Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The games we played in Covid 2020

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Like many of you (I would imagine) I have had an abundance of "free time" the last few months. When I have free time, I marathon game.

With this volume of extra time, I feel guilty when I marathon too long - there is a lot of shit needs doing around the house, some carpentry projects to bang out, yard needs mowing etc. So, I spasm between getting things done and vegetating in front of my PC with KBM or controller.

I have played a lot of decline this year. I bought a newish game, Disco, which I thought was really clever and ultimately way too short and janky as fuck. Traversing that world is a fucking slog.

Bought The Stick of Truth. Hmmm... not sure I can play this game. I should have done some homework here.

I have played Batman. All of it; have the first two games on PS3 but wanted to play on PC and there was a sale on the collection. I loved these games once.... holy hot garbage Batman, especially Arkham Knight what an amazing pile of shit that game is.

I tried playing DE:MD again... that game still pisses me off. Uninstalled.

The best things I played this year ME3MP and TW3 expansions. That is.... horrible.

So, in our global convalescing, I have found that I still play video games despite mostly hating the modern product.

How about you?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
A lot. I got hooked on blobbers by the crack dealers in the JRPG forum and am now playing Wizardry 8 again and Elminage Gothic for the first time.

After hearing that the PS5 is most likely not downward compatible to PS 1,2,3 only to PS4 I revived my old fat PS3 and bought Persona 3, Nocturne and Suikuden 1, all great games which I missed. Nocturne hooked me the most by far.

I also got into old Castlevania after watching the Netflix series, finished Rondo of Blood and started Symphony of the Night. Rondo of Blood is the kind of action platformer I enjoy, much endlag means you have to make very deliberate movements.

I didnt start those few games in covid, but I am finally close to finsihing Ni No Kuni 1 and Dragon Quest XI. Both good JRPGs, both drag a bit at certain times.

I also got absorbed into Total War Warhammer 2 for the first time, I was never much for Total War before. But making it fantasy was enough to draw me in.

The worst game I started during Covid was Greedfall. It isnt awfull, an Eurojank take on the Bioware formula but it is not punching in the same weight class as the other games here.

On the GoG sale today I bought all of Ultima, Warlords (courtesy to catfood mentioning them everywhere) and Age of Wonders 1+2. So I am able to bunker down and outlast Covid pretty easily.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Final Fantasy III
Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana
Blade Runner
Final Fantasy IV
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Trails from Zero
Shadow Hearts
Underrail
Final Fantasy V

Seems I've mostly been in a jRPG mood lately, FFV and Zero were my favorites of those, FFV especially just being pure fun. Shadow Hearts has a cool setting and overall vibe, but the combat's extremely basic and the judgement ring can go fuck itself. Blade Runner was alright, but a bit too much of running around looking for that one NPC that will let me progress the story. Mankind Divided was surprisingly good, I avoided it until now because of the mixed reception but I found it overall more enjoyable than Human Revolution. Underrail was awesome.

Ivan

Arcane
Doing a great job clearing up my backlog (what I would want to play anyway). Having a solid-to great time with TellTale's Sam & Max games.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Just finished my Mass Effect trilogy renegade-Corona run
Various campaigns as Greek/Roman in EB mod for Rome TW (mid game crashes are slowing things down)
Total War III mod for Napoleon (mainly just doing custom battles)
On-going game of Battle Brothers

That's about it. Work has been sporadic but still there. Might grab a game or two on the gog summer sale soon, have something new to play.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
Although I still have to work (home office he he) I took the opportunity to (re-)visit old classics, since they seem to work better with my autistic escapism.

Finished Ultima 4 two weeks ago (and got PTSD from all the trash combat). Currently playing Wizardry 6 and having a blast with it.

Next on the list is either Ultima 5 or Wizardry 7, or Blade of Destiny not sure yet.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished ATOM RPG, the new Dead City was awesome except certain ambush, you know which one...
Tomb Raider III and IV - Last Revelation. Third game was neat but it was pretty long, sometimes it felt like "way too long for its own good". Fourth game was ok for the most parts, glad it wasn't Egypt-only games as I expected, would be fed up too fast. And that was my end for Tomb Raider saga, not gonna touch the new ones, never liked those automated movies with illusory button inputs.

For now I'm playing Grimoire, after dealing with enemies before you get your hands on Enchanted Blade - it finally clicked.

Falksi

Arcane
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider - wank - :2/5:
  • Devil May Cry 5 - wank - :2/5:
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance - wank - :2/5:
  • Soul Caliber 6 - OK - :3/5:
  • Golden Axe - Brilliant - :5/5:
  • Crackdown - Bit shit - :2/5:
  • Shining Force - OK - :3/5:
  • Shining Force 2 - Brilliant - :5/5:
  • Wonderboy in Mosterland - bit shit - :2/5:
  • Scooby Doo - s'ok - :3/5:
  • Final Fight - Good - :4/5:
  • Golden Axe 2 - Average - :3/5:
  • Golden Axe 3 - Good - :4/5:
  • E-Swat - Meh - :3/5:
  • Toe Jam & Earl - bit pap - :2/5:
  • Streets of Rage - Mint - :5/5:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog - Fucking awful :0/5:
  • Final Fantasy 4 (2) - Good :4/5:
  • Turtles in Time - Good - :4/5:
  • Kenseiden - Steady - :3/5:
And now playing through Phantasy Star 4, Dragon Quest 11 & Final Fight 2.

warframe. will i ever stop playing it?
fallout 4 with 62 mods and ignoring every kind of quest.
blood bowl 2 which i just bought for 9 euros because i like to suffer.
beyond earth + codex mod, which in the end fails because of retarded ai.
some other misc stuff.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Went and broke my left wrist right after the lockdown started, fantastic timing because the ER is about the last place you want to be for an unrelated incident during a pandemic. Anyway, as such I only really played one handed games for most of the lockdown:

- HoMM3
- Stoneshard
- Horizon's Gate
- Master of Magic

That's it. The rest of my time was spent lazing around watching movies and TV shows. :)

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Went and broke my left wrist right after the lockdown started, fantastic timing because the ER is about the last place you want to be for an unrelated incident during a pandemic.
You might have caught them shooting tiktok cringe.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I'm still working full-time, home office every 2nd week, but so far:

• Pathfinder: Kingmaker, finally got around to playing the DLCs
  • Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous alpha test
  • Crusader Kings 2, always have some games going
  • Battle Brothers, always have a game going
  • Fire Emblem Awakening on my phone to play when my wife picks a shitty show or movie to watch
  • Gonna finally fire up Teudogar this weekend probably
And now playing through Phantasy Star 4, Dragon Quest 11 & Final Fight 2.
I played PS4 a long ago but I remember enjoying it as an adolescent, right before the first time I played Arcanum.

Falksi

Arcane
I played PS4 a long ago but I remember enjoying it as an adolescent, right before the first time I played Arcanum.

Before playing it this time round I would have classed it as a certified classic. Must have finished it at least a dozen times as a kid.

However, returning to it now I'm not finding it anywhere near as enjoyable :( That said, I am only around 1/3rd into it, so we'll see how it goes.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Too soon, the year and the coof are not over yet.
Fair enough. I'm now taking an opportunity for masochism and playing MEA.

I can't with the dialog. I can't with the conversation or with any of the goddamned jankiest facial animations ever released... the gameplay is ok, and am playing it through as an exercise in flagellism for some awful cosmic reason. It is worse than I ever imagined.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Stellaris. Has fun atrocities. Multiple types of slavery including extermination through labor, cannibalism, using as livestock. Nerve stapling. Can abduct population for these purposes.

KSP with Realism Overhaul.

typical user

Arbiter
Games I played:
-Doom Eternal (replaying now on Nightmare Mode, gives me a blast as I can start shooting stuff immediately without any foreplay)
-Sims 4 (hate the fact that you need console cheats to have a remote possibility to build and furnish the lot the way you want it)
-Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition (will probably abandon, many quests are just fedex errands, every new location has too many boring people you have to talk with because they might give you XP which isn't really that useful for a game where fighting is an after-thought)
-Dark Souls 3 + DLCs (in coop with friends, that game never gets old and with pvp it is even funnier)
-Saint's Row 2 (having lots of fun, will try to get 100 % since the design holds up pretty good for today, runs like shit - I hope the devs will deliver a remaster patch soon)
-GTA V (mostly Online, but I did have a hour in story mode so it counts I guess)
-Assassin's Creed II
-Assassin's Creed III (couple achievements left, the game had shit story and mostly boring side-activities)
-Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (started recently, it's a slog, will probably speedrun this to get most of the achievements)
-Far Cry 5 (I don't like the gunplay, the story is shit and fights end way too early because of small enemy numbers)
-The Division 2 (still some loose ends to deal with like couple of DLC hunters to kill)
-Jagged Alliance 2 (had a blast playing it on Expert difficulty except the ending, the elite forces with rocket-rifles were damn annoying to deal with)
-Rainbow 6: Siege

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom