and not have to worry about killing a bunch of siphoners which in classic I can just ignore.
You can reach lvl 30 on oddity, but as you said, it requires some grinding if you get unlucky and going to areas or doing fights that I otherwise ignore. Not that lvl 29-30 matter much. I find oddity good on Dominating for slow burner builds with lockpicking and hacking that need a couple of levels after Depot A to get going. There's enough non combat oddity XP in Core City and Foundry for a few levels, but it becomes repetitive doing the same locations in the same manner for at least an hour for each build right after Depot A.

I was thinking of getting back to the game after not playing for a couple of months and i was thinking of trying a shotgun build. Anybody got a shotgun build that they could share? I would appreciate it.
Here's one I played a while back. Meh early game, but ends up being a beast.
I hadn't checked out this thread in a while, but I randomly came across your post. Share your build?
Sure. I've already deleted that build, but if memory serves me right this is should be about it:
Start with this: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AQcFAwkKAwMPDwAAAAAPAAMAAA8PAA8AAAAADwAADGIx378
Finish with this: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?Hgc...7wofCmMKWS8KPwojChVDCpMK1H-KfowXip74F4rewBd-_

Some notes:
  • Leading shot was very useful in midgame, as there aren't that many evasive enemies in early game (mostly junkyard dogs) but its effect diminished as I raised guns and per. Not necessary if you don't plan to play on dominating or if you plan to put off those encounters for later. In that case drop dex to 3 and put points into int for earlier crafting.
  • 50 effective biology to be able to craft focus stims without food, benches or drug. Get more if you plan to craft bullhead/twitch/aegis/etc. for the faceless commander fight. You can also get those drugs in some of the expedition areas that have medical fabricators or whatever they are called.
  • Critical power only if you use frames with crit dmg over 100.
  • Level 22 and 24 feats are whatever. Kneecap shot might be okay. Level 30 last stand for faceless commander fight.
  • Spec into sixth shell, then full auto, then Crit power.
  • TM to 55 by lvl 10, then 70 for stasis. 25 psychokinesis for the wall.
  • 100 effective throwing. I like my flash-bangs accurate. The less rng the better. Get less if you wanna.
  • Rest of skillpoints into whatever. I raised persuade for the pirate captain to let me attack the protectorate ship alone.
Rest of this shit applies mostly to dominating, so if you don't want to play on autismal don't bother:
  • A few points into lockpicking to be able to open the 10 lockpicking door to the assault rifle lurker in the underpassages before rescuing Newton. MK2 frags one shot all the lurkers in that area. Used 3 total. Pray he drops a 7mm and not a 8mm, or else you'll go broke buying 8mm ammo that early. Or you might get lucky and find a shotgun in a container somewhere.
  • Rest of crafting skill are for 164 quality components, which can be bought in Oculus with 95 mercantile (lol fat chance of getting anything that good) and a 160q supersteel (again lol) with +40q rat leather. So in reality you can knock down 10-30 points. I'm an optimist though.
  • To increase your chances of getting good quality components, make a female char, get mercantile to 95 effective with food asap then rush oculus right after depot a. Female chars don't need persuasion skill in foundry prison. After that, revisit oculus every merchant reset and check for components. Also thank Dude for inventing juice. Which this char won't get for a while.
  • Don't need to max stealth, aimed for +150 effective before coil spiders and maxed before DC to make tchortling areas easier.
  • Did arena past exploder way late. My current knifer did everything at 16 while this had to wait past 20 for carni and even then I needed to win initiative. Carni has 29 initiative while this build has fuck-all even with soda.
  • Killed acid hunters without initiating dialogue.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I just started playing this game and currently stumbling through a psi build. I am probably spreading my non-combat skills a little too thin, but psi seems strong.

I just recently ran into an energy weapon (laser pistol). Are energy weapons a unique niche in this game?

Sjukob

Arcane
So what's a good pure psionic build?
Here's what I play on hard/oddity:

Stats:
Constitution - 10
Willpower - 10
Intelligence - 8
Everything else - 3

For pure psi build core stats are: willpower - 10, intelligence - 6. Everything else is your preference: you can spec 10 int, pump agility and dump constitution if you want. I find that having high constitution is less annoying than running around with non-existent healthpool. You won't become a tank, but you will be fat enough to reliably take some stronger attacks without dying, snipers will still oneshot you though. Every attribute point acquired via leveling goes into willpower, no matter what you've done at the start.

--------------------------------------------

Skills:
Offense - ignore entirely
Defense - ignore entirely
Subterfuge:
  • stealth - If you chose to dump agility then you will need this to be able to act first in battle. You won't have enough points to be stealthy, so just put enough of them here so you can initiate on enemies without them detecting you instantly, obviously it won't work on every foe in the game (crawlers), but generally you should be good.
  • hacking and lockpicking - You've played Underrail before and you know how it goes, put enough points here to be able to crack locks.
  • pickpocketing - you might try this if you chose to raise agility. I have no experience with it though.
  • traps - you don't need this.
Technology:
Chemistry is pointless for pure psi, but you will have to invest in everything else to craft your stuff, biology requires less points than other skills to be effective.

Psi:
  • psychokinesis and metathermics are your primary offensive skills, you should aim to raise them as high as possible.
  • thought control - some people might say to leave it at 75, but I find that even with good gear stronger enemies will be able to resist your abilities pretty often if you do so. I personally would recommend to raise it a bit higher so that you can bypass resistances reliably.
  • temporal manipulation - 70, it's an utility school, no need to go higher.
Social:
It's up to you. Thanks to your high willpower you will be able to persuade and intimidate everyone in the game, you don't even have to put that many points to achive it. You can go mercantile to get stronger gear. I highly recommend to only invest in one social skill.

Generally speaking, pure psi is skill point starved until you get to the later portion of the game, so be mindful about distributing them. You don't have to pump your offensive skills every level, you can choose to put more points into other skills instead, psi is such a powerhouse that you will still nuke and CC everything to death.

Feats:

Pure psi either goes psychosis or tranquility:
  • psychosis - get big damage while you're low on health.
  • tranquility - spend less AP while you're at full health and gain extra psi energy.
I see no point in going psychosis unless you're playing on dominating, the damage it offers is a complete overkill for anything below that difficulty, even tranquility build kills any boss or group of enemies in 1-2 turns on hard, but of course it's up to you how you want to play.

Must have feats:
  • Force user
  • Premeditation
  • Locus of control
  • Psycho-temporal acceleration
  • Either psychosis or tranquility feat chain
The rest is preference. Thick skull, cerebral trauma and hypothermia are useless for you, forget about them.

Psi abilities and gear:

There's no harm in getting them all. Pure psi is all about juggling your abilities and managing cooldowns. However, you won't ever be using force emission, since you're not a melee fighter.

As for the gear. Your best armor is tactical vest with psi beetle carapace. You are going to use all of the psi schools, so get a uni-psi headband with decreased psi ability costs if you play tranquility build, alternatively go for crit damage if you're playing psychosis. The rest is up to you.

If you want more details you can read this guide, it helped me figure out all this magic stuff.

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just started playing this game and currently stumbling through a psi build. I am probably spreading my non-combat skills a little too thin, but psi seems strong.

I just recently ran into an energy weapon (laser pistol). Are energy weapons a unique niche in this game?

Energy weapons can be extremely powerful. I had an energy build with a crafted plasma pistol and laser pistol. The former can one shot almost anything, while the latter has a higher rate of fire. I dont think it's niche, but like everything in underrail there are particular skills you should select in order to enjoy the full potential of the build.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sometimes, persuasion being tied into so many quests kind of sucks. Hard to make the build I want when I have to spend like 50-100 points on persuasion to get the good outcomes.

Sykar

Arcane
Damn, I really need to get another psi game going before Styg ruins them forever.
I'm doing a pure PSI psychosis/survival instinct run right now.
He needs to nerf that shit into the ground.

No all he has to do is stopping PSI Boosters from recovering PSI instantly and instead improve your recovery or maybe even give a debuff for constant chucking of them making them less and less effective until combat is over. Same with Health Hypos. Make the game more attrition based and less instant gibbing should be the goal. As it stands, castrating Psychosis when all it offers is instant gibbing will make it completely undesirable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom