Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
C

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Wait, are they going to fight over us by the time this adventure concludes?
They are probably going to be dead by then. But maybe we'll get an astra that let's us communicate with ghosts...
They'll be neither alive or dead.

Such is the way of things...

...IN THE BLACK PYRAMID OF NAGASH.

I'm pretty hyped for this dungeon crawl, bros.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die
more like

I saw the horror and unwholesome antiquity of Egypt, and the grisly alliance it has always had with the tombs and temples of the dead.

I saw phantom processions of priests with the heads of bulls, falcons, cats, and ibises; phantom processions marching interminably through subterraneous labyrinths and avenues of titanic propylaea beside which a man is as a fly, and offering unnamable sacrifice to indescribable gods.

Stone colossi marched in endless night and drove herds of grinning androsphinxes down to the shores of illimitable stagnant rivers of pitch.

And behind it all I saw the ineffable malignity of primordial necromancy, black and amorphous, and fumbling greedily after me in the darkness to choke out the spirit that had dared to mock it by emulation.

In my sleeping brain there took shape a melodrama of sinister hatred and pursuit, and I saw the black soul of Egypt singling me out and calling me in inaudible whispers; calling and luring me, leading me on with the glitter and glamor of a Saracenic surface, but ever pulling me down to the age-mad catacombs and horrors of its dead and abysmal pharaonic heart.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think that having no attachments/concerns or whatever it is is a good thing in the Underworld. Normally it's a thread that allows one to find their way to another, or the way back.

Admittedly, I am not sure what a concern for yourself would entail in that context.

Absinthe

Arcane
I guess we're getting our Indiana Jones on a bit early.

I don't think that having no attachments/concerns or whatever it is is a good thing in the Underworld. Normally it's a thread that allows one to find their way to another, or the way back.

Admittedly, I am not sure what a concern for yourself would entail in that context.
I don't think we're actually visiting the afterlife though. I reckon this is more a personality vote than anything. If we're looking for hints, I can point out we've already gotten a hint that getting distracted would be a bad idea here:
Opening your book, you find it blank. For some reason unbeknownst to you, the mapping Astra is not functioning. As such, you have no idea where you are in relation to where you were. For now, there is nothing to do but to advance. You begin your trek across the arch. The stones are weathered and slippery, and the path narrow. It takes you all your concentration not to slip and fall. After some slow and painstaking progress, you finally clear the arch without any mishap, and find yourself standing before the pyramid. This close, the structure is massive – you cannot even see the top from where you are.

Baltika9

Arcane

:|

Bro, we're not in the underworld. We're just really fucking high right now, not unlike the Hashashin* who were inducted with, you guessed it, hashish. I think that the purpose of this test is to reveal the true nature of a person, and the reason we're alone is because each person has to pass their own trial.

This is why I'm voting for Rain, who is basically our daughter and whom we ought to show concern for.

That being said, this is obviously a character choice and I think that the answer we pick will influence the outcome. I think treave wouldn't have made it the only choice in this update otherwise.

That, or he's busy IRL.
+M

*Oh fuck, 'the Herd' is a euphemism for 'Assassins,' isn't it?

:lol:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bro, we're not in the underworld.
I use this as an umbrella term for whatever this is, because high or not, this is a test that not everyone is supposed to pass. There is a challenge there, and we know souls are a real thing, as are gods, and many esoteric traditions and beliefs. This may be our imagination, but the consequences for failure could be more dire than waking up with a headache, else taking up their offer wouldn't have earned us the respect of the nomads by itself.

This is why it might not just be a matter of "focus".
I think that the purpose of this test is to reveal the true nature of a person
And what are your hypotheses for what counts as passing, then?

Baltika9

Arcane
I think that the purpose of this test is to reveal the true nature of a person
And what are your hypotheses for what counts as passing, then?
These rites of initiation usually put an emphasis on facing your flaws and imperfections and overcoming them. I think that this test will pit us against our past. There may even be a 'monster' that will stand in for our abusive guardian.

Success will be measured by whether or not we can overcome our flaws and become a better person, which is also a theme in Sufi mysticism. Failure will be defined as running away from our imperfections.

This may be our imagination, but the consequences for failure could be more dire than waking up with a headache, else taking up their offer wouldn't have earned us the respect of the nomads by itself.

I agree with you, actually, which is why I'm voting to be concerned for Rain. The only reason D is my backup is because it sounds cool, but if we think about this seriously, our lack of attachments may be our greatest weakness.

Absinthe

Arcane
*Oh fuck, 'the Herd' is a euphemism for 'Assassins,' isn't it? :lol:
For the record: the historical Assassins' order used Persian as their language, not Arabic. Still, that doesn't preclude them from being assassins, but then they're probably a different group.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I agree with you, actually, which is why I'm voting to be concerned for Rain. The only reason D is my backup is because it sounds cool, but if we think about this seriously, our lack of attachments may be our greatest weakness.
What's wrong with having a character with weaknesses? I think roleplaying as someone who can't really feel emotions due to his childhood, but makes the right decisions because he knows they're the right thing too do would be pretty great. Opens up the opportunity for some good old "ends justify the means" type shit.

Baltika9

Arcane
What's wrong with having a character with weaknesses? I think roleplaying as someone who can't really feel emotions due to his childhood, but makes the right decisions because he knows they're the right thing too do would be pretty great. Opens up the opportunity for some good old "ends justify the means" type shit.
Well, weaknesses aren't good by definition, and I think that this initiation rite is all about overcoming them on the road to becoming a better person. That is, we should overcome whatever our weakness is to pass this test. Besides, being an emotionally constipated autist is a bad thing in and of itself.

But, yes, it makes sense from a character-building perspective. And it allows us to LARP John Wick, so there's that.
+M

Tigranes

Arcane
Having thought about it, I do think it's realistic for us to feel concern for the girls and especially Sophie at this point. Wrinkly is a stoic boy, but he's also a 10 year old who grew up with all sociability trained out of him, and he's now had his first experience of working with people who have learnt to respect him in some small way. Having just unilaterally decided to put them all into this current predicament, I think Wrinkly in particular would feel the way Nevill described:

I kinda feel bad for our sis. She keeps getting dragged from one situation into another against her will, this time when her fear of being alone used against her better judgement. While growing a thicker skin and getting a hang on the adventuring is a necessary process, I wish she had a less rough time of it.

Flop to B.

Baltika9

Arcane
===Tally===
A - 0
B - 8
C - 5 (4)
D - 0
E - 7 (8)

Nevill - B
Tigranes - B
Kipeci - B>!E
hello friend - B
Lambchop19 - B>C>A
Baltika9 - B>C>A
ItsChon - B
Esquilax - B

baud - C
Grimgravy - C
a bear named spigot - C
Kalarion - C
MoistCloister - C>E

CappenVarra - E>C
ERYFKRAD - E
Orbit - E
asxetos - E
Azira - E
Absinthe - E
Kz3r0 - E

===

and he's now had his first experience of working with people who have learnt to respect him in some small way.
I'll put aside my usual banter for now: I think that the people we've met since we left our cabin have been exceedingly nice to us, considering that we're a weird, disfigured boy from the woods. Rain and Father McClellan are super cool, yeah, but Andrew invited us on an adventure, Sophie is beginning to trust us and Liz is even helping us develop our speaking skills, and just being Liz in general. Faced with this reality, there is no reason to be a gloomy, brooding stoic. The world seems to be opening it's arms and embracing us, I think it is fair and good to return this embrace.

Rain is still my first pick, because she's our ward/little sister/daughter (I have no idea what our relationship is), but I'll flop to C>!E. Yeah, we roped Sophie into this against her will, but she could have chosen to not go along with peer pressure, being a teenager with the (hypothetical) ability to reason. Rain is a little baby, and we are, at least, her guardian. I think that we ought to be concerned for her well-being in our absence most of all.

As far as this trial is concerned, I think that Lambchop19 was semi-correct: this is an Islamic sect and they are giving us a test of character. They gave us a heavy hallucinogenic drug that induced a trance-like state; this was done to lead us to a profound spiritual experience. And when we wake up, the chief (their teacher?) will want to have a philosophical discussion with us and ask us questions like 'what have you learned?' and 'how will you apply this to better your life?'

It might be that accepting their initiation rite was the test, but I doubt it.

Or maybe we really were teleported into the Black Pyramid of Nagash, and we'll have to solo the greatest necromancer who ever not-lived, because that's how hardcore their children are.
+M

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
===Tally===
A - 0
B - 3 (4)
C - 3
D - 8
E - 0

Nevill - B
Tigranes - B
Kipeci - B

Baltika9 - C>!E
baud - C
Grimgravy - C

CappenVarra - E
ERYFKRAD - E
hello friend - E
Orbit - E
ItsChon - E
asxetos - E
Azira - E
Absinthe - E

===

and he's now had his first experience of working with people who have learnt to respect him in some small way.
I'll put aside my usual banter for now: I think that the people we've met since we left our cabin have been exceedingly nice to us, considering that we're a weird, disfigured boy from the woods. Rain and Father McClellan are super cool, yeah, but Andrew invited us on an adventure, Sophie is beginning to trust us and Liz is even helping us develop our speaking skills, and just being Liz in general. Faced with this reality, there is no reason to be a gloomy, brooding stoic. The world seems to be opening it's arms and embracing us, I think it is fair and good to return this embrace.

Rain is still my first pick, because she's our ward/little sister/daughter (I have no idea what our relationship is), but I'll flop to C>!E. Yeah, we roped Sophie into this against her will, but she could have chosen to not go along with peer pressure, being a teenager with the (hypothetical) ability to reason. Rain is a little baby, and we are, at least, her guardian. I think that we ought to be concerned for her well-being in our absence most of all.

As far as this trial is concerned, I think that Lambchop19 was semi-correct: this is an Islamic sect and they are giving us a test of character. They gave us a heavy hallucinogenic drug that induced a trance-like state; this was done to lead us to a profound spiritual experience. And when we wake up, the chief (their teacher?) will want to have a philosophical discussion with us and ask us questions like 'what have you learned?' and 'how will you apply this to better your life?'

It might be that accepting their initiation rite was the test, but I doubt it.

Or maybe we really were teleported into the Black Pyramid of Nagash, and we'll have to solo the greatest necromancer who ever not-lived, because that's how hardcore their children are.
+M
You gave E's votes to D.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Ok, none of this is real, but I assume the consequences of it are very real.

He is right. It would be pointless for you to challenge the trial while being suspicious of them. They nomads do not lead you far – you find yourself waiting just right outside the oasis. Having you and the girls stand close together, they draw a circle around you in the sand. Small metal braziers are placed all around you at regular intervals. While chanting, they light up the braziers. A fragrant smoke rises into the air – it is almost suffocatingly sweet, and you feel slightly faint upon inhaling it.
At that moment, you feel something change beneath your feet. The sand seems to be… sinking. You look down, and find that your ankles are already buried. Yet, you are unable to move. Your legs, your arms, even your neck - they are all frozen, unable to move even the barest inch. You cannot hear anything except the droning chant, which has grown gradually louder without you noticing. As your body continues to sink, deeper and deeper into the sand, your eyes meet that of the man. He looks back at you impassively, his gaze expressionless. It remains the same even when the darkness takes you, as the sand flows over your head.
Opening your book, you find it blank. For some reason unbeknownst to you, the mapping Astra is not functioning.

The question may seem trivial, but it's important.

Close.

The trial may lead to our death. It may also be possible to interact with the girls during it.

It is definitely an illusion, but not a normal one.

Baltika9

Arcane
Close.

The trial may lead to our death. It may also be possible to interact with the girls during it.
Then it would make sense for us to choose concern for Sophie. Maybe it that's what will allow us to connect with one another, and I'm genuinely concerned for her safety if this is a potentially lethal experience. Elizabeth can probably do without us, she's stronk and independent.
It is definitely an illusion, but not a normal one.
They gave us that good shit: ayahuasca straight from Joe Rogan's secret stash.

Last edited:

Ok, so I'm torn between being honest and strategic.

I think that worrying about someone might either draw them into our delusion, possibly for real, or do something negative.

I am worried about Sophie, since this is affecting her, though she seems to have more fight in her lately.

I am also worried for Rain, as I have no idea what is happening to her now. And if we can truly draw her in and make contact with her, will she be a baby or will she be older so she can communicate with us? Might be interesting.

Alternatively, focusing on what we have to do might be positive in that we can get what we need to do done, or negative, in that we might not have help, or the girls might not have help, or it could have psychological effects down the line.

Baltika9

Arcane
I am worried about Sophie, since this is affecting her, though she seems to have more fight in her lately.
Me too. She didn't even want to be here, and that may affect her chances of succeeding and surviving. I think we ought to care for our adoptive sister, if only because we dragged her into this.

I am also worried for Rain, as I have no idea what is happening to her now.
She's either asleep or eating baby formula. We left her in the village, so the Odds are Good that she's right as rain.
*badum-tss*

or it could have psychological effects down the line.
It definitely will. I often compare us to John Wick, and E is the John Wick choice, but let's be honest: that character is a complete lunatic, and a bad role model for all things except combat. We already have problems with socializing and forming emotional attachments, E will only continue us on that path. I'm not super hyped about it.

Last edited:

You outline my feelings precisely and, while Rain may have been seen and taken by Rasputin, we can't help her at the moment anyway, so I say we focus on the ones who do need us and whom we can help.

B>C>A - Sophie. Especially since both Liz and us just now may have screwed with her head.

I also agree we shouldn't pick E. I don't want to play a zombie with no thoughts of his friends. We were always thinking about others from minute one in this let's play.

Baltika9

Arcane
Especially since both Liz and us just now may have screwed with her head.
Oh shit. Good looking out, bro. I totally forgot about this part:
The tribe continues to perform their droning chant, dancing in circles around you.

“I suppose the trial is to resist falling asleep from boredom?” whispers Elizabeth.

“If that’s the case, you would definitely fail. I’ve never seen you keep your eyes open for even an hour during Sunday school,” retorts Sophie.

“Oh my, you paid attention to me? I’m flattered. I thought you only had eyes for Andrew. Right, Wrinkly?”

“Why are you bringing him into this?”

“I agree with Elizabeth,” you say quietly. She is, from your personal experience, correct about Sophie’s behaviour whenever Andrew is around.

“You too?” Sophie sounds rather aggrieved.

Flipping to your vote.

Absinthe

Arcane
I don't like B. It feels like it'll signify MC having feelings for Sophie. I'm pretty sure this is more a vote on who we care about the most, and you guys are trying to game it.

E>Not B or A for me. I'd rather stick with stoicism and keeping our cards open. Failing that, our little girl is our responsibility.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom