Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pokemon used to not be as gay

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I'm a little drunk so it's story time from Bigg Boss.

I can understand the average Codexer scoffing at the notion that Pokemon used to be some worthwhile thing. It's JRPG FAGGOTRY your Gold Boxer might cry. It's not even isometric your monoclefag might yell. Both true things but to a young 10 year old boy with limited options at hand Pokemon Blue (or Red if you are not cool) was amazing. Sure you could play good RPG's elsewhere but could you collect monsters and fight your friend? You could even watch the cheesy Jap cartoon in the morning when you were eating breakfast and working your summer job with DAD! Awesome dude. That kind of thing. The age of GAMEBOY COLOR. That was a thing. We were happy the Gameboy could have color. It sounds so quaint.

But I digress. Zoomers you might not realize it but there was a time not long ago when we...had a limited supply of games to play. I know it's hard to grasp but things were not like they are now. The Wild West of video games. Basically what I am saying is PC purists need to cut some of these games some fucking slack because they established genres that did cool things. Even though their later entries suck cock and should generally be looked down upon I think games like Pokemon earn the RPG moniker due to focusing on the combat in such a way it involves collecting and kicking your friends ass which are two fun video game past times. I hear a lot of noise about Pokemon being decline but any series with twenty entries is decline. I only played Pokemon Blue but I say it was unique and did cool things. Thank you.

Discuss.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Don't be overly offended by the Zoomer label. I think it's hard for people to fully realize the way things are at a certain point in history without some sort of anecdotal perspective to encapsulate it in a comprehensible way. Calling you out like this is a way to initiate that dialog effectively. Besides you clearly have a JRPG avatar so you are not the targeted elitist that thinks all JRPG's are trash and people that like Pokemon aren't real RPG fans. I've seen the types. They might show up.

*waits with toothpick in mouth looking manly*

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Pokemon was always garbage and gay.

Game is way to fucking simple and tirelessly repetitive. Only a masochist would enjoy it.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Basically what I am saying is PC purists need to cut some of these games some fucking slack because they established genres that did cool things.

The only good thing it did was inspire monster collecting in (Shin) Megami Tensei. No wait it didn't

Not sure what else Pokemon was supposed to establish? OCD isn't really cool

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It established fighting against your friends in a RPG type setting with a handheld console. It's the first multiplayer RPG that I can think of as a kid. There is something there that is unique or people would not latch onto it.

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
Used to play this and warlocked on long drives with sis when we went on family road trips. The years of Gameboy color and advance was a great time.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It established fighting against your friends in a RPG type setting with a handheld console. It's the first multiplayer RPG that I can think of as a kid. There is something there that is unique or people would not latch onto it.

the unique thing was to weaponize OCD in very young kids

as for fighting with friends, I did that long before I had a PC or console

Reality

Learned
Bring back the pokemon commercial about the evil Bus Driver luring pokemon into a trash compactor to catch them all.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Pokemon is awesome. Great core mechanics, fun gameplay, tons of different party compositions. The only problem is that the games are for the most part easy. And when I say easy I do mean easy - I'm not one of them modicums-of-challenge-extracting difficultyfags that can often be seen around these parts. There's a couple solutions to this however - using a difficulty romhack of dubious quality, or using some sort of self-imposed challenge; there's hundreds of them probably, and it's easy to come up with your own.

Unfortunately the last couple of generations I don't enjoy as much, mostly because I feel the new mons design has got pretty terrible, but first four or so generations are all great.

Nito

Educated
Patron
I haven't played pokemon since the first generation OP, but I have to agree they're pretty charming simple JRPGs, which was perfect for the early gameboy handhelds. I think where things started to go wrong was when they began to move away from that philosophy of a simple battle monster game you play on the go. Lots of new overlapping features, less focus, more fluff.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
the unique thing was to weaponize OCD in very young kids
This doesn’t even make sense. There is some OCD in competitive but just in playing against friends/AI, it’s not even remotely OCD.
Unfortunately the last couple of generations I don't enjoy as much, mostly because I feel the new mons design has got pretty terrible, but first four or so generations are all great.
I like X/Y the most out of the new games, but definitely prefer the first three generations.

As an addendum: when doing a nuzlocke run (these games’ version of Ironman) even the main game can be decently challenging and spawn some unique playthroughs.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
The series got better and better up until Emerald/Platinum/Black & White (exact opinions on when it became shit vary, I say 4th generation was the last good one), then it collapsed in a burning trashfire. All because their main guy decided that kids now only have the attention span to play smarthphone games, and Pokemon has to cater to that attention span. This is unironically his opinion.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I didn't like Pokemon games in middle school and I don't like them now. Owned original red.

I do think some of the designs are cute, and explorers of sky has a great story if you're a fag like me.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Because I was like 12? Everyone had to own Pokemon Red or Blue on release or get beaten up.

When I played it I scoffed because it was so much simpler than Wizardry 7 I was used to.

flyingjohn

Arcane
1996 ain't the early 80's young man.There was plenty of choice in games in 1996,regardless of genre.

As for pokemon,romhacks and fan games keep the franchise alive for the ones that want difficulty.
For everybody else there are the main installments.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pokemon is a fun idea, it even has a fun setting most of the time. Some weird somewhat sci-fi and yet low-tech world that revolves around monsters being insanely overpowered and yet still accommodating for young people to just explore around. It's ludicrous, but I enjoy it being simpler and revolving around using creatures rather than just dudes with swords.

However the combat system is too simple for my taste, I'd ask for more set/permanent companions but they haven't really gotten that right yet as shown in X/Y, Sun/Moon and Sword/Shield. I'd also wish some Pokemon wasn't just straight garbage, that there would be some method of customization/interaction outside of minigames, and that they could let me turn off the tutorials for once in my damn life.

Basically I want it to be Digimon and Digimon already has it covered. Also Mystery Dungeon is a lot better. And Colosseum.

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Last good Pokemon was Black White 1-2.
It had actually good endgame, music was unique and good , sprite work and it's animation was peak DS , story finally had character devemploment , a good villian and even gym leader did something for the first time , it hard mode after beating first time, Black/White had 151 new Pokemons and wasn't one of few Pokemon that didn't bashed in your head with Gen 1 Nostalgia like Gen 2 , 6 and 8 do now. It's like the last time that they gave shit.

Also Ghetsis theme still a banger to this day.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
but I say it was unique and did cool things.

Unique in taking an idea from SMT and adding multiplayer to it.
Pokemon is basically SMT for children. The multiplayer side of it is alright but the solo part of the game was never really good as the combat there is overly simplistic against nerfed opponents who never really use the full spectrum of what a well balanced team of monsters could do. Pokemon is fun against humans because humans aren't restricting themselves to two or three of the same element you just smash down like they're nothing.
Playing Pokemon solo feels like an autism simulator because the only thing you can really do that might count as """gameplay""" is collect things obsessively.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
As you perhaps know, that was exactly what the inventor of Pokemon was going for, himself a diagnosed autist who used to obsessively collect bugs as a child and wanted to turn the experience into a game.

overly excitable young man

Nah. Pokemon always was pretty gay already.
I wonder why nobody ever got beat up for it. It would have made sense.

Deleted member 7219

Used to play this and warlocked on long drives with sis when we went on family road trips. The years of Gameboy color and advance was a great time.

I played Red, Yellow and Gold on the original Game Boy, and yeah, they were absolutely amazing to play during long car drives. Before Pokemon came along, you played Tetris or Super Mario on the Game Boy, and that was it. Zelda: Link's Awakening was good but it was the only game like it on the Game Boy. Then suddenly we had lite-RPGs you could play for hours and hours and hours at a time.

I'll always have love for the series because of that. Haven't played any of the games since the move from DS, and the DS games weren't that special (except for the Gold/Silver remakes which were great).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom